Lost weight?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cowlypso

#31 Post by cowlypso »

Hmmm... slower eating. My father would be impressed. I've always been a very fast eater. Even when I try to slow it down, I still eat faster than anybody else. I'll be sitting there staring at my empty plate while everybody else is less than halfway through! My father, with his uncanny ability to insult without actually meaning to, said last time I was home for dinner, "I'm always amazed at your ability to clean your plate so quickly." I suppose it really wasn't an insult, but I took it as one, since I've been trying to lose weight. And besides, I only took about half the amount of food that he did!

Anyway, I'm hoping that the slower eating will help, along with (hopefully) decreased snacking. Is it crazy that I'm actually hoping that my braces are horribly painful and thus make it impossible for me to eat much??? :roll:

I actually got asked last week if I had lost weight, because the department secretary noticed that my pants were looser. Unfortunately, I had just bought new pants. Not that I needed bigger ones, just that an old pair had worn out. I shop at the discount stores, so I can rarely buy the same brand twice in a row. And my new jeans just happened to be a looser cut. Oh well, it's the look that counts, right?

bunnyfluff

#32 Post by bunnyfluff »

Actually, yes when I've had them tightened in the past, i've been unable to eat much of anything for a few days at a time. Liquid diet mostly. Having braces surely is not an excuse for losing weight, but I think they certainly help in realizing you don't need to eat as fast. And healthier foods just feel better with braces because too much sugar can make your teeth feel icky. At least mine do!

BracedBelle

#33 Post by BracedBelle »

ChooChooo wrote:I think the weight loss will be permanent as my most favorite snacks (doritos, and almond SPAMMER) are forbidden.
"forbidden" isn't a word in my vocabulary. I've eaten almost every single thing on the list of foods my ortho suggested I don't eat or "be careful" about eating. I just eat slowly, carefully, or break things into small pieces first.

Tell me I shouldnt eat something and I'll usually end up doing it 8)

BracedBelle

#34 Post by BracedBelle »

Oh, I should add something about my weight since I didn't answer the question...

Braces themselves haven't stopped me from eating anything that I want to eat, but I do eat slowly with braces and TMJ pain. So, instead of 3 meals a day I eat 5 small ones (otherwise I'd need a 90 minute lunch break at work which is clearly not possible).

I'm looking at my 2+ years in braces as full self-improvement so I'm focusing on other things as well.... going to the gym 3x a week, eating more fruits and veggies, whole grains, and protein, etc. It's a result of these things that I've lost a few pounds and toned up.

FYI - weight loss isn't my goal... my goal is better overall health & fitness.

I also dine out less and have developed a lot more meals at home that I like to make and eat... my hubby and I had made it a habit to eat out a few times a week. We find we're happier making it a little less frequent for various reasons: (1) less calories (2) less wasted money - we're saving for a house down payment and our dining out savings is a couple of hundred dollars a month!

maple

#35 Post by maple »

A few people have told me that it looks like I have lost weight. According to my scale, I may have lost a few pounds as I don't eat between meals. It's too hard to brush every time I eat something so I stick to 3 meals and that's it.
I mentioned this to my ortho and he noted that my face has changed since I got braces. As my overbite is being corrected it seems like my face is looking more longer and hence the skinny look.

19Braceface

#36 Post by 19Braceface »

laina wrote:I've lost about 15 pounds since being braced about 7 months ago. I wasn't trying to lose weight, but I find it's too much of a hassle to eat like I had before braces. So, as a result I hardly ever snack because it's such a process to eat anything anymore.
This is almost exactly what happened to me, i lost 12 lbs. and i hate it, i was never fat nor chubby, i was OK but i lost weigh and barely snack also...brushing after i eat is enough, i don't want to do it in between snacks...i really hope i gain it when i get "naked" because i hate my face when it looks like nicole richie's... :?