Unexpected positives from the braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Leslie022

#16 Post by Leslie022 »

I also can't bite my nails but it is driving me crazy. My nails are really weak right now because I just had acrylics removed. Also, I tend to get bits of dry skin on the sides of my nails, so I'm annoyed that I can't bite it off.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Dadio

#17 Post by Dadio »

Wow, good stuff, things to know on the days when you wish you could get all the metal 'outta there'! I can agree with the drop in snacking, nail biting, and lip chewing. Biggest positive I see is I eat much smaller bites and much slower, so I fill up and am not eating as much. Add to that can't or don't chew on my moustache anymore (don't ever realize it, it's just one of those mindless things). These would be things I'd like to keep up when some day I have 'naked' teeth again!

ingyandbert

#18 Post by ingyandbert »

I just wanted to say I don't it necessary to actually brush after snacking; that's what proxy brushes are for. After a snack, I just whip out the proxy brush to touch up.

ingyandbert

#19 Post by ingyandbert »

I just wanted to say I don't it necessary to actually brush after snacking; that's what proxy brushes are for. After a snack, I just whip out the proxy brush to touch up.

ebjones1

#20 Post by ebjones1 »

I definetly smile more - Which is an extremely positive thing for me. I never used to smile with my teeth showing.. Now I don't care! I guess I feel like even when people see my funky teeth, who cares, because they will also see that I'm fixing them! :D

Anticipator

#21 Post by Anticipator »

My dental hygiene has improved.

It's given my girlfriend another "quality time" activity to do together -- nightly cleaning routine.

I'd like to think it's helped me to decide to take positive steps in other areas of my appearance and health. "Since I'm fixing this, I might as well..."
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Betty Bat

#22 Post by Betty Bat »

I stopped drinking soda (or pop, depending on where you're from!) because of the citric acid. I will admit that this is easier in winter than it might be in summer. And, I drink a lot more water, which is supposed to be good for you.

Bianca

#23 Post by Bianca »

A lot less snacking....

Eating healthier....

What anticipator said - taking better care of myself in other ways too

An immediate ice breaker conversational topic with almost anyone

Incredibly great dental hygiene

And the best one? My big secret (my crummy teeth) is now front and center, everyone knows, I'm not pretending it doesn't exist, and it feels good to actually attack this emotional weight that I have been carrying for years.

It's a two year process.......

2XRound

One good thing

#24 Post by 2XRound »

Dropping a dress size and loosing 17 lbs :)
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

catbutt

#25 Post by catbutt »

haha i can't bite my nails anymore either!!

but uh... snacking i cut out for a little while, until i learned the fine art of using my tongue (and sucking a little) to get any food stuck in my braces out w/o having to go brush them. :)

If something is really stuck I'll just use the "compact" interdental brush oral-b makes. they are great and i usually just carry one of them in my purse to use after meals real quick if I can't get all the food out with just my tongue.

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#26 Post by nahky »

drazda wrote:I've also stopped biting my nails. I also had a nasty habit of biting my lips that I don't do anymore either. Yay.
Same here aswell with the nails. Beofre braces, i didnt care if i bit my nails. Thats why they would be all jaggedy and rough and be bit down to the base of the skin. Now i notice i have to clip them much more often because they grow so rapidly. They grow out very i nicely now and smooth and white.

Now that my underbite has much more obvious because of the braces, my teeth dont touch so cant even bite my nails if i wanted to, only with my canines, they would tear the whole nail off. I wouldnt dare anyhow, it would slow my progress down.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

Way Too Old For This

#27 Post by Way Too Old For This »

This might be considered a positive.... but I sure miss it.

I can't open packages (like potato chip packages) with my teeth now. Or snip threads.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Michal

#28 Post by Michal »

I've quit snacking. Especially sticky stuff. I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to cleaning my teeth.

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

hannah164

#29 Post by hannah164 »

I take a lot better care of my teeth since getting braces! :D

I'm a lot less self conscinece of my smile, I guess its because its more of a work in progress now and its improving! :wink:

I can't whistle, not that that's a positive but oh well! :roll:

I can't say that I don't snack anymore... I wish! :roll:

Interesting post though! :D

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment was 2/1/06 where they bonded a bracket to my cuspid, which was impacted!!!! OUCH!

sydsmom

#30 Post by sydsmom »

This is an AWESOME thread...I love it!

For me:

*Eating less candy -- and more fruit since it seems to "clean" out my
brackets so nicely :-)

*Feeling like I'm 12 again (although this is a down side as well
sometimes!)

*Having an instant conversation piece to talk to kids (at work) about.

*Getting time off to take care of all these dental appointment, and
using discomfort or inability to talk as an excuse to go home early
...heh-heh ;-)

*Taking better care of my teeth and looking *forward* to dental
appointments!
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06