Which side of your mouth do you chew on?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceFace2o1o

Re: Which side of your mouth do you chew on?

#16 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Before braces mainly on the right side, during braces on the left and after still on the left.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

maravilla

#17 Post by maravilla »

before and braces: both sides.

Since getting extractions ( Both bottom 1st molars) and braces i only chew on the right side, mostly due to the fact that my molars on the left side doesnt even touch anymore :(

samoorelaw

#18 Post by samoorelaw »

Before and after braces/jaw surgery, mostly chew on the left. My teeth never touched prior to the braces and are now mostly touching on the right but I still prefer the left. I'm trying to re-train myself to chew on both sides so as not to wear down the teeth on the left.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

28monthjourney

#19 Post by 28monthjourney »

Always the left. I was told it was because I'm left-handed but I'm pretty sure it's because of an old dental experience when my dentist messed up a tooth on the right side (that I am now paying thousands of dollars to fix)
Sentence:
28 months in full upper and lower braces, open coil spring for additional alignment space for permanent teeth to erupt, elastics to align back bite, bite turbos, and palate expander.

parsleysage

#20 Post by parsleysage »

For years I have chewed on the left because I had a broken filling on the right that was painful. (I didn't get it fixed for a long time.) Then after I got that tooth extracted I still chewed on the left because the extraction site felt weird and I also had a LARGE filling on my other tooth that I was paranoid about breaking.

Now I've got a crown on that tooth, the extraction site is very well healed, and I have my braces. I still chew mostly on the left but am switching over to the right more and more. Maybe at 20% now.

bride123105

#21 Post by bride123105 »

Left. I am missing a molar on the right (braces will close the gap eventually).

lorsa

#22 Post by lorsa »

Before braces: right side.
Now, 4 weeks into braces: neither side. I can't chew at all because none of my molars touch. In fact, the only two teeth that touched when I first got then were my left front upper and lower. Just yesterday I woke up and discovered that I can touch both the left and right front uppers and lowers. Yay, progess!

UnevenJAG

#23 Post by UnevenJAG »

I chew on the right side of my mouth mostly

missnew

#24 Post by missnew »

If you chew on one side only, will it affect your facial muscles? I have been chewing on the right side for over a year now, my bite was good on both sides at start of braces, now I can't chew on left as it is gappy. On that side of my face, it has been commented that the cheek looks more hollow/gaunt. Could it be due to not chewing and losing muscle tone? I think I am biting very hard on the right side now due to trying to bite on both sides, hope I am explaining right, kind of pressing way to hard when first biting as if I am waiting for left side to meet too.

Nozzelnut

#25 Post by Nozzelnut »

I wouldn't say what I've been doing exactly chewing; more flattening. My right side has less of a gap from the build-ups, so I can squish food more a little more than on the left.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

Fidget77

#26 Post by Fidget77 »

Interesting question. I generally chew on the left side (unless it's after a wire change, then it's whichever side hurts less). As I read most of the replies are right-side, it makes me think.. I'm left handed, I wonder if that has something to do with it?

samoorelaw

#27 Post by samoorelaw »

Fidget77 wrote:Interesting question. I generally chew on the left side (unless it's after a wire change, then it's whichever side hurts less). As I read most of the replies are right-side, it makes me think.. I'm left handed, I wonder if that has something to do with it?
Think being left-handed is a coincidence: I'm right-handed and still chew mostly on the left. Though FINALLY all the teeth on my right side are touching thanks to my new upside-down triangle elastic configuration so I'm finding myself chewing more and more on the right side. It's amazing the things those with a normal bite take for granted.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

SoIWasLike72

#28 Post by SoIWasLike72 »

I had been chewing on the left side of my mouth, but that changed when I got some old fillings replaced. Now I'm chewing on the right. When my teeth become less sensitive, I plan on using both sides.

lorsa

#29 Post by lorsa »

samoorelaw wrote:
Fidget77 wrote: It's amazing the things those with a normal bite take for granted.
More profound words have never been spoken...er, written! After spending the last 5 weeks "mashing" food against the roof of my mouth with my tongue so I could swallow it, I will never take chewing for granted again! :tingrin:

Kazorina

#30 Post by Kazorina »

Left side. Always, no idea why but hoping along my journey this will change.