longer face? :cry:

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nvcarissa

#31 Post by nvcarissa »

I think that maybe there is a period of time in the braces process when the face looks a bit haggard. My face lengthened from my surgery and that was fine with me (I have a stronger chin and the mandibular advancement tightened the area under my chin!). What wasn't fine with me is that for a quite a few months I really did have that Skeletor look. BUT, that seems to have eased off now and my face, though changed, has smoothed out and gotten back to its natural plumpness, which isn't as much as some, but the Skeletor look was really too much.

What I think has happened is that in the first 12-18 months of my braces I wasn't exercising/using my facial muscles as much as I normally do, and especially after my surgery, I was much more hesitant to put any stress on my jaw. And it showed in my face. I weakened the muscles which led to a tired, gaunt look.

So, perhaps doing facial exercises isn't such a bad idea. Think about the way weights are used to provide tone and definition to a body, the same goes with your face.

So...stop hiding your braces (and yes, pursing your lips together to cover them will naturally make your face look thinner since you are actually trying to cover more real estate), smile more, chew hard foods, etc. I think this will help.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

19Braceface

#32 Post by 19Braceface »

:shock:

nickym

#33 Post by nickym »

Hi, it's interesting to hear everyone talking about their face changing shape. I've only had my braces on for a month but already I'm sure my face looks different. I've lost some weight since getting the braces on due to not being able to eat as much, but my face seems to look more angular too. I've had people comment on it, saying I've lost a lot of weight off my face but I do think it's partly to do with the braces. I have to say, I don't mind it at all if people are commenting on how much weight I've lost, but I hope my face doesn't change too much!

mbarbi

#34 Post by mbarbi »

my face and profile changed a bit since i got braces.

idolfan4

#35 Post by idolfan4 »

yeah, but isn't having a longer face after braces suppose to be a good thing? Because I saw my pictures before I had braces and my face was chubbier and smaller. I like how I look now.

Braces Came On: August 2nd, 2005
Braces Come Off: April 19th, 2007

acehigh

I've noticed....

#36 Post by acehigh »

You know, I thought it was my imagination but my face does look a bit longer now that i have braces on. Good to know there's others with the same little problem.