WHY NOT!!!???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BlueeyedManda

#16 Post by BlueeyedManda »

My ortho will do ceramics on bottom teeth but not in all cases. He had told me he couldn't didn't want them on my bottom teeth just so they wouldn't get knocked by my upper teeth. I understood and accepted that reason. I was going to do metals just because no one would see my bottom teeth anyway.
When I just had my uppers put on months and months ago, in the beginning I hit my bottom teeth a couple of times when I was talking and it hurt. I have not done that in a long time but I have heard that ceramics can cause teeth to chip if you hit them. That's a bit scary.
I did get ceramics on my teeth because it was not noted in my chart that he didn't want them on bottom. I haven't had any problems and he said we will keep them put as long as no problems arise.

chrisd

#17 Post by chrisd »

the ceramic braces are slightly bigger than the metal brackets, so if your upper front teeth are very close to your lower fronts the ceramic bracket could come into contact with the bottom of your top front teeth when you close your mouth. since both metal AND ceramic are harder than your teeth it could cause wear. that is the most common reason not to use lower ceramics.
chris

Lyn

#18 Post by Lyn »

Hey all....
I have ceramic (I think....I'm totally confused now) on the tops and metal on the bottom.

The reason I was told I couldn't have ceramics on bottoms is because of my overbite. Ceramics are made of glass, which can shatter if you are chewing and the teeth rub against them. Metal is able to take the contact better, I guess. So because of my bite, I would be hitting into them which would make them come off??? I think. :roll:

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

dena

#19 Post by dena »

Lyn--so ceramics are made of glass in some way? Mine are definitely plastic! I don't think my ortho and I talked about what these are, but I'll find out when I'm in next time!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months