Guilt.... it's a lot of money

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

weird_wired

#16 Post by weird_wired »

Let me just say that I know it's a good thing, and you can't put a price (well, apparantly my ortho did!) on feeling good about your looks

Aha! This is where you are getting confused and guilty.

Orthodontics is not actually about prettier teeth, it is about healthier teeth, gums and mouth. Obviously prettiness is an aspect, but orthodontists are most concerned with arcane things like bite and fixing back teeth that we didn't even notice were rotated or whatever.

Think of this as an investment in your future oral health. You could also end up saving money on tooth decay treatment later on.

jcdamon3

#17 Post by jcdamon3 »

Bianca,

I have to chime in just one more time about this because there is a financial aspect to this.

If you are young, start a financial plan right away! Make sure you get a great book like "The Wealthy Barber" and take the advice. If you always pay yourself first, put money into a 401k, etc., you will never feel guilty about spending money like this because you will be using your discretionary income. If you are very, very young you can afford to not put money in a 401k to do something life changing like this, but not for very long!

I spend money on myself, but 1) I put my daughter first and she is attending private school and has been for 9 years now 2) I put money away every month for her college tuition and plan on sending her to whatever college she wants to go to, even if that means delaying retirement. 3) I put money away religiously in 401k and have for years.

The other thing that I want to add is that it is good you are doing this now because once you have kids, you will be putting them first.

Oh, and just one more thing. The only regrets that I have about all the things I have done for myself, including these braces is that I didn't do it sooner! So enjoy your braces!

Bianca

#18 Post by Bianca »

Thanks everyone for your replies...

:) I am totally familiar with other "non-critical" things, I had lasik eye surgery five years ago and I've been doing that laser hair removal thing :) It's just that I recently got married and I'm wondering what the in-laws will have to say about my money habits these days. :)

And as far as planning for my financial future - I'm doing fine there, I appreciate the words of wisdom but "we manage" *grin*

And for those of you who understand how I am feeling - thank you for that. I was hoping y'all were out there, feeling similar things.

So thank you all for your responses, especially the ones that pointed out that I might be doing it for cosmetic reasons but my ortho is doing it for the health and well-being of my teeth and overall health! :)
Last edited by Bianca on Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's a two year process.......

snowbunny

#19 Post by snowbunny »

You can have a long soak in the bath in the crappiest, grottiest bathroom ever but think of your gorgeous smile when you wipe the steam from the mirror and give a big grin! Totally worth it!

ingyandbert

#20 Post by ingyandbert »

A word to the wise: Never discuss your finances with any family member other than your husband. It will save you a world of grief. If anyone asks questions just smile and say, ''We manage!'' :D

missing_tooth

#21 Post by missing_tooth »

Agreed with the other posters here. Don't discuss finances with other family members. People are critical, especially about finances. Everyone has their idea of what you should being, and only you can make that choice. It's really none of their business.

Really, I can't count the number of times I've been told what I should be doing. I've been called cheap, I've been called a big spender, I've been told where I should be living, and told what kind of car I should be driving.

It all comes down to this, no one knows your finances like you do. Only you know what your comfortable with and the direction your looking to go. Just ignore others and do what you feel is best. I can't count the number of times I was glad I didn't listen to others.

- Missing Tooth -

Bianca

#22 Post by Bianca »

ingyandbert wrote:A word to the wise: Never discuss your finances with any family member other than your husband. It will save you a world of grief. If anyone asks questions just smile and say, ''We manage!'' :D

If only it were that easy with my in-laws.....

(ahhhh, dreaming of the world with the happy in-laws)

:) They are wonderful people who mean very very well, but there is a distinct cultural difference and sometimes I get surprised by the shock waves... as do they, I'm sure. :)

It's a two year process.......

gypsydoodlebug

#23 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

Mine's a MUST. My gums are receeding because my bottom teeth are pushing my top ones out.

On the flip side, all the extra money DH is making teaching undergrad courses is going toward my braces. We didn't plan this -- but it all comes out as a wash. Luckily, mine will be paid in full in a year, and we have insurance that covers $1,500 of it. I'm coming myself among the few who are lucky in that respect.

I noticed my two-and-a-half year old has my exact same bite and palate structure...looks like we'll be going through this all over again in about 10 years!
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.

nils

#24 Post by nils »

it's an investment that will pay off. if you don't get braces now, chances are in 10 years from now you might not be able to properly clean your teeth or need restorations which can be pricey.

i am getting my braces done through the faculty of dentistry at a university in my city so it's about half the cost... the visits take longer though because you have a student and a teacher and an ortho checking it after every step.

smilezofmetal2

#25 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

I know what you mean...I could of paid off my Visa by now 3x's over :D but it is worth it

Shoegal

#26 Post by Shoegal »

I hear dentures are expensive too! If you are going to spend the money wouldn't you want to at least keep YOUR teeth!

SueFromNJ

No guilt at all! Absolute necessity!

#27 Post by SueFromNJ »

I see braces as an absolute necessity to my financial future, so no guilt AT ALL! I truly believe my crooked teeth prevented me from "selling myself" in job interviews. I never could land the good professional job, I can't count how many failed interviews I went on when I was younger. I looked terrible with my awful smile, and everyone else didn't. Hard to compete! :(

Over the years, I ended up having low-paying or jobs where I never advanced. And what jobs I did have, I always watched the more attractive workers (always with great smiles!) advance around me.

So now I had braces for three years, really for the #1 purpose of looking better so I can finally land a real job! Also I have had no real medical benefits in over 10 years, so my whole health is on the line because I couldn't land a good job. In my opinion, no one should feel bad about spending money on getting nice teeth. You need straight teeth to get ahead, to get anywhere! Crooked teeth are a disavantage in everything.

Attractive people get the jobs, get the benefits. That's America! :(

(Sorry if this post sounds bitter! I started elastics today! Ouch!!)
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!