Am I Nuts Or Has Someone Else Tried This, Too?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

missing_tooth

#16 Post by missing_tooth »

Where do you even buy wax? I think I've been to a few different stores and I can't seem to find it. I've managed to get my ortho supply to last this long. I don't through it too quickly as wax just grosses me out. How long till the braces don't bother your mouth anymore. I'm hoping I'm nearing the end. Then again, when the bottoms are put on, it's all over again.

- Missing Tooth -

Huon

#17 Post by Huon »

Try Orabase on the sore spots. It's good.
Huon

Tin Man

#18 Post by Tin Man »

I did that once a few months ago because I got in a fight (I'm bouncer so it happens every now and again) and managed to stop a few of his punches with my face. Of course he wound up knocked out and sent to jail, so I think I got the better end of the deal.
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

NotBob1

#19 Post by NotBob1 »

Hey guys....I'm serious, get a set of those Comfort Covers from Lynn's DentaKit site. They are an absolute dream. Especially at the end of the day and while sleeping to give the inside of your mouth a break! if your teeth/brackets are really all over the place, yeah, they won't work that well, but if you are coming to a point of where most are somewhat in line horizontally, they'll work fine. If you only have a few that are way out, you can trim a little notch in the edge in order to skip that tooth and allow the wire to curve out and back in.

These things really work. After awhile, they take shape around all of the brackets, elastic hooks, tubes, etc. and fit like a glove.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

ingyandbert

#20 Post by ingyandbert »

You have to look around for the orthodontic wax. Eckerd's does not carry it even though they carry all sorts of other orthodontic products; go figure. I found a pharmacy that sells GUM orthodontic wax for .83 cents a package, so I bought about 5 packages. Walgreens wanted $2.49 for the same exact product. By the way, you guys were totally right about the warm salt water swishes; it works wonders. So does the Glyoxide. I'm so glad I found this board!

ssfw

#21 Post by ssfw »

Hi ingyandbert,

If the wax worked for you, great! You may also want to try to figure out why the braces are irritating you - is it wire that can be clipped by the orthodontist or it could just be your mouth being a bit sensitive to the braces. Try the warm salt water as suggested in other posts - I have tried it and it helps me along with wax on one area of my expander - this has really helped my tongue to heal better. If it keeps irritating you, you may want to schedule an appt. with your orthodontist to see if s/he can help you.

Good luck.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

nvcarissa

#22 Post by nvcarissa »

Doesn't your ortho give you wax? I get offered it at pretty much every visit, though I haven't had to use it in months.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

kirst1583

#23 Post by kirst1583 »

nvcarissa wrote:Doesn't your ortho give you wax? I get offered it at pretty much every visit, though I haven't had to use it in months.
That's what I was wondering too.
I can get wax whenever I want from the ortho, even if I don't have an appointment ...
There's no way i'd be buying it, even if it isn't expensive - unless of course I was on holidays and couldn't get in to the office.

kirst1583

#24 Post by kirst1583 »

That's true. My ortho is only 10 mins drive away (at a local shopping centre) so it's convenient just to drop in and ask for wax or elastics!

ingyandbert

#25 Post by ingyandbert »

[quote="ssfw"]Hi[color=blue] ingyandbert[/color],

If the wax worked for you, great! You may also want to try to figure out why the braces are irritating you - is it wire that can be clipped by the orthodontist or it could just be your mouth being a bit sensitive to the braces. Try the warm salt water as suggested in other posts - I have tried it and it helps me along with wax on one area of my expander - this has really helped my tongue to heal better. If it keeps irritating you, you may want to schedule an appt. with your orthodontist to see if s/he can help you.

Good luck.

ssfw[/quote]

I had just gotten my braces on two days prior, that's why my mouth was so sore. Plus, I needed a mental break. I'm on Day Six now and am 100% wax free! In fact, I'm at the point now where I don't really think about my braces unless it's time to eat or brush. I don't think I'll need to do the all-over wax thing again. BTW, the warm salt water is a Godsend; it really helps!

bbsadmin

#26 Post by bbsadmin »

If you can't find the wax locally, I sell it at DentaKit.com. But your ortho should give you some more if you ask, too! It's also available at other drugstore-type websites.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!