2nd day, can't eat...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gypsydoodlebug

#16 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

[quote="krennen"]As a member of the "I can't chew very well or at all" club I have great empathy. Gypsydoodlebug's list sums up much of my menu choices. I am so glad for this forum as I was feeling so down about my eating with these braces!! I will have a talk with my Ortho at my next appointment and hope he can address these issues.{/quote]

Just fixed a crock pot o' chili. Mixed all this stuff together and it was done when we got home from work. Even my two-year-old ate it (although she's weird...her favorite snack is green peppers and hummus!):

Crock Pot Chili
1 lb. hamburger
1 large can Brooks chili hot beans (use mild or hot -- your choice)
1 large can chopped tomatoes, drained
1 large can tomato puree
1 container of Bloemer's Chili base (found in your grocer's meat dept.)
1/2 lb. uncooked spaghetti, broken in half
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. Frank's Red Hot Sauce (or sauce of choice)
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 onion, chopped into pieces
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook hamburger and onion. Drain, then use your fingers to grind finely. Drain the beans slightly. Drain a bit of liquid off the tomatoes. Throw it all in a crock pot, add spaghetti (this may be a preference -- we all do it in Kentuckiana!) and forget about it. If you're home, you can stir it. Tastes great, and you can add hot sauce to preference (with a kid, we make it a little blander than most).
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.

gypsydoodlebug

#17 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

[quote="krennen"]As a member of the "I can't chew very well or at all" club I have great empathy. Gypsydoodlebug's list sums up much of my menu choices. I am so glad for this forum as I was feeling so down about my eating with these braces!! I will have a talk with my Ortho at my next appointment and hope he can address these issues.{/quote]

Just fixed a crock pot o' chili. Mixed all this stuff together and it was done when we got home from work. Even my two-year-old ate it (although she's weird...her favorite snack is green peppers and hummus!):

Crock Pot Chili
1 lb. hamburger
1 large can Brooks chili hot beans (use mild or hot -- your choice)
1 large can chopped tomatoes, drained
1 large can tomato puree
1 container of Bloemer's Chili base (found in your grocer's meat dept.)
1/2 lb. uncooked spaghetti, broken in half
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. Frank's Red Hot Sauce (or sauce of choice)
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 onion, chopped into pieces
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook hamburger and onion. Drain, then use your fingers to grind finely. Drain the beans slightly. Drain a bit of liquid off the tomatoes. Throw it all in a crock pot, add spaghetti (this may be a preference -- we all do it in Kentuckiana!) and forget about it. If you're home, you can stir it. Tastes great, and you can add hot sauce to preference (with a kid, we make it a little blander than most).
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.

nils

4th day.. doing better

#18 Post by nils »

I'm now on my 4th day and my pain has decreased which is good... still not able to chew... but i got so sick of a liquid diet that last night i basically swallowed kraft dinner whole, and i had an enchilada that i would mush around in my mouth with my tongue against the roof of my mouth. a very slow process but much better than smoothie dinners.

i find that overcooked oatmeal is a good way to start the day.

i'm going to try the cupcake idea... i miss my carbs.

ingyandbert

#19 Post by ingyandbert »

All you people that are staying on a pretty soft diet, you might consider Metamucil or some other fiber supplement. There are bad health consequences to having too little fiber in your diet.

missfit

#20 Post by missfit »

First let me say Hello everyone.

I thought to myself a few days of soft food shouldn't be too bad, but today has been the icing on the cake (I wish)

I can't stand being hungry any longer and today I think I have had enough, oatmeal, yogurt, protein shakes and mushed up vegetables (and I mean mushed.) and its only been six days LOL

I tried to get shrimp into me today at lunch but the chewing was just too painful. My one girlfriend who has them on now, keeps telling me, it will get better eventually and I will be able to eat alot of the foods I miss, but it all takes time... well thank god for time I say, I just might learn a whole new way to eat. LOL
[/url]

dena

#21 Post by dena »

I had the same problem, but the pain in the molars soon went away...though the pain in my front teeth is still going strong and I have literally only bitten into about 2 things in the last month...I tend to tear my food into little pieces instead.

The first week I ate a lot of hummus, avacado with salt, tuna salad, mashed potatoes, rice, etc.

Slim fast, too! The chocolate is the only flavor I like but it's a quick way to add vitamins!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months