Ever wish you did it when you were Younger?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joplin

#16 Post by joplin »

Yes, absolutely. But I'm not sure if I would have handled it as well as I do now that I'm... eh, more mature and more in balance with questions of appearance and what other people think and such.
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

tokidoki

#17 Post by tokidoki »

Definitely. My dentist when I was a little kid said it would "only be cosmetic" and that it "might straighten out as I got older".

Well, I ended up with TMJ (which was EXTREMELY painful when I got my wisdom teeth out a couple years ago, and also pretty painful in general. I might have to get surgery for it eventually, if it flares up to the point where it is absolutely unbearable :/) Also, "bucked teeth" that were not only embarrassing, but constantly caused cuts on my tongue.

And for the record, "only cosmetic" is a good enough reason alone to get braces, in my opinion.

Yeah, so, all through high school I was way too self-conscious to get them, especially since I was told that I didn't *really* need them. Now I'm in college and a little bit more "f*** it" towards what people think of me wearing braces. Of course, I'm not completely insensitive to the fact that I'm a little older, but I'm still happy I did it (most of the time), so yay!

Tertia

#18 Post by Tertia »

Hell, yes!

At least it would have been over and done with by now.

Sigh.

Gel

#19 Post by Gel »

I wish... never could afford it until now though. However if I had gotten braces when I was younger, I wouldn't have had to go trough with the extractions.

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

Shagers

#20 Post by Shagers »

Yeah, definitely wish I got it done earlier.

Realisticially, I probably could have done it first about 4 years ago when I had enough money to do it, but I should have got it done then and not waited.

Having said that, I'm doing it at 29, so that's a probably a positive in lots of ways :)
Shagers - Braced Aug 05
--
Lipton Mr T - finally, a tea for the real man. I pity the coffee drinkin' fool.

hopkins

#21 Post by hopkins »

I wish I had worn my retainer. I think the actual treatment was alot easier for me the first time around. When you're in middle school, you really don't think about what others think of you from a superficial standpoint in contrast to when you're working and you're 24. :(

SkyWolf

#22 Post by SkyWolf »

I waited about 5 years before i took this plunge. I was told by my general dentist at the age of 7 it would be wise to go for a consultation, but my parents found it more cost effective at the time to get some teeth pulled. That fixed the problem for awhile but when I was 13 my dentist suggested going for a consultation. I naturally refused. Now I'm a freshman in college, and in braces. I don't regret this descision at all. I do wish I would have had it done when I was younger.

nvcarissa

#23 Post by nvcarissa »

Yes, I wish it could have been done sooner, but the money for it, even with insurance, hasn't really been available in my life until this point in my life.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

nimo

#24 Post by nimo »

Every day I wish I had been able to do this when I was younger. I never had the option. My parents just didn't care.

metalmouth moi

sooner

#25 Post by metalmouth moi »

I wish it had been an option when I was a teen. The finances just weren't there. As an adult I guess it was never mentioned to me as an option. It was when I asked my dentist about veneers that he suggested braces. I'm sure if I'd had them earlier my periodontal picture would have been better. Flossing is hard when your teeth are crowded and crooked ! Any way I'm well underway to a prettier, healthier mouth. It 's a decision I am very proud of.
Moi
metal braces upper and lower May 12/05

Marzipan

#26 Post by Marzipan »

Hey, there are a few of us 48-year-olds here! :)

There was no money in my youth. Of six kids, none of us had orthodonture. In retrospect, one brother and I could have been put in braces, if our parental units had had the money. They didn't, and I've certainly never felt deprived on that basis. They worked hard and kept us healthy and helped us to go to good colleges without incurring too much debt.

In my 20s I talked to a dentist here and there about braces. One said it was likely that teeth would have to be removed. Argh. Another chided me for caring and said if my teeth functioned, what was the problem? So I forgot about it for a long time.

There are almost zero photos of me with teeth showing while smiling. So recently when I realized that my health benefits would cover the cost at about 99%, I decided to take the plunge at last.

Yes, I wish I had done it while young, if the money had been there. Better late than never.

missing_tooth

#27 Post by missing_tooth »

Does this question really need to be asked? Let's remember not all of us had the chance to get braces when we were younger.

** Disclaimer **
Didn't have opportunity when younger
Lived in brokeville till a couple years ago
Doesn't have braces yet, 2nd ortho consoltation in 2 days.

alexa

#28 Post by alexa »

missing_tooth wrote:Does this question really need to be asked? Let's remember not all of us had the chance to get braces when we were younger.
Just because braces weren't an option doesn't mean you can't wish that it had been.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Davep

#29 Post by Davep »

I am now 51 and in braces over 8 months now. I really wish I had even known about this possibility. I have a class 3 underbite which is going to require upper and lower surgery. Every dentist I had since I was a kid I hold personally responsible as neither I nor my parents were told that surgery was ever an option. I only found out when I read an article in a magazine and checked with my dentist. I was referred to an ortho and the process started. I now am looking forward to getting this procedure done and finished. To anyone out there I would say go for it
Dave :D :D :D :D
In braces since 13th June 2005. Upper and lower on the 15th August 2007 and braces off 23rd October

Way Too Old For This

#30 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I wanted them real real bad when I was a teenager. Not an option.

My dentist told me I should have braces when I was in my 30's mainly to pull down the impacted canine. (I was surprised that it wasn't too late then). Couldn't afford it.

Now that I'm almost 53, yeah I should wish I would have done it at least in my 30's because the canine might come down easier. However, if I would have had it done then I would probably have gone to the same orthodontist that my daughter used (friend of the family). Now I'm content that I am finally doing it and I picked the orthontist myself, and I like him WAY MORE !

Plus, back in my 30's there was no internet, so no Archwired ! Consequently, no friendly advice and support. So, no I don't wish I would have done it before.

Besides, how lucky am I? I get a whole new look in my 50's without plastic surgery !
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.