Are your braces a topic of conversation?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

saraapril6907

Re: Are your braces a topic of conversation?

#16 Post by saraapril6907 »

My step dad hates them. He says they aren't a priority and a waste of money. I don't smile anyway so why straighten my teeth. Well maybe the reason I don't smile is because of my teeth. I've always been worried about them. Now I'm 30 and looking forward to my new smile. He's not paying for them anyway.

sim

#17 Post by sim »

The only one I told I was going to have braces was a friend of mine. Her reaction was not positive. She didn't understand why I would choose to go into so much trouble, esspecially at my age (I'm 51).
She has lost a lot of teeth and have to wear dentures, which she hates because they hurt. So she doesn't understand at all why I would choose to wear braces voluntarily.
But when I joked that maybe I will turn 100 so I can enjoy the resultbfor about 50 years still, she had to admit that I am a little bit right about that.

At work I didn't tell anyone about it. Not everyone ask me about it, but I'm quite sure they notice them, though I think there are also people that are not that observant. A lot of people asked me: "are you wearing braces." When I say "yes", the conversation about my braces stops and that's it for them.
Overall with people who had braces themselves it's a topic of conversation because they understand what it is.

I had also questions why I am having them because they think my teeth are straight and why bother at my age so they don't understand why. But they don't see my overbite and that the teeth in my bottom jaw are overcrowded. And that I have trouble to keep some spaces clean because some molars are twisted.
My two nieces (age 16 and 18) are proud of me that I'm wearing them and I think it's so sweet they told me this.

Actually I'm glad that most people don't ask me why I am having them. It's nearly as if you have to justify yourself about wearing them, especailly to people who never needed them, for that are mostly the people who think it's not neccesary.

Now that most people know I am wearing them hardly anyone asked about them anymore and I think that's fine. Oh well, life goes on, even with braces.
I am very happy with my step of taking them and that's what counts.

jaime

#18 Post by jaime »

[quote="sim"]
Actually I'm glad that most people don't ask me why I am having them. It's nearly as if you have to justify yourself about wearing them, especailly to people who never needed them, for that are mostly the people who think it's not neccesary.[quote]

It is really strange, isn't it? I think people say things without really thinking it over, because obviously it's not as if you woke up one day and said "I want braces!" and put them on yourself. If you didn't need them, an orthodontist probably wouldn't have put them on, and you probably wouldn't have spent $4000-$8000+ doing it.

I have to get the whole works: SARPE, braces, and jaw surgery. People have said, "Your teeth looked fine!" Yes, maybe they did, but my bite is so messed up and it's causing decay, receding gums, worn down molars, jaw pain...it's not because I'm vain.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Nozzelnut

#19 Post by Nozzelnut »

They haven't been, but I'd be more than happy to talk about it. It's a lot better than the constant headaches, TMJ pain, and shifted teeth because of the clenching and grinding.

I'm just happy I looked into getting things fixed and got moving in the right direction. The braces are the least of my worries and if a conversation helps someone else start treatment; I'm ok with that.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

bride123105

#20 Post by bride123105 »

No one has said anything about mine besides my bosses and one friend and my chiropractor. I have not had any strangers mention them.

Lorianne

#21 Post by Lorianne »

TMJJill wrote: Ironically, I ended up needing 2 behind-the-ear hearing aids from major hearing loss caused by my jaw being pushed into my ears. I got them a month after my braces went on. Nobody noticed those either, and I had a haircut that was over the ear short. Those who I did discuss it with seem to forget because when I make comments now about not being able to hear something I have to re-explain that I have the hearing aids. At times, it really makes you question the actual compassion of those you are around.
I don't think it's really so much people's compassion as it is their poor observation and listening skills. Cos I've definitely noticed the same thing.

lorsa

#22 Post by lorsa »

ljms wrote:...Unlike others who have replied, my teeth were/are very crowned. People aren't asking me "Why?" They're asking me "Why now?" Since I'm in my mid-fifties, it's a good question so I answer it. My choice was braces to straighten and stabilize my teeth or start loosing teeth...
That describes my situation exactly. When my (well-meaning, I hope) relatives ask "Why bother now?" I say "it was either braces now or dentures in a couple of years. I want to keep as many of my teeth as I can, so I chose braces."

blacy1

#23 Post by blacy1 »

For me, in the beginning, I felt like it was something I always needed to address. I would bring it up! ... I felt I had a huge sign on my forehead saying I had braces.