What do you think of people with crooked teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Leslie022

#16 Post by Leslie022 »

As long as they have good oral hygiene, I don't think I would have a problem dating someone who doesn't have perfect teeth. I haven't had perfect teeth since I was realy young and still had all my baby teeth, so I know what it is like for them. Teeth aren't what makes a person good or bad.

Bad oral hygiene is a whole different story.... I once dated a guy who refused to brush his teeth. He'd had braces as a child, so he had nice teeth. I couldn't deal with him not brushing his teeth, though. That's just nasty.
Last edited by Leslie022 on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

ingyandbert

#17 Post by ingyandbert »

weird_wired wrote: People with strongly yellow teeth - particularly young people - bewilder me. A girl at work got married, late-20s, and her teeth were such a dull yellow grey that a friend and I actually speculated she might have a medical complaint (she was a big smoker and red wine drinker though). I really thought she might have got them fixed before the wedding. When I got mine bleached, everyone in the office was really impressed, including her, but she never "took the hint" for her own teeth. Beyond saying: "yes, it was really easy, I am so glad I spent the money!" and praising my dentist, I didn't feel I could say anything more direct.

I suppose the good thing is that she presumably doesn't notice/care, and she's happy with her teeth, and that's really what counts.
You need to realize that tooth color is a genetic thing and yellow teeth can only be lightened so much. Sometimes the best that can be done is a lighter shade of yellow -- nothing close to white. Another factor is sensitivity. I had to give up on Crest White Strips after just a few days because my teeth became so sensitive to it that I was actually in pain. Another thing is certain medications (tetracycline, for example) cause permanent discoloration of tooth enamel. If you see someone whose teeth have a greyish hue, there's a good chance they were once on one of those medications. I think you're being too judgmental to assume people with yellow or discolored teeth don't care.

dena

#18 Post by dena »

I take offense to the notion that all people with bad teeth, even rotting teeth, don't care. My aunt had rotting teeth because of disease as well--and she didn't have the money to take care of it. She was horribly horribly sensitive about it. People treated her really badly for it. It was really sad, but it definitely wasn't because she didn't care. It's fine if you prefer nice teeth--we all do. That's why we're here. But, people's teeth suffer for lots of reasons that have nothing to do with poor oral hygiene. People have really hurt my feelings just because I had crooked teeth (in fact, almost every dentist I've ever been to has been really rude because of my teeth)...the idea of making someone else feel that bad or worse is just too much.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Avion19

hmm...

#19 Post by Avion19 »

When I look at people with crooked teeth, I immediately think of myself. I've only had braces for about 3 1/2 weeks so they're not completely straight. I don't feel sorry for them unless they're ashamed like I was. I remember when my teacher would talk about crooked teeth and would mention my name. It hurts when people talk about your smile or teeth negatively so I would never do that to someone. I somtimes feel like a hypocrite for a great smile is more desireable to me, but in the end it's the personality above everything else. There's a lot of people in this world that cant afford treatment so I think we're all lucky. We should all think twice before criticizing people with bad teeth.

katy

#20 Post by katy »

My boyfriend has a big chip in his top front tooth, plus a few other teeth that are crooked and it doesn't bother me at all - it certainly wasn't a deal breaker when I met him. He has such a genuine and beautiful personality that little things like that never really came into it. All that counts is that you are genuine in your intentions to other people and don't judge them because of your hang ups.

Eleni

#21 Post by Eleni »

I think it's the imperfections in us that make us beautiful.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

weird_wired

#22 Post by weird_wired »

ingyandbert wrote:You need to realize that tooth color is a genetic thing and yellow teeth can only be lightened so much. Sometimes the best that can be done is a lighter shade of yellow -- nothing close to white. Another factor is sensitivity. I had to give up on Crest White Strips after just a few days because my teeth became so sensitive to it that I was actually in pain. Another thing is certain medications (tetracycline, for example) cause permanent discoloration of tooth enamel. If you see someone whose teeth have a greyish hue, there's a good chance they were once on one of those medications. I think you're being too judgmental to assume people with yellow or discolored teeth don't care.
No I do realise this - which is why I wondered if she had a medical problem.

When I say "don't care" - I mean they aren't bothered about the minutiae of their appearance, ie they're not over-vain. I didn't mean this as a negative thing - it just surprised me a little in her case, because she coloured her hair, used to do her make-up beautifully every day, spent a lot of time arranging her wedding, but had these strange-coloured teeth.

I don't actually think there is anything wrong with not giving a damn about your appearance. I think there is a problem if you don't give a damn about your health and hygiene, but that is an entirely different matter.

And I do know about sensitivity! I used to wake in the night from the throbbing and sharp shooting pains. I ended up having to slow down the treatment (custom trays) and do it every second or every third day only, and I was never able to do it again on the two centre bottom teeth

weird_wired

#23 Post by weird_wired »

dena wrote:I take offense to the notion that all people with bad teeth, even rotting teeth, don't care.
In terms of rotting/decayed teeth, I generally feel pity for the person because I figure they cannot afford dental treatment. I don't think anyone with actually rotting teeth "doesn't care" about them.

Regarding crooked teeth, the fact that someone "doesn't care" isn't meant negatively, think of it as they "don't mind". Eg half the time I don't bother to shave my legs, because I just don't really care about stubble. My Middle Eastern friends find this really bizarre and even shocking, because for them, body hair is considered so unpleasant. It's just different values and perceptions.

Aurelia

#24 Post by Aurelia »

hmmm lots of interesting points and opinions here, for me personally I can understand why some people still go through life with crooked or bad teeth. It took me to the age of 33 to get anything done about my teeth, since a child I have been absolutely terrified of the Dentist and would only go in an emergency. I smoked throughout my teens and realise now I did this to try and hide my imperfections, almost as if the cigarette hid my teeth! It really wasnt until I met my Partner 3 years ago that I gained the courage to quit smoking (2 years this month) and go to the Dentist. Before I met him I had been in a few long term relationships that really hadnt done a lot for my confidence, I know that I used to shrug a lot of things out of my mind and just try to get on with life. I knew that when I spoke to people they looked at my teeth but you kinda get used to that and find ways of talking so your teeth dont show much. Also of course there is the money side of it all, luckily I'm able to pay my Ortho a bit at a time but I did have to lay down a hefty £800 deposit!

From talking to my family they say that they viewed my teeth just as a part of me and because they were used to me they didnt even think about them, but they have said they are excited and pleased for me that I am getting them fixed as they know it will make me really happy. I have asked my Partner what he thought about my teeth when he first met me, he says it didnt bother him at all because to him I shined in a lot of other ways (awwww :D )

Not everyone in the world will have or can have perfect teeth, I would never judge somebody on their teeth because there is normally a reason why they have not had treatment.

After being braced for 1 week now I am feeling a lot more positive about the outcome, I am getting used to the brace and just cant wait to start seeing some changes. I only wish I had known this feeling years ago then maybe I would have done something sooner.

Remember that its people like us who get the braces on and face the treatment that can inspire other people who need help and encouragement to do the same :D
All good things come to those that wait

vanilla

#25 Post by vanilla »

My dad has chipped front teeth: he tripped and fell on a cobblestone path. He cannot be accused of poor oral hygiene, just really poor reflexes (his arms stayed by his side as he stiffly keeled over). He hasn't fixed the gap because I know he's got more important things to do. Believe it or not, straight teeth isn't everything.

I only noticed my partner's teeth when I first got braced. They are perfectly shaped and straight. I remember actually shifting his mouth around with my fingers to get a better look at them. If he held the same view as some people on this board about my crooked teeth, we would've missed out on a lot of happiness and joy (since we're getting married soon, too :D).

I wouldn't judge other people's teeth because I know how it feels to be self-conscious about them. We all should know.
Ceramic + metal since 31/03/05

Marzipan

#26 Post by Marzipan »

I notice crooked teeth all the time and always have. Mostly I notice gaps. That's because of <i>my</i> gaps. And I feel an immediate kindship with anyone who has gaps in their teeth! I feel like we are in a special club or something. LOL

That's going to change now, which makes me sad in a way. But after all these years, I've decided I want to feel good about smiling. All the same, I will still feel kindly towards everyone I meet who has a gap-toothed grin.

Leslie022

#27 Post by Leslie022 »

Marzipan wrote:I notice crooked teeth all the time and always have. Mostly I notice gaps. That's because of <i>my</i> gaps. And I feel an immediate kindship with anyone who has gaps in their teeth! I feel like we are in a special club or something. LOL
I'm in that club with you!! I mostly notice gaps too. Lately, though, I've just been noticing adults with braces...
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Joanna20

#28 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey! I have the exact same crooked teeth as Kristen Dunst and Patricia Arquette :( I think they're not the worst kind of crooked teeth, but if you can afford getting braces, why not? I have been avoiding braces for the past 5 years and now I realise how silly I was. I could date someone with crooked teeth, but not to crooked. I think I'll be more selective when I get them straight!
Take care,
Joe

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Way Too Old For This

#29 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Thank you ingyandbert for the post about the color of the teeth being genetic. I have pretty yellow teeth genetically plus being a child of the 50's my doctor's favorite drug was tetracycline. The dentist I had for the last 20 years told me not to bother trying to whiten my teeth because it wouldn't do any good. (He also told me that my retained baby tooth looked really stupid, but I couldn't afford to do anything about it at the time). Anyway, I brushed my teeth so hard trying to make them look whiter that I wore the enamel off the gumline on some of them. I have a dent there.

I started going to a new dentist who said whitening would help some, and it did. They won't ever be movie star white, but it did make me feel better.

I guess my point is that for sure I will never judge anyone by their teeth! I have spent my whole life worrying about whether people are judging me about mine. The one thing I do notice is people with incredibly straight teeth and I am always dying to know if they had braces, and hoping they will say something about mine so I can ask them if they had them. I have met a couple of people who have perfectly straight teeth and didn't have braces. And they admit that they know how lucky they are.

And I am hoping that when all of this is over, straight yellow teeth will look better than crooked yellow teeth :lol:
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

butterfly

Re: What do you think of people with crooked teeth?

#30 Post by butterfly »

Will wrote: will you think badly of people who have crooked teeth?
Of course! It will be payback time :twisted: They laughed at me all my life because of my bad teeth, then it will be my turn :twisted: :twisted:

:D
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner