Why Are Orthos So Un-Communicative? Any Orthos Here?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

payoki

I agree..

#31 Post by payoki »

although my ortho is really nice, I don't like to ask questions because he usually has this attitude like..."it's nothing, don't worry about it" so I usually try to find answers from HERE, from all of you...I'm paying my braces in cash and I'm spending $150 a month and my ortho can't even spend 5minute answering my questions...
mother of one.

erica

#32 Post by erica »

Just to bring up a couple of other points in defense of orthos.... First of all, I think dentists and orthos in general probably actively avoid too much conversation because it puts patients in the awkward position of trying to talk when their mouths are being held open! Also, I think a lot of orthos want to avoid having their comments interpreted as promises. I think many of us here are guilty of latching on to any positive comments that come out of our orthos' mouths while ignoring the balancing negative comments. It's human nature - but for an ortho, it can create a very unpleasant situation when a patient starts yelling "but you said..." Finally, it sounds like some orthos have tried to respond to questions in detail but have been labeled as "defensive" as a result. A bit of a catch 22!

My ortho is definitely a relatively quiet person, but he always responds thoughtfully if I bring up a question. After all, it's ultimately my job to let him know that I care whether I'm likely to get a Hawley or an Essix retainer, but it makes no difference to me what torque forces are at work in my mouth. It's different for every patient, so he shouldn't be obligated to launch into every detail for every patient. Heck, he'd put me to sleep if he did. :)

braceface1230

#33 Post by braceface1230 »

Erica, I couldn't agree more with your post. Especially when you mention the, "but you said..." part. A lot of times I get the feeling that my ortho is just "trying" something out. Almost a, "lets see if THIS works" kind of approach sometimes. There are sooo many techniques involved and many different ways to move teeth around. And different techniques may work better than others. So I could see where some patients may have that, "but you said.." response when something doesn't quite work as well as expected.

I think it's ok to ask some questions, SOMETIMES, but to drill your ortho every time you go in for adjustments will probably frustrate both him/her and yourself. I just think it best to be as patient as possible with your progress, and sure, ask questions from time to time, but within reason. And when there is obvious reason for concern.

ingyandbert

#34 Post by ingyandbert »

No one said anything about "drilling" the ortho for information. I was referring to posts where the patient is not provided even BASIC information, like "What do elastics do?"

I do understand the point about not wanting to make promises. But I don't think it's an excuse not to communicate with the patient (which obviously can be done at either the beginning or end of the session when the patient does not have to keep their mouth open). Lots of different professionals -- doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc. -- are in the position every day of having to explain information in lay terms without "making promises" about the ultimate outcome. why should orthos be any different?

JoeMama

#35 Post by JoeMama »

I agree with Ingyandbert (again). "Drilling" is different than asking questions. Erica, you make some good points, especially about the promise problem. But patients are entitled to ask questions about their treatment, or to have an idea of what the plan is and what's going on. To ask those questions or to expect some explaination is something very different than "drilling".
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

jennielee81

#36 Post by jennielee81 »

Oh I get the drilling thing because there is a woman (patient) at my ortho's office, who seems to have appointments at the same time as I, who drills him and the assistant.

I always feel bad for them and wish she'd check in here! Most of her quesitons could be answered by any number of us and leave him to more technical questions.

they do seem to answer her questions satisfactorily so who am I to judge :?
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

braceface1230

#37 Post by braceface1230 »

Personally, I don't let my orthos off the hook. I make them answer all my questions

Sounds like drilling to me.

If you can't get your ortho to answer even BASIC questions, then either find a different one, or find a different way of asking. Besides, are they getting paid to play 20 questions or straighten your teeth? Jeez, lighten up.

braceface1230

#38 Post by braceface1230 »

[quote]Personally, I don't let my orthos off the hook. I make them answer all my questions[quote]

If you can't get your ortho to answer even BASIC questions, then either find a different one, or find a different way of asking. Besides, are they getting paid to play 20 questions or straighten your teeth? Jeez, lighten up.

missingu

#39 Post by missingu »

For the record, maybe the reason it takes 20 questions for an ortho to finally explain a procedure is that they are NOT communicating the information well in the first 19 questions, and the patient is in a situation to keep asking until they finally find a question to which the ortho will respond. Dentistry and orthodontics are not generally professions people go into for the sake of interpersonal communication, so there's no reason to think they will communicate well. Some do, many don't.

Regarding the comment about the woman who the person posting commented does "drill" the assistant for information - while this forum provides valuable information, to suggest someone forego getting professional direction or advice in favor of getting the information from an internet message board to me is not wise. Even the webmaster has some kind of disclaimer that the board isn't professional advice, so if the woman has questions, I think the best place for her to go is the ortho or an assistant. Considering the vast majority of the cost of braces is for personnel, and not hardware, I don't think asking questions is out of line.

Marzipan

#40 Post by Marzipan »

Great topic, many interesting responses. The notion that orthos have traditionally treated many more children than adults is probably a reason they can be less communicative. KK is also right in that we should teach children to ask questions and take an interest in their own health care.

My ortho is very user-friendly - communicative and personable. I don't feel a need to know every detail, but each time she gives me a brief explanation of what is being done. Then if I have a question or two, she answers readily. On the other hand she does tell me I'm doing "A plus plus" (for following the rubber-band regime or flossing well) which is probably what she says to kids, also! LOL

I am in complete agreement with those here who say orthos are professionals who ought to be ready and willing to explain what they are doing. Their clientele deserves no less. If one patient doesn't want an explanation, fine. If the next one wants more information, he/she deserves to be given that respect.

alexa

#41 Post by alexa »

erica wrote:Finally, it sounds like some orthos have tried to respond to questions in detail but have been labeled as "defensive" as a result. A bit of a catch 22!
Just to point out that in my own case, I labeled my ortho as defensive because she literally freaked out. Her tone of voice got raised, and she pulled out all of these photos and called all of these people over to come tell me that my teeth look better. That would be fine if I had said that I didn't think I had progress, but what I had said was, "What do these elastics do?" She automatically assumed that the question was my way of downing her treatment plan, when in fact I had meant exactly what I said: What do these things do?!

Even after I explained that this is what I meant, she STILL didn't answer the question, just went on and on about how SHE is happy with the progress and how much better everything is. That, in my books, is defensive. :P

Anyway, my ortho is a very nice lady, and her treatment plan is working well...I just wish she didn't assume that I was criticizing her work everytime I ask a simple question about what is going on in my mouth!
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

ingyandbert

#42 Post by ingyandbert »

mookyyzed wrote:
Personally, I don't let my orthos off the hook. I make them answer all my questions

Oh for crying out loud! You are reading WAY too much into that statement. And did I claim MY ortho won't answer basic questions? NO! Read my posts again, carefullly this time. As I've already explained, I was speaking about things others have posted on this board.

And to answer your question, part of providing treatment is communcating with the patient. You may settle for having your teeth straigthened without asking any questions but a safer practice is to be an active participant in your treatment. Sometimes asking the right question can alert the ortho to a potential problem they had not thought of before then. They're not gods and they're not mindreaders.

'Nuff said.

belmikry

#43 Post by belmikry »

thank you for the topic! I would really like an ortho's perspective!

my first consult I loved my ortho- she was talkative and answered all of my questions- including the staff- the minute I got these puppies on though, they never ask me/tell me anything brace related- and if I ask they become defensive, as if I am doubting their skills-

it's ridiculous- I think it could be because they deal with children- so they become really funny about things- but then again I don't know- I never see my ortho unless its an adjustment, in which she has over 3-4 people in the office, so she's always too busy to ask. But on days where I go in for touch up's, msising brackets etc- she's never there and literally no other customers are in the office- what's the deal?? talk about trying to minimize time spent in the office- I just think it's ridiiculous- I would seriously feel 100% better about my treatment if they opened up to me- instead of making me feel like a burden.
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

jennielee81

#44 Post by jennielee81 »

Oh I agree! If the questions are technical or along those lines you MUST ask the ortho.

But she asks questions that are NOT necessarilly doctor only questions...but rather experience questions...staining bracets or cement, what will happen if I eat mustard, what do I do about this sore on my cheek...what if I accidentally swallow some wax...

Again, I agree that technical or medical questions should always be to the ortho. But if they were all about that, this forum wouldn't be here!

Have a great day!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

smilezofmetal2

#45 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

This should become a sticky...very interesting and true...most orthos rush their patients out before they can ask anything...or some simply some of us realize a question after we have left the office.