Eating habits with braces!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OldBikerBag

Re: Eating habits with braces!

#16 Post by OldBikerBag »

There's a no-no list?? :shock:
385 Days in Damon Braces

xanidu2012

#17 Post by xanidu2012 »

Hey biker! Yes I got a no-no refrigerator magnet and on it it has: tacos, popcorn, nuts, pizza crust, apples, lollipops, sticky gooey foods :lol: I also got a folder that continued the no-no lists.

AM21

#18 Post by AM21 »

When I first got braces, I was afraid of eating foods from the no-no list because I really didn't want to break anything.. but as time went on, I realized as long as I chew slowly and carefully, then it's ok. Now, I eat popcorn, chips, cashews, pizza. I won't eat corn on the cob, raw carrots or whole apples until the braces come off.
Braced: August 1, 2011
Sentence: 30 Months
My Braces Blog: http://www.metalmouthtales.blogspot.com

Johnie Cocoa

#19 Post by Johnie Cocoa »

I am so jealous! I got my braces put on 2 days ago and right before that I had 4 extractions so, I haven't been able to eat anything that isn't soft without causing myself obscene amounts of pain... Ugh... I can't wait to eat chips....

nikkibabie19

#20 Post by nikkibabie19 »

ITALIANNYC wrote:Question:

Am I the only one who cant chew on the molar that the ankor thing is on?

Whenever I chew on it , it hurts. As if the ring is being pushed into my gum.

Had braces on for 2 weeks, but basically eat what I want. Just try to avoid that tooth, which is extremely hard to do.
Nope your not the only one. I am just starting back to chew on my molars. Couldnt even put any small bit of pressure on them to attempt to chew. And i got my most recent bands placed on the 12th...So it took be basically a week to chew on them...

And as soon as i get comfortable i have to get more bands (27th) sighs oh the joys

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

orangeracer

#21 Post by orangeracer »

I haven't changed my eating very much, but there has been some periods after adjustments or whatever that crunchy stuff was not worth the effort. As your teeth get used to being moved around eating gets much easier. Also, I noticed the springy wires in the beginning were more annoying because when food gets stuck under them the pressure goes up a bunch. Keeping everything super clean helps tremendously in the comfort department btw! :D

nikkibabie19

#22 Post by nikkibabie19 »

OldBikerBag wrote:There's a no-no list?? :shock:

I got a printed out list on a sheet of paper..

No: Nuts, Popcorn, Ice (chewing), Ice-cream, Frozen drinks, Sweets: Caramel, Hard candy, Frozen candy bars

No biting directly into: Apples, Corn on the Cob, Carrots etc....

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

OldBikerBag

#23 Post by OldBikerBag »

No ice cream?!?

My ortho specifically told me ice cream was encouraged because it helps take the pressure off the teeth from the wire in the event I need a brief respite. Just clean up afterward, is all.

As for the rest, I was not given a specific list of things to avoid. I think it boils down to common sense. If it's something that requires you to scrape your teeth on it to eat it (corn on the cob) avoid it. If it's crunchy, eat it carefully. If it's stringy, be prepared for a fun clean up time. If it's gooey or sticky, don't bite down on it....

I have eaten pizza, tacos, hard granola, chocolate covered malt balls, Subway sandwiches, chicken on the bone, steak.....even chewed gum. The one bracket I lost was placed over a filling on the side of that tooth. The bond wasn't as secure as the rest because of the surface of the filling being slippery.

(By the way....my first response to this thread was me being a smart-butt...heh...)
385 Days in Damon Braces

GillyWeed

#24 Post by GillyWeed »

Haha! Sooo awesome. Glad to hear I'm not the only renegade when it comes to my braces :D
-Gabrielle

Click here to see my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41964

nikkibabie19

#25 Post by nikkibabie19 »

starfish88 wrote:I was just wondering how soon after braces on I'll be able to eat like normal? I'm going on holiday a week after I get my braces on and I'm hoping to enjoy my food especially as I haven't and probably wont have eaten any solid food between wisdom teeth out on the 13th and getting braces on the 28th...I miss food!

i think it all depends on the individual and their tolerance for pain...

I only just started to eat normal a few days ago after getting some bands placed on the 12th..
So for me was about a week...

But i read some people on here eat normal after the first 2-3 days....

[/color]

starfish88

#26 Post by starfish88 »

nikkibabie19 wrote:i think it all depends on the individual and their tolerance for pain...

I only just started to eat normal a few days ago after getting some bands placed on the 12th..
So for me was about a week...

But i read some people on here eat normal after the first 2-3 days....
Hope thats me...eating within a few days and then being a renegade and eating what I like soon after! My sister seemed to eat pretty quickly after getting her braces but she's tougher than me...saves me from bugs and everything!

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

wildpig

#27 Post by wildpig »

Just take a little while to get used to everything. After 4 months, now i don't even have to take any pain meds after adjustment. I did remember the first wk I had to take pain meds religiously or else.

No change in eating habit. Was never big on biting into apple or corn cob. Steak, caramel candies, hamburger (cut into bite size), pizza. Even getting into chewing ice once in a while (for pain and swelling relief after I bite my cheek or lip).

Just have to be a little more careful when you chew.

Sita

#28 Post by Sita »

I'm a good girl (check out my two shoes! :wink: ) and obey most of the no-no list.... most, but not all. For two reasons mainly; I'm lazy and I'm unlucky. Lazy because I can't be bothered cleaning the bad stuff out of my braces afterwards and unlucky because the few of the times I have tried some of it I had things go wrong. Like I tried steak and even taking tiny bites I ended up bending a wire. Or I tried nuts and a piece lodged in a gap between the wire and gum and it sliced a little hole in my gum when I got it out. Never knew nuts were sharp before that :-). Also there was a lot of stuff that I didn't eat in the first place and I haven't been able to bite into an apple for years because of the pain so cutting it up wasn't a problem.

I do have soda but drink it through a straw and only at meal times and I have worked out which chocolates I can eat safely and I am happy with that. I have lost six kilos so far on the braces diet, so yay me.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

confuzzledeedee

#29 Post by confuzzledeedee »

For the first two months or so after getting my brace, I was super careful... but eventually I got used to having it and went back to normal! I eat almost everything you're 'not supposed' to... Except peanut butter, chewing gum, and really hard, sticky toffee sweets. I think they would be disastrous so I steer clear! But as soon as my brace comes off I'm having a peanut butter sandwich (possibly with jelly - I've always wanted to try it...) and buying pink bubblegum and Jolly Ranchers. To celebrate!

Everything else... if I want it, I'll eat it. I've never lost a bracket, though I have lost back rings while eating pizzas and baguettes...

revelvia

#30 Post by revelvia »

There are some things I don't eat purely because they are awkward to with my new bite position. Apart from that, I don't care :lol: If I'm at home I will just go at anything with a knife and fork until they are the right size that they fit in my mouth properly.

I never thought I'd be 24 and cutting up caramel chocolate bars with a knife and fork :lol:
[/url]