what are you trying to give up for braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kennyandrew85

Re: what are you trying to give up for braces

#16 Post by kennyandrew85 »

All i have given up is curry, I will only eat it when I know the adjustment is not far away as i can't stand having yellow bands on clear ceramics.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

AM21

#17 Post by AM21 »

Robot Teeth wrote:Crack.
Haha!!
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

AM21

#18 Post by AM21 »

tarabears wrote:I'm a big chocolate eater, so there were a lot of candy bars I had to unfortunately give up :( Nutrageous bars, snickers, butterfingers, etc.
I know exactly how you feel! The day I realized I couldn't eat a snickers or a Hershey with Almonds was a sad day for me. lol

AM21

#19 Post by AM21 »

kennyandrew85 wrote:All i have given up is curry, I will only eat it when I know the adjustment is not far away as i can't stand having yellow bands on clear ceramics.
What does curry taste like? I've always wanted to try it.

ashesgap

#20 Post by ashesgap »

AM21 wrote:
kennyandrew85 wrote:All i have given up is curry, I will only eat it when I know the adjustment is not far away as i can't stand having yellow bands on clear ceramics.
It's a very intense, specific flavor. That's why there are people who either love it, or hate it.
There's a product in the Asian section of the grocery store called Golden Curry. It's easy for a beginner to make, and is really good. I have a recipe if you ever want to try it. :D
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

luchababe

#21 Post by luchababe »

Popcorn.

But as for eating chocolate, why give it up? My dentist said if you're going to eat something sweet it's better to eat chocolate than hard candy or chewy stuff like gummy bears or sour keys. Why? Because the heat of your mouth will dissolve the chocolate left in your mouth faster than hard candy or chewy candy. Think about it...

bracketeer

#22 Post by bracketeer »

GUM! :-((
Embraced in a heavy metal romance with Damon since 8/10/11. This affair is destined to last at least 12 months : )

Robot Teeth

#23 Post by Robot Teeth »

AM21 wrote:
Curry is a smooth but powerful concoction of a few different spices that adds a buttery savory quality. It is typically used in eastern and middle-eastern foods. There are a few different types of curry, but all of them are powerful-tasting and stain things. Writing this just made me want some! I'll experiment with some Thai food in the week before I get my ligatures changed so that if they stain it won't be a big deal.

BracedGeek

#24 Post by BracedGeek »

Gummi Bears. :cry:
Metal braces from March 2011 until October 2012. Hawley retainers since October 2012.

AM21

#25 Post by AM21 »

ashesgap wrote:
AM21 wrote:
It's a very intense, specific flavor. That's why there are people who either love it, or hate it.
There's a product in the Asian section of the grocery store called Golden Curry. It's easy for a beginner to make, and is really good. I have a recipe if you ever want to try it. :D
Hmm it sounds interesting! Sure, I'd like the recipe! Thanks! :)

Mauvaise

#26 Post by Mauvaise »

Hot Tamales (my favourite!), beef jerky, popcorn. :cry:

I'll ask my ortho, but do I have to give up carbonated stuff? I love club soda and like to mix it with a little Vitamin Water (Power-C flavor only), I'd hate to give up either of them.
In full braces for 2 years, 3 weeks, 1 day.

My Saga (Innovation-C upper/lower) here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=40053

drgnchsr36

#27 Post by drgnchsr36 »

BracedGeek wrote:Gummi Bears. :cry:
I love gummy bears, I still eat those :) Just carefully!

drgnchsr36

#28 Post by drgnchsr36 »

TinkB wrote:Nothing here. :BigGrin:

I am just real careful.

I couldn't give up soda and coffee either. I just brush right after.
Brush about an hour after you drink soda or else you can hurt your enamel on your teeth...

AM21

#29 Post by AM21 »

luchababe wrote:Popcorn.

But as for eating chocolate, why give it up? My dentist said if you're going to eat something sweet it's better to eat chocolate than hard candy or chewy stuff like gummy bears or sour keys. Why? Because the heat of your mouth will dissolve the chocolate left in your mouth faster than hard candy or chewy candy. Think about it...
That's very true, it does! I guess since chocolate is sugary, I just lumped it into the category of things I shouldn't eat. Plus, when I eat chocolate, I don't eat it in moderation either. So I just need to at least limit how much I eat and make sure to brush my teeth right after. Thanks :)

dojo

#30 Post by dojo »

Keeping from coffee and coke was easy, since I don't drink either. Have also tried to stay away from foods that were tough to bite and chew. In the end I didn't have any intention in having loose brackets after a meal :D
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces