EXTRACTIONS!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crooked rory

Re: EXTRACTIONS!

#16 Post by crooked rory »

Do you remember what happened while under the IV sedation? When I made my appointment, I basically said I want "wake me up when you are done" instead of local anesthesia. I had thought this meant IV sedation, but I think what I got was full general anesthesia. I remember nothing until I got out of bed at home. They used like 5ml of fentanyl citrate / midazolam mix. I do not care one way or another, as it was a pleasant an experience as having teeth pulled could be, but am still curious. I am going to ask Dr. M.G. when I go back for my follow-up.

denSMSgt

#17 Post by denSMSgt »

I had a like dreadful experience with extractions when I was a teen and again with lower wisdom teeth that had to be cut out in my early 20s. I had those first, what are they, the pre-molars removed at I think 15-ish prior to old-school braces (all bands on all teeth) the first time. Upon asking ortho about it years later, his thought was that the extractions were very likely un-necessary because the crowding wasn't that bad. I had the usual issues with those initial four teeth, and with the wisdom teeth, yep, dry socket. No fun at all.

Mauvaise

#18 Post by Mauvaise »

crooked rory wrote:Do you remember what happened while under the IV sedation?
I didn't. Generally with IV sedation (twilight) they use Versed as one of the 'ingredients' which has a wonderful amnesiac quality.

I had the same thing (IV sedation) when I had three wisdom teeth extracted (two were impacted) and I have zero memory, but my friend said she could hear me screaming from the lobby.

No screaming to be heard with bicuspid extraction :)
In full braces for 2 years, 3 weeks, 1 day.

My Saga (Innovation-C upper/lower) here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=40053

anngie27

#19 Post by anngie27 »

I had ALL four wisdom teeth extracted at once 1 month ago and did not do sedation. only had the injections to numb. I can tell you that the worst part is the pressure and all the noises you hear while its going on. One of my wisdom teeth were impacted and that was the worst to come out being that it had to be drilled in half before being pulled out. I'm a dental chicken, but opted for not sedation because I didn't want to be put out. It's doable, but not pleasant by any means.

crooked rory

#20 Post by crooked rory »

anngie27 wrote:I had ALL four wisdom teeth extracted at once 1 month ago and did not do sedation. only had the injections to numb. I can tell you that the worst part is the pressure and all the noises you hear while its going on. One of my wisdom teeth were impacted and that was the worst to come out being that it had to be drilled in half before being pulled out. I'm a dental chicken, but opted for not sedation because I didn't want to be put out. It's doable, but not pleasant by any means.
You are certainly tougher than me, and I doubt a dental chicken. I may be a bit of a masochist at times, but even still you could not have paid me to be concious during that.... I was awake the last 10 minutes of my wisdom teeth, which took almost an hour to remove due to complications, but was so stoned by nitrous and residual general anesthetic that they could have poked my eyes out and I would not have cared.

Annieapple

#21 Post by Annieapple »

Please don't worry....I have such a FEAR of the dentist, so much so I kept putting off my braces for years until I realised I just have to suck it up if I want to have straight teeth! I think the key is finding a dentist who you trust...I currently have had SEVEN teeth removed so far - 4 wisdom and 3 premolars!!! If you had told me before I started with my braces that I would have had to have undergone this I most certainly would have pulled out!!!! But it was only as time went on that I had to have the teeth pulled so I wasnt told that I would have to have seven out in one go!
I had 3 wisdom teeth and 2 pre-molars out in one go..I was knocked out for this and sailed through it! I was so so nervous as my best friend had her wisdom teeth out the week before me and suffered really really bad with them and got really sick so I was terrified! But I was so so lucky in the sense that I didn't suffer AT ALL, didnt even have to take the really strong painkillers they gave me, just normal panadol!!! I was delighted! Obviously it was not a comfortable experience having all these holes in my mouth but it went much much better than I thought it would!
I also had to my fourth wisdom tooth and another pre molar out and my general dentist did this for me! I feel it is here that it is so important to have a dentist that you trust..He knew that I had an awful fear of the dentist and he made it as comfortable as he could for me! Surprisingly the wisdom tooth came out MUCH easier than the premolar! As my upper teeth are so crowded my pre molar had been under so much pressure that it had twisted in the opposite direction and some of it had been forced up into my palate! So this one took ALOT of PULLING and GRUNTING! Definitely not the nicest experience but it cam out and then it was over....

I really am not lying when I say that I have a fear of the dentist and am so proud of myself getting this far and trust me if I can do it, you can! good luck xx