Depressed about being a metal mouth!!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dena

#16 Post by dena »

hey chloeAE--just think, too...you'll have your braces off before senior pictures or prom or anything else that will happen when you are done with high school!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

medalofmetal

I hear ya!

#17 Post by medalofmetal »

My FIRST ortho was on Dec. 21st and I was 13 then. My friends some of them all ready had them and THEY were excited to get them. Not me. But I went and because my teeth were so crooked they just att ached the brackets and not the ligatures. Topper and bottoms metal thru and thru and my molars had to be banded. I got the flu afterwards. I was sore for xmas but by the time school was back in session I was less awkward. So it went okay. I remember this one guy infront of me inclass joked about my railroad tracks. But my favorite teacher later gave a comment to the class asking the class if they knew of any newscasters or moviestars with really crooked teeth or were they mostly straight. She is still my favorite teacher. The next year as my teeth got straighter I did not mind my braces as much but playing school sports I did get my mouth dinged once or twice in basketball after they were religatured. Yeah it is no fun at first smiling cuz the teeth look more crooked but BUT you will get used to them over xmas which will help with your discomfort and embarassment. Once you are used to them those people you like will be used to them too. Atleast that is what happened to me. The other difficult time awkward is when I would watch a tv show or movie and would undoubted ly show a nerd with glasses and braces. But that kid was not me and that kid I doubt is you. Besides as you get used to your metal mouth you might be surprised when others cojme to you for help and ask you how you did it. so hang in there before you know it some of your school chums may pull you aside and say how did you do it even when your just a month or two in to your braces. Please Post again in jan and feb want to know how it goes REALLY and honestly!good luck.

venusasaboy

#18 Post by venusasaboy »

Omg! I totally WISH I could have had braces when I was 13. Everybody has them at that age. It's when they are "accepted" and whatnot. I got mine when I was 17 and i'm 18 now and I feel so ugly sometimes too because everybody already got theirs off already and they make me look SO young. But seriously, 13 is the perfect age and it'll be way normal for you to have them. But they also don't make you look ugly! Lots of people say I look cute with braces!

goodluck! i'm sure you'll have them off sooner then you think :]
I'm going to have braces forever :[

venusasaboy

#19 Post by venusasaboy »

PS; MY LIP PIERCING LOOKS LIKE A ZIT IN THIS PICTURE! HA-HA THATS SO GROSS.
I'm going to have braces forever :[