Bite Changes

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

anotherbraceface

#31 Post by anotherbraceface »

I might be late on this post, but i've definitely noticed unpleasant changes with my bite that are worse in the evening!

In the morning, I wake up with my teeth clenched together (old habit), which means my jaw closes fully. By mid-day, I find that I can't bite down fully anymore!

This is a new phenomenon, just started occurring within the last few days, but I'm assuming that the extent to which the muscles in the jaw are relaxed/tensed might be related to the change in bite. The minor changes might be more noticeable now that you're teeth are in transit :p

JumpTheDitch

#32 Post by JumpTheDitch »

You know whats really weird is that 1st molar USE TO TOUCH before braces. When the bite was opened up (front teeth moving forward and arch widening) then it seemed like that tooth either sunk or tipped forward. I have the original photo where the tooth touched perfectly. I wonder if its a side effect of repositioning the teeth.
:roll: Yeah, same Chris, my molars all used to meet fine, never had any issues chewing, but then like Kell says, I never spent any time thinking about my teeth so its hard to know exactly how they've changed, other than it didn't used to take me half an hour to eat half an apple (one chopped into tiny pieces at that! :roll:)
Jump - yeah I know what you mean about eating...some things like spaghetti are difficult to eat because the backs don't meet. I don't find it difficult to eat larger pieces of meat though.
Large pieces of meat ok? Really? Odd. I tend to stick to squishy foods still.

Ah the joys of orthodontia! :?

snazzynazzy

Bite changes advice

#33 Post by snazzynazzy »

I cant see how that can be corrected by itself or with a retainer?
If you click on my image you will see he has an uplift in the archwire going to that tooth, he says that should bring it upwards. :roll:

I had asked about elastics there and he felt the archwire would do it.
The classic figure 8 elastic that is usually used to bring the teeth together makes my jaw go into spasms.

If I were you I would make an appt BEFORE the debanding date and discuss how exactly that will be resolved with the retainer and if it doesn't, what are your options.
Thanks so much for the advice, because I really needed a second opinion! I was doubting whether I should listen to him or use my common sense :P Unfortunately, I dont think I can talk to him about it because my ortho 1. Only works 3 days a week, so it takes about 3-4 weeks before I can set up an appt and meet w/ him and 2. my ortho's going on vacation for a couple weeks, before my debanding :( which is getting closer and closer. Actually, I am really considering transferring even tho my treatment with him is almost over, because I really dont trust him! Like i was wearing my elastics VERY diligently, and he sed I overcorrected, and he forgot to tell me during my appt what im supposed to do next, and when i asked the hygenist, shes like"well, he didnt write nething, so just keep on wearing them as usual". I also called him up, and he didnt remember, so he sed the same thing. I think my bite is SO screwed up now, I think i developed a crossbite from the overcorrection :shock: . I dont think my ortho is interested in my teeth, so i just want to find sum1 else and transfer, because Im moving neway.