Crisis of confidence: metal or ceramic?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EKline309

#31 Post by EKline309 »

Hey everyone! I just joined this board today, I'm a 21 y/o Male from US. I'm doing my research now and still haven't decided on ceramic or self-ligating, but am leaning towards ceramic top and bottom. You all got good deals because I'll be paying $5465 or 4300 euros.

Anyways, just wanted to say Hey, and I'm sure this board will be my new home for the next 2 years!!

lisaemtp

#32 Post by lisaemtp »

I'm not 100% but fairly sure I'm going to get plain metal brackets, or damons if thats what the ortho suggests. I also think it'll be easier to explain why I'm talking funny if I can flash the "metal mouth". I'm a paramedic and I figure that worst case it'll be a conversation starter! Most of my patients already think I'm 15 years old (I'll be 25 next month). And I figure what the heck, If I'm going to have these things on I'm going to go all out - colored ligs here I come!

Lisa

tyrablu

#33 Post by tyrablu »

I am 23 and have will have full metal braces once we band my top arch. For now most people don't notice my braces on my lowers at all. Like you I have small teeth and a gap between my front teeth,so I was really worried about this in the beginning. But now I could care less because I know once my treatment is over my smile will be FABOLOUS.

Bless
TB

violinist

braces

#34 Post by violinist »

i would have clear ceramic on top and traditional metal on the bottom especially if I were one of those people who's job is talking face to face w/ people.

violinist

ceramic/ metal

#35 Post by violinist »

I have a friend her name is Lucia Williams shes very short and she wears braces . she is around 50 years old, even thugh she don't look like it, shes so adorable, back to what i was saying, yes she is also my mom' s friend, nd I am lucky enough to have her as my school guidence counciler.She wears braces, the reason she wears them is because if she didn't her teeth would fall out and her teeth would cut into the roof of her mouth nd would cause her such pain and she had a bad overjet, horrific, she describes it to me.well yes she is a guidence counciler and got the braces not too long ago. she has the Clear Ceramic ones on the top, becuase she talks to people teenagers like every minute of everyday and she dicided to go with the clear ceramic kinds on her top row of teeth and the Traditional Steel metal kind on her bottom row . though she has the clear on top she didn't want them to be that visable, all her 9-1 (Freshmen Division 1 {that's her division only}) can tell and all know she wears braces as much as she didn't want ppl to see they all know. But even though she says she hates braces her end resuklt will be her keeping her teeth nd having them be perfect for her and no moore pain. which is good, she's too mice a person to have to go through that much pain.

violinist

ceramic/ metal

#36 Post by violinist »

I have a friend her name is Lucia Williams shes very short and she wears braces . she is around 50 years old, even thugh she don't look like it, shes so adorable, back to what i was saying, yes she is also my mom' s friend, nd I am lucky enough to have her as my school guidence counciler.She wears braces, the reason she wears them is because if she didn't her teeth would fall out and her teeth would cut into the roof of her mouth nd would cause her such pain and she had a bad overjet, horrific, she describes it to me.well yes she is a guidence counciler and got the braces not too long ago. she has the Clear Ceramic ones on the top, becuase she talks to people teenagers like every minute of everyday and she dicided to go with the clear ceramic kinds on her top row of teeth and the Traditional Steel metal kind on her bottom row . though she has the clear on top she didn't want them to be that visable, all her 9-1 (Freshmen Division 1 {that's her division only}) can tell and all know she wears braces as much as she didn't want ppl to see they all know. But even though she says she hates braces her end resuklt will be her keeping her teeth nd having them be perfect for her and no moore pain. which is good, she's too mice a person to have to go through that much pain.

ghostmyimag3

#37 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Meryaten wrote:Saki - lots of great posts above - one more point I don't think I noticed is that metal brackets do tend to be smaller than ceramics.

Anyway, whatever you choose, remember, this is a very short span of time really!

Best of luck!

My brackets according to my mom today look like little diamonds. She told me of a lady at her job that has braces and they are rather large. I dont know if there are two types of metal or not. Its got me curious. If you go with the metal you can think of them as a conversation piece :)
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006