Is it OK to settle for less than perfect?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anna5

Re: Is it OK to settle for less than perfect?

#16 Post by Anna5 »

Thanks for your reply, Marigold. That is good that you can settle for a bit of imperfection and you are right, as long as your bite feels good, why worry about a few subtle imperfections that probably only you will ever notice?

I will never reach perfection I am sure, even not with surgery. I have some wear on my teeth and when I was young, my dentist extracted one premolar, and therefore my midline is a bit off and my teeth will never be completely symmetrical.

I think we are our own worst critics. I see every imperfection at my own teeth, but when I ask others about it, they say they don't even notice. And if they notice, they don't care. I think I should relax a bit!!!

starfish88

#17 Post by starfish88 »

I have to say that since braces I notice imperfections in other peoples teeth a lot more! Maybe because my mind is on teeth more and I know whats normal and whats not! That said minor imperfections as long as they arent doing you any harm (TMJ disorders or wear etc)I think are great and add character to a face.

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

Marigold

#18 Post by Marigold »

Right on, Anna and starfish88! Who wants teeth so perfect they look fake? :thumbsup:
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

Anna5

#19 Post by Anna5 »

I definitely don't want to. I don't need a fake hollywood smile, just a nice 'Anna' smile!

burtburgerac

#20 Post by burtburgerac »

Hi All! It's so nice to hear that other people have turned down the 'perfect' surgery option as this is what I have done. I have a very large overjet due to a short bottom jaw, as well as fairly wonky teeth. The only way to fix the overjet (in the UK where I am) is with surgery but I didn't want the risks and I was also concerned I wouldn't like the results. I have decided to just have ceramics top and bottom for 6 months to straighten things out with no overjet reduction. I'm hoping I'll be happy enough with this. If I'm honest I wish I had never been given the surgery option as I spent 3 years making a decision and being even more a paranoid about my teeth!

No they won't be perfect but at least I'll still look like me!

Anna5

#21 Post by Anna5 »

I am sure you made the right decision, burtburgerac!

burtburgerac

#22 Post by burtburgerac »

I think most people have a gut feeling what is right for them and as long as you've looked into all the facts, ultimately everyone has to do what feels right for them - perfection or no perfection!

bracesagain2

#23 Post by bracesagain2 »

Hi Anna5 - I had a crossbite and one option my ortho presented was surgery. I knew I did not want to go that far just to fix my crossbite. So I just got braces only.

But I think I was expecting and wanting perfection. And my ortho keeps saying he didn't have perfect teeth to work with. He told he would try to get it as perfect as he can.

But in general I'm happy with my results. I'm not happy about the midline not being centered, but the crossbite is fixed. And my bite is corrected too. I think my ortho cared the most about my bite.

It's weird - I guess when I got braces again - I was hoping for perfection. But then we learn in life, nothing is perfect - right? :wink:

Anna5

#24 Post by Anna5 »

Hello braceagain2,

I liked what you said. That you were hoping for perfection. But then we learn in life that nothing is perfect.
In fact, there is also some beauty in imperfection, if you can see that. I am trying to learn that myself now.... Or at least to try not to focus too much on my imperfections, because as long as I do that I will never be happy I think....

bracesagain2

#25 Post by bracesagain2 »

Hi Anna5 - I know how you feel. I think my ortho kept telling me - he didn't start out working with perfect teeth.

So I think he was trying to tell me, I can't expect perfect either.

It's hard b/c I know we all want what we want.

But in the end, hopefully your ortho will do the best to get the problem fixed and you'll be happy with the results.

Anna5

#26 Post by Anna5 »

Thank you, bracesagain2. I wish you the same, that you will be happy with your results as well, even if they may not be 100% textbook perfect....

Anna5

#27 Post by Anna5 »

Anyone else who is settling for less than perfection???

bessadoo

#28 Post by bessadoo »

I'm going into this witht he expectation that my teeth/bite may never truly be perfect and I'm ok with that. Let's face it being in an adult has it's limitations with what your bones and teeth can do and handle.

Anna5

#29 Post by Anna5 »

Thanks, Bessadoo. You have a good attitude I think. I wish you good luck with your treatment!

Any one else who is settling for less than perfection or anyone else who cannot settle for less than perfection?

Anna5

#30 Post by Anna5 »

Hello,

I have found a great website for people (like me!) who are struggling with body image issues and with not being 'perfect'.
The name of the website is: http://stophatingyourbody.tumblr.com/

There are quite some teeth- related issues on this website. People who have struggled with these insecurities, but have overcome them and/or accept them as making them unique.

I would like to share some of these stories with you, only for those who are interested of course:

http://stophatingyourbody.tumblr.com/po ... -smile-the

http://stophatingyourbody.tumblr.com/po ... d-my-smile

http://stophatingyourbody.tumblr.com/po ... nky-yellow

http://stophatingyourbody.tumblr.com/po ... elative-to

http://stophatingyourbody.tumblr.com/po ... y-disorder

I love to see how these people have overcome there insecurities with their teeth and self esteem issues because of this, although their teeth will never be perfect.

I think it is great that we are getting orthodontics to improve our smile, but that we also have the right to be happy and have peace even if the result will never be 100% perfect. I admit that this remains a struggle for me as well, but I am trying to think this way.....

Anna