Poll: At What Age Did You Get Your Braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

At What Age Did You Start Your Current Orthodontic Treatment?

18 to 21
15%
22 to 29
36%
30 to 39
29%
40 to 49
13%
50 to 59
6%
60 plus
1%

Total votes: 2072

pinaypie

Re: Poll: At What Age Did You Get Your Braces?

#241 Post by pinaypie »

[quote="sibilla"]52 and proud of it!![/quote]

wow! that's awesome! my dentist was telling me the other day that almost all their patients that day getting braces were adults (including me!)

sibilla

#242 Post by sibilla »

People's reactions have been funny - some people think I am mad for doing it at my age but 50 is the new 40 right?! So I'm a youngster!

Bracing for It

#243 Post by Bracing for It »

I've had my braces for a week and a half, and I'm 35!

flynn

#244 Post by flynn »

I am 39 and just got braced a little over 2 weeks ago (full mouth) and 3 weeks ago for just the top front teeth. I am looking forward to beautiful straight teeth already!

kitsune

#245 Post by kitsune »

Later this week I am getting braces as a present to myself for the big 3-0!

Most people think this is a little odd, but I know that the gift of a wonderful smile will truly make me happy.

Mack

#246 Post by Mack »

I got my first braces when I was 12.

purplepetunia

#247 Post by purplepetunia »

I'm 49, got my braces on when I was 48. Was hoping I'd have them off by the time I turn 50 (this October) but knew from the beginning I'd have the braces for 2 years and they wouldn't be off before my 50th. Hoping to be done Jan/Feb 2012.

My teeth were fairly straight throughout my life but started getting crowded with age. I'd been thinking about getting braces since I was about 40 but always seemed to be busy with other things—raising two sons, my husband was in the military so we moved frequently and he was gone a lot, plus trying to have my own career. I wasn't afraid of getting braces, just never seemed to be able to make the decision to take the time out for myself for such a major undertaking, both time-wise and cost-wise.

I'm not gonna lie—braces can be time-consuming when you factor in the appointments and extra time spent brushing/flossing/cleaning after meals and before bed. I don't mind modifying my diet—I have a TPA appliance and avoid lots of foods that tend to get caught in that. I don't really enjoy eating in social situations though, especially if I'm unable to clean my teeth immediately after eating. It's so distracting knowing there's food stuck in my appliance and not being able to slip away to take care of it!

Having said that, my only regret is not getting braces sooner!

Sevilon

#248 Post by Sevilon »

I had them as a teen, but they were European and removable, and when we moved to the US they were lost. My teeth slowly went back to where they had been, and then some. My front teeth looked pretty straight and nice, but my bite was a mess in the back, and it started putting pressure on front teeth, leading to some minute cracks in the outside layer of 3 teeth. That told me it was time to get braces again. I have had them for a couple of months and am 43 years old.

Perhaps I am just a late bloomer. I also did my undergrad at age 35, and finished my master's degree at age 42. I figure better late than never!

Sakujo

#249 Post by Sakujo »

I live in Sweden and orthodontic treatment is free of charge until you're 23 (?), so I got mine about three weeks ago and I'm 17. But I had braces (braces doesn't necessarily the regular ones which straighten your teeth right?) back when I was 9 years old too. Because of my underbite, I had to have some kind of braces which, with a little bit help from some rubber bands, was going to pull my upper jaw forward. It didn't work. :( So I'm going to have surgery done to my jaw in about a year! :D

pinkbows22

#250 Post by pinkbows22 »

I'm 26 and just had top front brace put on last Thursday with 11 spacers too (the joy of being newly braced is quite a battle at meal times lol). Have the rest of top and bottoms due on next Thursday as my ortho likes to do it in two sessions rather than one longer one. Looking at 12-24months in braces with underbite correction surgery estimated end of next year, and finally registered after reading this forum the past year now have started my own brace journey.

Junsui

#251 Post by Junsui »

I'm 21 and just got my uppers put on today. Wanted them since I was a young teen, but had to wait till I could pay myself (after college essentially). Very glad I'm finally there!

DINO87

#252 Post by DINO87 »

I'm 23 years old and has had my braces on for about six weeks (full metal). I was advised that I have to have four extractions, which I am not looking forward to, though. Like alot of folks on here, I knew I would as a child that I would need braces but of course, it wasn't something I was worried or bothered about. I was simply too busy being a kid. I do feel that my parents dropped the ball and that they should have initiated this process a very long time ago. Insurance wasn't an issue because I've always been covered, I just think it was laziness and of course, they were being cheap. Nonetheless, I finally decided to move forward with treatment now, because I'm in a secure place (financially) and I feel very blessed to say so. By no means, is braces a luxury, if you need it, its a necessity. Your teeth a smile can really affect your confidence and self esteem. If you are thinking about it, you should probably just do it, the sooner you start, the sooner you'll finish. There are tons of places that offer payment plans, making it more affordable. I am very excited to see what the finished product will look like.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#253 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

20 years old, Sophomore in College

brandiwhine

#254 Post by brandiwhine »

I'm 27 and have had my bottom braces for a couple months and once I am healed from my sarpe surgery they're going to put the top ones on. My top teeth are the worst so I am extremely excited to have them done soon. I've wanted braces for many years but my family couldn't afford them along with everything else it's taking to fix my smile (2 surgeries). So, I am beyond happy that I'm able to get it done before my problems with my jaw get any worse. Plus, who doesn't want to have a beautiful, straight smile.

belistic10

#255 Post by belistic10 »

i will be 25yrs old, getting them on in 2 weeks :)