This is getting REALLY annoying!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

texasangel

#16 Post by texasangel »

OOOOHHH YES!!! I agree with everyone. I'm totally sick and tired of my braces..... never liked them anyway - - but at my last appointment my dentist said "Hey - do you want your braces off at Christmas??" And I said "Well - what do you think - YES !!!!!" So I'm counting down till then. I just got over having 4 canker sores in my mouth - 1 on the TIP of my tongue !!!! OUCH and 2 on my top and lower lip and another way in the back.
I agree with everyone - I've NEVER enjoyed having braces, but at least I haven't had to have them as long as some of you (2 and 3 years!!!) oh my GOSH !!!!! I really feel sorry for you. I got my on in January of this year.
Braced on 1/10/05 - full metal- woo hoo!!
Braces coming OFF 5/31/06 !!!

SHELL

#17 Post by SHELL »

lol, Thanks for starting this thread. I was wondering if everyone on this board loved having braces. I have only been in mine for 3 months and I absolutely hate them at every moment. I can not imagine having them on for 3 years or more. I joke with my partner about just going in to the ortho and saying "i'm bored with these,can you just take them off" I haven't been able to really chew since being braced and I only have adjustments every 3 months. I see a little progress but man oh man am i sick of this. :x

smiley

#18 Post by smiley »

Sigh..... also thanks for getting this thread going. I'm coming up on "only" a year in mine, and I'm really, really tired of dealiing with them. The hassle of eating, cleaning , talking, drooling, dry lips, adjustment surprises, etc., etc, etc. is getting old. They were sort of a novelty at first... all new... but that's definitely worn off. And after a year of missing corn on the cob, I'll miss biting into a crunchy, local, apple again... oh and holiday caramels! (yeah, I know they're bad for me any way!). At this point I'm just trying to hang in and be patient. Having said all that, I probably still would choose to get them if I was starting over.

All of you who have passed the 24 month mark really have my sympathy!

Grapefruit

#19 Post by Grapefruit »

yowzah! lol so many, um, i dunno wat to call you guys...we should have a cult name...hehe j/p

see, i didn't HATE mine from the beginning, cuz at first I was just like, "ok, whatever, my teeth are a lot better than before..." I guess you can say i didn't really mind...NOW! oh, now! Its pure hatred! This is EVIL! :evil:

I was teaching a first aid class at ARC today, and it was soo embarrassing, I taught half of the class and I took a BR break and then I open my mouth and I had some bread stuck in my canine braket! it was sooo GROSS! :yuck: man, i was sooo humiliated! :oops:

ANOTHER REASON WHY WE SHOULD BURN THEM! BURN THEM ALL!!!

lol ok, a lil too much, but yea, I am going to be the happiest person on earth wen these lil devils come off...
--i luv sports.......and shoes--

Grapefruit

#20 Post by Grapefruit »

Each day I wake up hating my braces more and more...and is it me or do these brackets keep getting bigger and bigger....I have just advanced to another level of hate :evil: :-(* :evil: :-(*

londonchick

#21 Post by londonchick »

how lovely not to feel like the only one :lol:

i'm almost at the year mark and so bored i could scream. At first it was all exciting as i could see movement almost daily it seemed, all my little teeth lining up like good soldiers but since going into the pulling back elastics stage 2 months ago i notice no difference at all. My ortho assures me there is movement so who am i to disagree. My stupid expander is still in even though i thought it would only be in 4 months tops. I'm fed up of brushing them, i'm fed up having to take out snapped elastics while i'm eating, fed up with trying to get 2 elastics to stay on the same hook, fed up of having to make sure i have like a million products if i stay somewhere over night (toothbrushes, proxy brushes, little brushes to get round my expander, chap stick, bongela, spare elastics the list seems endless), fed up with my bite changing all the time.

At last some others who feel the same :lol:

beanstix

hate braces .....

#22 Post by beanstix »

Yep I'm sick to the back teeth of my braces and I've posted saying so before - most posts are so positive and I felt bad being negative - but it's great to be able to say: I really *HATE* my braces. I've never been part of the happy clappy hooray for braces brigade - I had to have them due to sneaky, undiagnosed gum disease and shifting teeth. I'm experiencing hardly any movement, my frigging lower incisor extraction gap still hasn't closed so I'm walking around looking like a hillbilly and I'm EXHAUSTED with cleaning (I get extra plaque build-up - great added bonus!) and buying all the flipping stuff to keep my teeth clean. grrrrrrrrr..... where's the WE HATE BRACES website? :evil:
Lower incisor extraction & metal lower: 31.03.05
Ceramic upper: 27.05.05
Treatment time: 18 months

doglover1395

#23 Post by doglover1395 »

Wow... I'm glad that there is a thread like this. I've only had braces about 8 months. I want nice teeth but I HATE these braces. This week has been the worst. One of my friends got her braces off... while Iam happy for her (I really am- she had them for over 2 years) I wish it was my turn. I constantly see my friends around me eating whole apples and carrots, eating sticky candy and chewing gum. I really miss just biting into an apple without cutting it up into tiny pieces. Lately I've been missing carrots too. I was never much of a gum chewer but now... what I'd give to chew a piece of gum. Sorry about this complaint post. It sometimes feels good to just complain...
Braced: 3/4/05
Debraced: 5/21/07
Sentence: 26 months

doglover1395

#24 Post by doglover1395 »

Oh yeah... One more complaint- I hate how braces look. I feel really ugly in them. When I look in the mirror I wish I saw straight white teeth and not brackets. Also I asked my ortho when I'd be out of braces and he didn't even know yet because there is so much to still be done :cry: ... someday
Braced: 3/4/05
Debraced: 5/21/07
Sentence: 26 months

Ev's Mom

#25 Post by Ev's Mom »

I'm OK with my braces themselves, it's the other stuff that's driving me crazy!! I just got elastics 3weeks ago and I hate them more each day!! I miss crunchy,sticky,sweet food, as well as steak and chops!! I have a bigger and better canker sore once or twice a week!! And best of all, honestly, I've just not seen that much change in my teeth!! :shock: But who am I to complain, "it's what you wanted", as my husband reminds me. :P
Damon II 12-12-05--est. 24-30 months

hannah164

#26 Post by hannah164 »

Wow! I totally understand this frustration with braces! I've had mine for only 1.5 years in a 3-4 year sentence but I hate all the pain and cleaning routines and constant ortho appt. and they pretty much just suck! I just finally get bottom braces in a couple of weeks which means my sentence will be even longer!

Eve, I totally understand the frustration and setback the impacted teeth can be! I have one that is finally able to be attached to the wire and the other one that still hasn't made its long waited appearance after a good 7 months of pulling! :( :x

Good luck and I hope we all finish sooner than we think!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Grapefruit

#27 Post by Grapefruit »

AHHHHH! My appt is on wednesday and I'm sooo nervous! What if they say i'll have em till may! *biting nails*

EVE, come to my rescue!!

swan

#28 Post by swan »

Grapefruit wrote: I hate the whole cleaning routine, Its so darn complicated and annoying, one of these days I think I am just gonna scream....
I can somewhat relate to that.
I think I've gone a whole week without flossing because I was so tired in the evening. And haven't used my Rotadent and Waterpik much either. It's time to take the whole routine up again before something really bad happens to my teeth!

Grapefruit wrote: I hate having to eat oatmeal and chiken noodle soup for a straight week....
Yuck, who made you eat that? Chicken soup can be yummy, but for a whole week? If you need more ideas for soft foods, go to the current thread about foods.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

Evelyn

#29 Post by Evelyn »

Grapefruit wrote:AHHHHH! My appt is on wednesday and I'm sooo nervous! What if they say i'll have em till may! *biting nails*

EVE, come to my rescue!!
Hey if you have them on till May at least we'll be together! God knows I'll probably have them on till them...two more days, two more days. My doc won't give me an estimate of when I get them off, he just says 'we'll have to see how the rubber bands work'....GRRR I want a date! NOW!

On the flip side, I get rubber bands on Wednesday for the first time...I'm actually really excited because maybe it'll mean progress (knock on wood)....

I did a calculation when I was bored in math today. If you were to put my whole treatment in the time span of an hour, I would be approximately at 54.1 min. That gave me hope. 41 months just seems like to big of a time frame to fathom, I can more easily understand it on the minutes out of an hour scale. Almost there...almost there....almost there....

And when the end comes, maybe, just maybe, I won't be kicking myself for ever starting this journey...

Eve
Last edited by Evelyn on Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Grapefruit

#30 Post by Grapefruit »

yea, I feel bad now, saying I have to have them until May when your treatment time is 37 months and mine is 31! well I guess we're kinda close...

I am still nervous tho, I dunno if I can muster up the courage to ask them....

I've had elastics like 3 times...I had the normal ones u put in the bands, and I had ones I had to wear at night because I have 2 teeth that came out more than the other side (sorry I don't kno the dental terms for that!) and then I had to wear those ones again but only for one tooth on the opposite side.

*sigh**sigh**sigh* Then wen we get them removed we have those beautiful retainers to look forward too! yippeee! (lol im being sarcastic)

Hey swan, thanx for the suggestions, but I just get too tired to make this whole meal when I can just eat my regular old soup...