Other patients in ortho office

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CelestialVoices

#16 Post by CelestialVoices »

Hi, in my ortho's office there are four or so chairs but when I went in for my spacers, etc no patients were in them because they had already left.

bajanrose

#17 Post by bajanrose »

Okay my ortho has 4 chairs in one room , seperated by low walls each with a gameboy advance attached on them for the kids, heck I play a little myself and he also has a private area in the same room with one chair, I rarely see anyone in there , mostly the times I've seen the other patients are out in the same area as myself, I never had a prob with it, just see it as normal. He does have an area upstairs where xrays and consultation is done which is very private. But no one seems to care what is going on with you, they are more concerned about what the assistant or the ortho is doing to them. So it doesn't bother me.
TPA (July 27th 05 - Feb 28th 06)7 months 1 day!
Nance (March 1st - Jan 31st 07)

After a total of 22 months and 12 days, I am braces free!

Evelyn

#18 Post by Evelyn »

Mine has 5 chairs all in one room, I've never even thought about it bothering me...I like it being public. I hate feeling alone, and being in separate rooms would just feel too formal to me.
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

BraceMD

#19 Post by BraceMD »

So far, at every adjustment I have been in a room with at least two whining, complaining children getting their adjustments. I can't stand that... though I can see the convenience of having it all in one big room. Oh wel.
Damon 3's 5/22/05
Unbraced 10/2/06

Permanant bonded retainer on bottom, bite positioner, and Hawley retainer at night...

Click www to see pics!

mtbrncofn

#20 Post by mtbrncofn »

My ortho's office has about 7 chairs that are arranged in a semi circle in this big room. No divider, unless you count the trays and chairs the assistants use.

I remember one of my adjustments, there was a very young girl just freaking out on the other side of the room.

I can't say it bothers me at all though.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

x_Ashley_x

#21 Post by x_Ashley_x »

Ya my dentist is the same way. When i got my braces put on i was in the chair with 2 other ppl watching...creepy.... Ya but i am self-conscious too. :oops:

johnnys_angel

#22 Post by johnnys_angel »

My orthos' office has two small separate rooms, one with a chair, and the other with the picture/x-ray equipment. Besides that, there is a waiting room (sort of living-roomish), a break room, and a larger room with six chairs, some gameboys, and loads of magazines of all different types. I sometimes feel akward, especially with the lip-stretchers in, because EVERYBODY can see me and my gaping mouth. But then again, it is interesing to observe the bustling of assistants, and other patients' mouths while I'm waiting. :lol:
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

hannah164

#23 Post by hannah164 »

Cassidy!
I totally understand what you mean! My ortho has 7 chairs and one little room off to the side where most new patients get braces.I hate going in there and having them work on my mouth especially when there are other people from school there. What really bothers me is when you have the lip stretcher things in and there are other people there watching. Its very embarrassing.

Have you ever noticed that there are lots of parents in there watching their kids progress but instead they stare at you? I remember when my ortho specifically worked on me for my impacted cuspids and put so much stuff in my mouth for a long time that I could see all of these other parents staring at me... :x

-Hannah :frogbraces:

ANYA

#24 Post by ANYA »

My ortho has 7 chairs in one back room and the chairs face the wall. then there is also a computer next to each chair. It never really bothered me that there are other people in the room at the same time. They all are getting stuff done and probably feel the same way. I do admit however that the parents that go in there to be with their children like staring at other patients instead. So far I have been lucky and have always been at the chair that is at the other end of the room out of view from those 'onlookers'. But in truth it does not bother me. the adjustments never take more then 20 min. so I can tolerate that ok.

On a funny note - I just went last Friday for adjustment and my ortho has braces now himself !! He is refreshing his smile he said. I told him that I think this is just fair. Now he knows how his patients feel. LOL.

H Rogers

#25 Post by H Rogers »

My orthodontist office has 12 little cubicles. You can sometimes hear what's going on in the next cubicle if they speak sort of loudly otherwise you mostly hear mumbling. I consider myself fortunate after reading some of the other replies. I don't think I would be comfortable with other people sitting right there listening and watching everything.

H Rogers

#26 Post by H Rogers »

My orthodontist office has 10 little cubicles. You can sometimes hear what's going on in the next cubicle if they speak sort of loudly otherwise you mostly hear mumbling. I consider myself fortunate after reading some of the other replies. I don't think I would be comfortable with other people sitting right there listening and watching everything.

H Rogers

#27 Post by H Rogers »

My orthodontist office has 10 little cubicles. You can sometimes hear what's going on in the next cubicle if they speak sort of loudly otherwise you mostly hear mumbling. I consider myself fortunate after reading some of the other replies. I don't think I would be comfortable with other people sitting right there listening and watching everything.

H Rogers

#28 Post by H Rogers »

SORRY ABOUT THAT EVERYONE! I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY IT POST THREE TIMES :roll: BUT THE BOTTOM TWO ARE CORRECT... THERE ARE 10 CUBICLES NOT 12. THE OTHER TWO ARE JUST FOR CONSULTATION.

Ebonygurl00

#29 Post by Ebonygurl00 »

In my ortho's office, there are about 10 "stations" (chair w/table). The chairs aren't seperated at all, it's like a big living room. Honestly, I've never thought of feeling uncomfortable. Like someone else said, I think of it as going to the doctor. I love my ortho and his office!
[/url]

johnnys_angel

#30 Post by johnnys_angel »

ANYA wrote: On a funny note - I just went last Friday for adjustment and my ortho has braces now himself !! He is refreshing his smile he said. I told him that I think this is just fair. Now he knows how his patients feel. LOL.
I agree that that is totally fair! At the office I go to, the senior ortho (who owns the business) insists that all of his assistants/staff get braces (whether they need them or not, but pretty much everyone can always improve) if they haven't already, so they can relate to the patients. This must be rather expensive, but I thought it was a good idea!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05: