How long before braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

belistic10

Re: How long before braces?

#16 Post by belistic10 »

my process was about 2months, as i had a initial appointment and the nurse did the photos, xrays etc, then the ortho did his assessment and printed a treatment plan out and my options. I had to have some extractions to make room, so i did that soon after at a dentist and then got back in for the braces about 6weeks after that.

vincent168

#17 Post by vincent168 »

My ortho separates the banding and bracing (wires and brackets) procedures by a 1 week interval. Sounded strange to me, probably isn't typical right?

plugnickel69

#18 Post by plugnickel69 »

Once I decided to go ahead I scheduled a records appointment for the following day and installation appointment 8 days later. The slow wait turned into full speed ahead instantly.

tfischer

#19 Post by tfischer »

Seems that each ortho office can be different. Mine went like most - first consult to see what would need to be done; 2nd was the impressions, xrays and pictures. 3rd was the upper braces - my 1st appt was on 12/16/11 and I was braced 12/28 - guess it depends on how busy the ortho office is and what all needs to be done.....

rtergeggde

#20 Post by rtergeggde »

for me it took 4 weeks.

i remember how excited i was prior to getting them, now after 2 and a half years i want them off really badly.

Huggypillow

#21 Post by Huggypillow »

I had my initial consult, then i went back to my regular dentist for some tidy up work over a 2 week period ( shes in the next room mind you ).

Then basically after that my brace date was set for may 11th 2011 i had moulds, x rays, photos and bracing done at the same appointment.

From consult to braces was 2 weeks.

Not long really although it seemed like was never going to come.

batwing

#22 Post by batwing »

My situation is a little more complicated because surgery is involved.

I had my initial visit, met the ortho and assistants, toured the office etc. At the same appointment I did my Xrays, photos, and casts. I think this is sometimes split into a second appointment but I was gung-ho and wanted to get it done.

They took 10 days to review my records the dentist sent over and the ones they took. Then I went in and had a second consultation where I was given my treatment plan.

My treatment plan includes surgery, so now I have a surgery consultation in two weeks. This is now 3 weeks into the process.

My next Orthodontist appointment is in mid-March, and that is almost 6 weeks after my first consultation. This next one, my third ortho appointment, is a "mini consultation". We will go over what the surgeon recommends, and then make an appointment for one extraction. If he goes through the doctor that did my wisdom teeth (crossing my fingers!) I should be able to get in for that in another two weeks.

Then ANOTHER two weeks after that I'll be able to get braced.

So all told, for me it's about 2 1/2 to 3 months from first consultation to brace day, but with lots of action in between.

@vincent168- I've met with my orthodontist at every appointment. As far as consultations go, the assistants only do the casting, xrays, and photos at my ortho's office.

pellepee

#23 Post by pellepee »

batwing wrote:
> My situation is a little more complicated because surgery is involved.
>
>

Is this the case with most surgical corrections?

I have been given the all-clear to move on from jaw re-positioning to braces and have my "first" consultation (really second, as the ortho referred me to get my jaw re-positioned to begin with) on the 6th Feb. Obviously me needing surgery is only my speculation... if I do need surgery is there another round of consults with the surgeon to be expected first? Is this the norm?

Just want to get the ball rolling because the sooner they are put on, the sooner they come off and I can bite food with my front teeth for the first time ever! :)

batwing

#24 Post by batwing »

pellepee wrote:batwing wrote:
> My situation is a little more complicated because surgery is involved.
>
>

Is this the case with most surgical corrections?

I have been given the all-clear to move on from jaw re-positioning to braces and have my "first" consultation (really second, as the ortho referred me to get my jaw re-positioned to begin with) on the 6th Feb. Obviously me needing surgery is only my speculation... if I do need surgery is there another round of consults with the surgeon to be expected first? Is this the norm?

Just want to get the ball rolling because the sooner they are put on, the sooner they come off and I can bite food with my front teeth for the first time ever! :)

I think it depends on the type of surgery, but the norm is to consult with the surgeon first. Even when I had my impacted wisdom teeth out with a maxillofacial surgeon, I had to do a consult a week before to go over pre-surgery instructions and aftercare, fill out insurance paperwork, review my health records.

I'm with you on wanting to get them off as fast as possible! I keep getting months tacked on to the end and what looked like a short time is becoming more and more daunting.
Central Ossifying Fibroma removed from mandible 3/8/2012, braced 5/24/2012, One piece Le Fort I performed 12/11/2013, debraced 8/26/2014

pellepee

#25 Post by pellepee »

Yeah that makes sense, thanks batwing. I hadn't even considered having to meet with a surgeon first-ish so now I know what I'm in for; so I don't get disappointed when I have to wait for *another* appointment. The ortho I am seeing now is in the CBD so it is usually a 4 week wait for consults... frustrating!

Cheers again; good luck everyone I can't believe how scary yet exciting braces are!

vincent168

#26 Post by vincent168 »

Can I also ask, how does the duration of the treatment vary?
Is it the more crooked the teeth, the longer it takes to fix? Age? Underbite/overbite?

batwing

#27 Post by batwing »

vincent168 wrote:Can I also ask, how does the duration of the treatment vary?
Is it the more crooked the teeth, the longer it takes to fix? Age? Underbite/overbite?

24-30 months is the estimate for me, but I'm prepared for him to extend it to 36 months. I have some crowding, but the majority of my problem is my bite and lack of space.
Central Ossifying Fibroma removed from mandible 3/8/2012, braced 5/24/2012, One piece Le Fort I performed 12/11/2013, debraced 8/26/2014