How soon should I see changes? I'm not feeling any pain and wondering if the braces are working...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

djspeece

Re: How soon should I see changes? I'm not feeling any pain and wondering if the braces are working...

#16 Post by djspeece »

friendlyturtle wrote:Suprisingly I haven't had any pain in the last couple of weeks either; but, my smile has improved dramatically! I wonder how long this serenity will last :lol:
You of course realize that you have just jinxed yourself. :huh:
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

friendlyturtle

Re: How soon should I see changes? I'm not feeling any pain and wondering if the braces are working...

#17 Post by friendlyturtle »

djspeece wrote:
friendlyturtle wrote:Suprisingly I haven't had any pain in the last couple of weeks either; but, my smile has improved dramatically! I wonder how long this serenity will last :lol:
You of course realize that you have just jinxed yourself. :huh:
Oh my goodness you are so right. I woke up this morning and UGH it was not comfortable. My mistake for believing it will be painless! :-+

annamariefranco

#18 Post by annamariefranco »

I didn't think mine were moving either until I took pictures and compared them side by side. Try it out, you'll be amazed. :)

MissLou

#19 Post by MissLou »

Hey y'all. So it's been 1 month 1 week and I'm still not noticing any changes! Except for the receding gum on one teeth disappearing, which made me happy as it caused some sensitivity that has gone now. But otherwise no change that is visible. I was taking photos and comparing them but now I've stopped that as it was depressing me! So I think I'll probably do photos every three months or something if the progress is going to be this slow. I've had no pain either, very slight tenderness of the teeth at various parts of my mouth from time to time, but that's it. :?

djspeece

#20 Post by djspeece »

Progress can be very slow. Frankly after three years I thought there had been some changes, but nothing major until I looked at my pre-braces photos! Wow. The movement is very very slow. I really could only tell by how my bite changed, and even that was subtle. I think after a few more months you'll hopefully not be as concerned with visible changes, take a deep breath and ride out the adventure that is orthodontics. A very slow adventure, at that. Hang in there! You don't have to have pain in order to make progress. It is just an added bonus :-+ . Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Blurple

#21 Post by Blurple »

MissLou wrote:Hey y'all. So it's been 1 month 1 week and I'm still not noticing any changes! Except for the receding gum on one teeth disappearing, which made me happy as it caused some sensitivity that has gone now. But otherwise no change that is visible. I was taking photos and comparing them but now I've stopped that as it was depressing me! So I think I'll probably do photos every three months or something if the progress is going to be this slow. I've had no pain either, very slight tenderness of the teeth at various parts of my mouth from time to time, but that's it. :?
I hope you get some progress soon - I've not had any pain either (I've been spending far too much time pouring over pictures), can feel more differences with my tongue if that makes sense.

Khaleesi

#22 Post by Khaleesi »

It can also I think be very unpredictable, I have had points where things have moved unexpectedly quickly. If by the time of your next appointment you feel like not much is happening, you can always talk to your orthodontist about what the plan is and when in the treatment certain things may happen. I felt like a jerk for repeatedly mentioning something I didn't like (basically saying 'hey, about those two front teeth..' at every appointment) but it did actually change my ortho's treatment plan.

Khaleesi

#23 Post by Khaleesi »

Oh, and be careful what you wish for - some of the wire changes can be quite painful! The first wire is usually quite thin and bendy and subsequent ones may not be so pain free :D