What do you call this process. Possible malpractice

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fosterp

Re: What do you call this process. Possible malpractice

#16 Post by fosterp »

Probably no case.

Pain is an expected part of treatment. The pain can be mild, or can be a lot. No reasonable person would believe that moving teeth with wires and brackets, especially when they are "tightening" with new wires/adjustments, would be a pain free process.

Were you actually injured by the assistant? You would need to answer this question before you could determine if you have a case. A loose tooth can be just part of the process, and that on its own isn't conclusive of an injury. If they caused trauma to the tooth and you went to your dentist and he determined that the nerve had died, you might be able to ask the ortho to pay for the root canal if you can make a convincing argument that the assistant caused the loss of tooth vitality through her negligence. He might just blow you off and you could sue him for the cost of a root canal...but that would not really be worth the hassle.

PursueToTheEnd

#17 Post by PursueToTheEnd »

Pain is an expected part of treatment. But is pain that is so great that you feel they almost pull your front teeth by the roots an expected part of treatment?

Nobody in this thread seems to had this kind of experience.

And my front teeth are still a bit loose.
Is it normal to be having a hard time biting into an apple without feeling your teeth are gonna fall out instead of slicing the apple?

fosterp

#18 Post by fosterp »

Yes, in some of my adjustments the assistances have pushed and pulled on the brackets hard enough to almost cause tears.

And in some cases my teeth have been sore enough to make chewing anything impossible. The inability to bite into an apple is pretty expected with braces, especially early on and right after adjustments.

Pain is subjective. Determining what is an appropriate amount of pain by asking users on this board what they "feel" is not going to provide you with an objective analysis of your own situation. Also this thread was about the possibility of malpractice, not what other peoples' pain experiences were.

Your teeth are supposed to feel loose. If they weren't loose, they couldn't be moving. I would be more concerned if your teeth felt completely normal throughout your treatment.

PursueToTheEnd

#19 Post by PursueToTheEnd »

How about inability to bite into an apple even after more than one year after taking braces off?

OldBikerBag

#20 Post by OldBikerBag »

Remind me to stay hundreds of miles away from you.

I'm afraid that if I pass within 100 miles of you, you'll try to find a reason to sue me.
385 Days in Damon Braces

kennyandrew85

#21 Post by kennyandrew85 »

I can't bite into an apple with my front teeth and I'm 22 months in.

Am i going to sue my orthodontist? no....
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

Okate

#22 Post by Okate »

I'm no expert but you sound very distressed. I hope you have spoken to the ortho or dentist and made your feelings clear. I wish you luck.

bmueller

#23 Post by bmueller »

When I started treatment, I signed a waiver accepting that things can happen. Its just like any surgery or procedure, there is some risk. The only reason I can think your teeth might be wobbly is if there is root resorbtion which can happen when teeth are moved too fast, but it can't happen instantly that I'm aware of. Go to a dentist if you're concerned. They can see everything on an xray.