Cost?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Flossify

Re: Cost?

#16 Post by Flossify »

Hi everyone,

I am from the UK and trying to find a recommended good orthodontist for a anterior openbite, Braveface74, kellyb and Domino, can you share how you found your orthodontists? It's difficult to know where to start, I don't want to pay for consultations with an orthodontist I don't know much about if that makes sense! If anyone could provide personal recommendations, I would be grateful!

braceface74

#17 Post by braceface74 »

Maybe you could get a recommendation from your Dentist?

I only went for the one consultation and it was with the ortho is within my dental practice, i was confident in my choice.

hope that helps,
good luck.
Braces journey 16/01/2012 - 03/06/2013 :)

My Braces story

MrsCharisma

#18 Post by MrsCharisma »

I'm in the US.

Mine are $5045 including X-rays and retainers. I put 10% down and am paying $189 for 24 months.

I needed no other dental work to start but will probably get the frenum (??) surgery after and perm retainer on upper teeth ($375).

Flossify

#19 Post by Flossify »

Hi Braceface,

Thats a good idea, my dentist gave me a couple of places but her emphasis was on who was nearer to me and I should of stressed more who is it she would recommended herself! I have not been at that dentist long as moved house recently, and so wasn't sure if their recommendations were to be trusted if that makes sense.

BraceFace2o1o

#20 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I am paying just under £3000 for my upper and lower metal braces, it also includes all appointments, retainers and 1 year checks after the brace is removed.

If you are a private patient (to get a brace on the NHS when you're over 18 you have to have a severe case, the rules changed in 2008) and your ortho wants teeth extracted then you'll also need to pay your dentist for the extractions.

I needed a lower impacted wisdom tooth removed and because it was causing me pain and possible infection I got it removed on the NHS for a lot cheaper, otherwise I would have had to pay private fees for it.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

katsface

#21 Post by katsface »

Domino wrote:A lot of the UK costs here are quite significantly more than mine for some reason! Mine, with ceramic tops and metal bottoms, comes to £2795, which includes retainers and such at the end. It'll be for two years. I pay about £700 to begin with, then bi-monthly payments over the two years. I also have to have 4 extractions, which will be about £160.

I'm not sure why my treatment is cheaper than others. Typically, my dentist is actually expensive for most things. Perhaps it's the amount of work that needs doing to my teeth (judge for yourself on my story), but it still is two years, so I'm not sure! Perhaps location in the UK is critical (London might be more expensive than where I am).
Are you going to your regular dentist for braces, or a certified orthodontist? I've read that Dentists will often charge less for ortho work because they're technically not as qualified and will typically take less complicated cases.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

kellyb

#22 Post by kellyb »

Flossify wrote:Hi everyone,

I am from the UK and trying to find a recommended good orthodontist for a anterior openbite, Braveface74, kellyb and Domino, can you share how you found your orthodontists? It's difficult to know where to start, I don't want to pay for consultations with an orthodontist I don't know much about if that makes sense! If anyone could provide personal recommendations, I would be grateful!

apologies, i am just seeing your msg. i sent you the details in a private msg. the ortho i use was recommended by my dentist and i couldn't be happier.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

Veviticus

#23 Post by Veviticus »

I'm in America and I have decided to get my braces done at a dental school, which is much cheaper.
The total cost is $3500.00 which includes consultation, x-rays, impressions, teeth cleaning, extractions or fillings (if needed) and the braces themselves.
I put down an initial payment of $700.00 and the monthly payment will be $100.00.

The only drawback is that the process takes longer because the dentists/students work has to be approved by the head orthodontist, but that's okay.

I'll be getting the metal braces, upper and lower.
I had a choice to choose the clear or ceramic braces at no extra cost, but I'm going with the metal.

Right now I'm waiting for the orthodontist to call me to come in to discuss the plan of treatment, but I have already been told that I will probably have the braces on for about 30 months or so.

jens1

#24 Post by jens1 »

I am from the US. I am paying a little over $6000. I had two opinions, both were about the same price. One wanted half down and used traditional metal braces. The other wanted $1600 down but they added my insurance to the down payment which took it down to $600 and they use the damon system. I chose the doctor who uses the damon system, I am getting clear upper braces and metal lower.

Okate

#25 Post by Okate »

I'm in England and I'm getting the Damon braces. Mine are costing £3,650 Inc retainers. But I gotta pay £160.00 per month for 18 months