day one with Damons.. the bite turbos are driving me insane!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ashenk224

Re: day one with Damons.. the bite turbos are driving me ins

#16 Post by ashenk224 »

Believe me the turbos were not fun...but I promise it does get better. My lisp is nowhere near as bad as it was. Most people tell me they don't even notice it now. And eating gets better. I can pretty much eat anything. Bread tends to get stuck on the turbos but its not that bad. I hardly even notice my turbos now. I know it sucks right now but give it time!

Estimated length of treatment: 26 months
Current Debanding Date: 5/28/2014

auco99

#17 Post by auco99 »

ashenk224 wrote:Believe me the turbos were not fun...but I promise it does get better. My lisp is nowhere near as bad as it was. Most people tell me they don't even notice it now. And eating gets better. I can pretty much eat anything. Bread tends to get stuck on the turbos but its not that bad. I hardly even notice my turbos now. I know it sucks right now but give it time!
Thanks for the encouragement. My lisp is awful. I don't even like talking to myself (let's call it "practicing" so I don't sound weird) because I can't stand to hear it. My wife keeps telling me she doesn't notice, but she is just being nice because it is DEFINITELY there, and it actually makes me mad that she won't admit it. I am a 6'4" 35-year old grown man and sound like Cindy Brady.

I can't see how on earth eating will get better given how far apart my uppers and lowers are from meeting but I hope you're right.
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

ashenk224

#18 Post by ashenk224 »

I only talked when I needed to because my lisp was so bad. I didn't think I would be able to eat either, and at first I couldn't really chew because my back teeth didn't meet, but eventually I was able to. I've had my braces for two months now and my teeth line up enough to eat normally. I even eat foods from the no list except nuts. The only other thing I can't eat is pineapple (unless its chopped up into smaller pieces) because I bit into a piece once and it pulled my wire out.

Estimated length of treatment: 26 months
Current Debanding Date: 5/28/2014

OldBikerBag

#19 Post by OldBikerBag »

I have Damons, too, with bite blocks (turbos) on my first upper molars. The lisp is about gone and I've figured out ...sort of... how to chew. I'm finding I don't really chew rice so much as separate the kernels from each other. I swallow my food less ground up than I'm used to. Doesn't seem to make any difference to the rest of my body, though.

I'm thinking I will be getting a scowl from the ortho and new bite blocks next time, though. It feels like I've ground these ones down to nubs. It was very difficult for me to resist clenching hard on them the first week. Cool thing about them, though, it's the first time my molars have actually lined up in, well, ever. My TMJ is almost gone and I don't have that ache in my jaw anymore.
385 Days in Damon Braces