Anyone Who Plays Wind Instrument With Braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jadeli

#16 Post by jadeli »

I play flute, too, and although it did hurt at first to play, I grew used to it. I found that I had to change my embochure slightly, but overall, it didn't really affect the quality of my playing. :-)

LucyQ99

#17 Post by LucyQ99 »

Sorry so late!

I play the flute and piccolo, and at first when I got my braces, I thought there was no way I'd be able to adjust. But, I found that the more I practiced and my lips got tougher on the inside I was able to endure it.

It takes adjusting your emboucher so that the air stream will still go down (even though your lips have to cover more than your teeth this time), but once you find your sound, you've got it (vibrato and all).

So be encouraged!

Jembrace

#18 Post by Jembrace »

Interesting about tooth pressure and playing clarinet! I got my first clarinet just after getting my braces put on. I always wanted to play the instrument, just never got around to learning. I'll have to keep in mind the bit about how clarinet playing can cause an overbite! Maybe wearing one's retainer (after the braces come off, of course!) while playing can help keep the top teeth in line????

Jembrace
1st wire change June 2007

~No dream is ever lost if we never cease to try~
Moody Blues

JumpTheDitch

#19 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Interesting; I played the clarinet for about 5 years (and still do very occasionally) and am now being treated for an overbite.

They never warn you about that in music class! :roll: