Poll: What is your cleaning routine?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dena

#16 Post by dena »

ingyandbert--i'm positive that they said a few times a month because i made them repeat it three times. they said they feel tartar control listerine used twice daily does as much. i still floss once or twice a week though

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Cissa

#17 Post by Cissa »

As far as a Waterpik, I reccomend this:
http://www.waterpik.com/products/SpecDi ... Nbr=100262

It's seven dollars and works beautifully IMHO.

As far as my brushing habits...
Morning:
Waterpik through my teeth, proxy brush around the brackets, brush with my Colgate something-or-other and Crest Whitening Expressions (Extreme Herbal Mint)

Night:
Same thing over again, except after the proxy brush I also use regular old thread floss around my third molars where there are no bands or brackets.

I was using Listerine daily as well but it was my brother's and he didn't let me bring a bottle to school. As soon as I get money scraped up I'll be buying some.

jennandtonic

#18 Post by jennandtonic »

I just got my braces Thursday, but so far here's what I do, though this is going to change once I get my waterpik!

Morning: Use the little brush flosser thing (I don't know the technical name for it, haha) to get under my archwire, brush teeth with Crest toothpaste for 6 minutes (3 minutes per side), then spend 3 minutes on gums and tongue.

After meals: Rinse thoroughly with salt water, use the brush flosser thing.

Night: Same routine as morning, except use Colgate Fluoride treatment for 1 minute, then use Listerine mouthwash for 1 minute.

My orthodonist says flossing twice a week will be fine, and today I'm going to floss for the first time since I got my braces. I have no idea how to use the floss threaders they gave me!

mm92280

#19 Post by mm92280 »

Hopefully you won't mind me bumping this, as I have a cleaning-related question. With regard to the use of mouthwash, is there any danger in using it 2 or 3 times a day for an extended period of time?

Betty Bat

#20 Post by Betty Bat »

Just got my Sonicare 7300 last week and I love it. But, I have a question for anyone else who has one of these or any other type of fancy brush.

How often do you use it - every time you brush? My big fear is that I'm going to wear it out so that it won't recharge. The booklet says that the assumption is that it will be used twice a day for two minutes. With that usage, it should last at least two years, according to the warranty. But, I brush 4 times a day and I find that the two minutes isn't long enough. So, I would be using the brush for about two to three times the recommendation.

Any advice from the Sonicare crowd?