Braces at 55

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vyvyen

Re: Braces at 55

#16 Post by vyvyen »

Thanks for the replies. I'm just so disappointed and feel really down. Thinking os contacting a dentist 3 hours away that does six month braces. I can live with my overbight but not my awful crooked teeth :(. I'll see if he does nickel free wires. Wish me luck :).

plugnickel69

#17 Post by plugnickel69 »

vyvyen,, please don't give up. I first went to an ortho who was a friend and had done a great job on all of my kids. In my case he told me it couldn't be done, that it would be impossible to get my teeth to fit together without extensive crowning of my teeth. The next two orthos told me it wasn't a problem at all and they could do the work without difficulty. And my case was completed in 18 months without a blip. No problems at all.

Please make some other appointments and don't settle for six month smiles if you don't have to. It's better that an ortho who couldn't handle your case at least told you so, rather than taking your money, time, and mouth and destroying everything.

SunshineRay

#18 Post by SunshineRay »

Im not sure what they can do about the nickel part but for the gag they could offer anxiety medicine. You only do it once in the beginning.

BikerChic

#19 Post by BikerChic »

Loved reading about all the people my age having braces!! 53 and 2 months in....all metal. I am kind of wishing I had done ceramic on top (I saw a lady with those yesterday and I was immediately jealous!!) My ortho (who is way cool) said she'd do metal if she were me, because of the strength needed to move my teeth (like the rest of me, pretty set in their own way!!).

I would love to hear from people this age group 45+ on the actual time in braces -> was it more or less than originally expected? I would endure 10X more pain if it would go faster. Wire ties maybe?? I have a hard time eating anything...but....I'm rambling.

I am supposed to have them 12-18 months. I don't really care as long as I get them off before my next drivers license pic is due!

BikerChic
Colorado Springs

Chicken

#20 Post by Chicken »

I am 49 and had my top brace applied in March and the bottoms about 4 weeks later. I have the damon clears on top and metal on the bottoms. I am also allergic to nickel, so I have titanium on the bottoms. It is really only the brackets that contact the mouth. I haven't had any problems with the allergy. I would have a few consultations before giving up your goal. I wish you well, keep your chin up. I am sure that a knowledgeable ortho will be able to help you.

vyvyen

#21 Post by vyvyen »

Hello, back again. This is just so cool speaking with others going through the same.
Well next plan of action - booked into another orthodontist, booked metal allergy testing with dermatologist, booked periodontist. My lovely dr also explained I don't have a gag reflex its claustrophobia and she gave me a script for a sedative. Feeling much brighter now. :) YAY

Chicken

#22 Post by Chicken »

That is awesome seeing a plan come together. Well done, in finding a course of action to combat each of those obstacles. I firmly believe that there is a solution to every problem . Keep us posted.

New smile

#23 Post by New smile »

Hi there. Newbie just joined today. 45 and waiting for an appointment to have Fast Braces fitted. Worried I was too old. Glad I spotted this site. Feeling quite positive now x

Lorianne

#24 Post by Lorianne »

vyvyen wrote:Hello, back again. This is just so cool speaking with others going through the same.
Well next plan of action - booked into another orthodontist, booked metal allergy testing with dermatologist, booked periodontist. My lovely dr also explained I don't have a gag reflex its claustrophobia and she gave me a script for a sedative. Feeling much brighter now. :) YAY
That is awesome! Keep on truckin'! The perio could be most challenging, but hang in there. Re the claustrophobia, my husband is also claustrophobic and we've discovered he cannot have his face covered up (i.e. during surgery) and he can't have his feet bound (i.e. during surgery when they tuck the sheets around you). If surgeon is aware of this, it's all good. If not, he "freaks out" and cannot handle things. This is a strapping 6', 200 lb healthy man I'm talking about.

Lorianne

#25 Post by Lorianne »

New smile wrote:Hi there. Newbie just joined today. 45 and waiting for an appointment to have Fast Braces fitted. Worried I was too old. Glad I spotted this site. Feeling quite positive now x
hey newbie, when did 45 mean too old??? jeez! we "old folks" have really got to stop aging ourselves! Besides, I've heard 60 is the new 40. ok, it's BS, but it sounds good. haha! not that i'm THAT old yet. :-) sigh... in all seriousness, awesome you are doing it and keep us posted on your journey!!

redwine

#26 Post by redwine »

I turned 57 8/31 and as you can see from my ticker, I've had braces for awhile. I, too, am allergic to nickel (and cheap jewelry) and when I told the ortho they said fine. They gave me a bit of bracket and told me to tape it to the inside of my wrist for 24 hrs and see what happens. Nothing happened! Evidently there isn't much nickel in braces. I have the regular metal kind and they haven't given me any problems out of the ordinary. Sure was easier (and cheaper) than going to a derm.

New smile

#27 Post by New smile »

hey newbie, when did 45 mean too old??? jeez! we "old folks" have really got to stop aging ourselves! Besides, I've heard 60 is the new 40. ok, it's BS, but it sounds good. haha! not that i'm THAT old yet. :-) sigh... in all seriousness, awesome you are doing it and keep us posted on your journey!![/quote]

Thanks for your support. At 45 I don't feel old but when it comes to wearing braces I'm the oldest person I've ever known to get them. Adults in braces is not a common sight in Scotland.

vyvyen

#28 Post by vyvyen »

What a great idea taping a bit of bracket to your wrist, I'm going to see about that when I see the new ortho on wednesday. Dread to think what the dermatologist charges will be.

Wonder if I'm going to be the oldest person in Australia with braces lol

Chicken

#29 Post by Chicken »

Hi vyvyen as you have done 7 posts you should be able tov iew the photos

Lorianne

#30 Post by Lorianne »

New smile wrote:hey newbie, when did 45 mean too old??? jeez! we "old folks" have really got to stop aging ourselves! Besides, I've heard 60 is the new 40. ok, it's BS, but it sounds good. haha! not that i'm THAT old yet. :-) sigh... in all seriousness, awesome you are doing it and keep us posted on your journey!!
Thanks for your support. At 45 I don't feel old but when it comes to wearing braces I'm the oldest person I've ever known to get them. Adults in braces is not a common sight in Scotland.[/quote]

oh, I forget that there are different cultures sometimes, sorry about that! You would actually not be at all unusual to see in the U.S. Lots of "older" folks have them. I know plenty of people personally who are way over 45 with braces. So, in short, don't feel old!