What's Next For You After Braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

texasangel

#16 Post by texasangel »

Ingy,
We are the same age (I'm 44) and I have had all my metal(amalgam?) fillings replaced with tooth colored composite several years ago. They were big fillings - my molars, 5 or 6 of them, and only 1 was sensitive for a few months, but now none of them give me any problems. My dentist did 1 or 2 at a time.
I am having either implants or bridges done on both bottom sides. My regular dentist (which is doing my braces) told me my jaw bone is too thin, so I might be getting bridges instead. I am still going to have a consultation with an oral surgeon (or whoever does implants) to see how much it would cost since I would need bone grafting.
Hopefully I'm getting my braces off on March 27th, so we'll wait and see.
Braced on 1/10/05 - full metal- woo hoo!!
Braces coming OFF 5/31/06 !!!

ingyandbert

#17 Post by ingyandbert »

Wow -- I can't believe anybody is still doing metal fillings in this day and age! I'm really looking forward to getting mine replaced. I told my dentist I wish he would just put me under and replace them all at one time so I could wake up to a whole new mouth and have it over with. He said, "We'll talk about that when the time comes." In other words, NO. LOL!

Dark_angel

#18 Post by Dark_angel »

I'll be having my teeth whitened definatley as i've already began to save up for that and i probably have enough to cover it as long as it dosent have to be spent on university fees.

Also i would like to eat toffees and other sticky stuff again without having to worry. Only about a year to go.

smilezofmetal2

#19 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

LOTS OF SMILING!
I agree with this....and plus I am planning on get my teeth cleaned right after...ok maybe a few weeks after and then whitening and plus I dont have to worry about wearing my retainer since I'm getting to fixed retiners :shock:

jaswi

#20 Post by jaswi »

Even though I dont have my braces yet I can still reply, right? :D
Anyhow, I'll get my teeth laser whitened, then have the crown on my front tooth replaced (and hopefully it'll be straight instead of messed up like my current one)
As far as composite fillings, the only filling I have is on the back of one of my rotated canines, and its impossible to tell it exists.

nimo

#21 Post by nimo »

I'm actually thinking of getting veneers for my teeth, just so they'll all be *beyond* perfect (like, movie-star perfect :P). I don't know if my insurance would cover any of that, though, since it would be purely cosmetic, so it'll either be something I save up for, or something I just decide not to do.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Qtgirl

#22 Post by Qtgirl »

The day mines come off, first I will jump to the sky :D I'll then get them cleaned, then whitened a month or so later--and I want to get my two crowns-1st molars? replaced (I can see a dark color under one of them). For some reason my crowns (under them that is) really dont look like a teeth shape--if that makes sense. My orhto doesnt seem to think I need to replace them, but I dont like how they look. Oh well.

:?: For anyone getting their teeth whitened with crowns- does the color change back after a while? Im really scared that my teeth would look an awkward color with the crowns. Plus, after being braced would the retainer affect the fit of my crown if I changed it ?? :?:

Evelyn

#23 Post by Evelyn »

Just whitening and tons of smiling for me!

I'll also probably need my wisdom teeth out sometime, but no sign of that yet.

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

hannah164

#24 Post by hannah164 »

When I get my braces off, in the very distant future, I will definitely whiten my teeth! Then I will smile all day long not feeling self conscience about my smile at all because my ortho is a perfectionist so my smile will be perfect! :D :D :D :D

~Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment: February 28, 2006 where they gave me a new bottom wire and attached my impacted canine, newly bracketed, to the wire! OUCH!

brandee987

#25 Post by brandee987 »

First I want to have whitening done.. Then I am getting some cosmetic bonding on a couple of chipped areas. Also I am getting my gum lift refined on my laterals. I already had a crown lengthening prior to braces. But since 'tooth leveling' the gum on may laterals is way down comapred to my other teeth... aaack I hate my gums right now....
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

cookie

#26 Post by cookie »

I had planned on getting some whitening done when they come off, but I'm having second thoughts about that now - so no plans except lots of smiling.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

CLAmom

#27 Post by CLAmom »

Months of pure happiness, I hope. Then....bone grafts & implants. Can't think about that yet. :-88

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Jennifer

#28 Post by Jennifer »

I am looking at 6 veneers on top when the braces come off. Of course after the braces come off ( hopefully this May) I have to wait 3 months before I can have any work done. I'm more nervous wearing the temporary retainer for those 3 months. Hopefully they work just as good as a permanent one.
J.J

lilpikachu

#29 Post by lilpikachu »

I think I'm going to get some work done on my gums. They have receded so much so that I have these ugly triangles that are really obvious!

I'm kinda dreading getting my braces off because then the ugly triangles on my lower teeth will be exposed! It's bad enough that I have triangles on my upper teeth but :(

If not, I might look into getting veneers (only if I can afford it!) and this will be followed by professional teeth whitening done by my dentist.

Who would've thought your teeth could cost so much money? :(

OneTime

#30 Post by OneTime »

After....this experience is over. I would like to get another cleaning and a deep clean. An xray exam to see if any monster attached on my brace journey. Then crest whiten for that white teeth smile.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08