People's reaction

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gramsinbraces

#31 Post by gramsinbraces »

I work in a grade school Cafe and all the kids were so cute yesterday to me, they all seemed to notice at once I had braces. Comments like "You have Braces" "I like your braces" or "my sister has braces" the funny one was from an honest little boy that said "why are your teeth green" I showed him I had braces and he just smiled then. All so cute and honest I enjoyed the comments. And any adults I've run into have been positive so far. Just be proud of what you are doing. SMILE
]

Top expander 12/2006
Top Braces Feb. 27, 2007
Top Expander removed 7/2007
Bottom expander 7/2007

bracesafter40

Re: People's reaction

#32 Post by bracesafter40 »

rcsw6 wrote:I've had my upper braces for about four days now and have been very surprised by the reaction I've had from people. ...
Like rcsw6 and gramsinbraces, I got braces at the end of Feb. (28). just the tops; the bottoms comes in 4 weeks time. My ortho wanted me to get used to the top first and I think my bottom teeth is touching the tops and she wanted to see how all that played out.

I'm excited and so are my co-workers and friends. I told almost everyone before I got them so when I did, they all wanted to see how I was doing and what they looked like. It was a beautiful things. In addition, another guy got his two days before mine, so I had company on my floor :-). Others have come up to me and say how brave I am and that I've inspired them to go get theirs done. Will see if they live up to that...

I've been on the street and people just do a double take, but say nothing. So far no strangers have commented on them. They are quite obvious once I smile and talk so there is no missing them.

I've not made it out to the bars just yet, but I will advise how that reaction is. Oh, I'm going to a bar tonight so will see. Going out for wings, well boneless wings :-(...

Even people I know at work has not said anything, but have clearly noticed. Some people are just shy about that. Thinking that I may be subconscious. If I see that someone is a bit uncomfortable, I just go ahead and point them out and get the topic out of the way, then you can see the relief on their face.

Hey, I've got 2.5 years of this ahead of me and God knows what other appliances I may get thrown in there, so I have to get them used to it all now. I may have a bit problem, so a bite plate (whatever that is) may be in my future. No headgear, but that may change.

My blog about it all is at http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com

moonchick

#33 Post by moonchick »

When I decided to get braces, I only told my boyfriend and one close friend. They thought I didn't need them, but were supportive when I finally did get them.

Everyone else's reactions were more because they were curious. They wanted to know when I got them, how long will I have them, do they hurt, etc. And several co-workers have mentioned that they wanted braces too, but thought they were "too old". But after they've seen me, a two of them have taken the plunge. I think I may be starting an office trend! :-#)

barbienightmare

#34 Post by barbienightmare »

hi,
the most common reaction Ive had is no reaction at all!

I was worried at first at what people would do, say or think , what if they said i look horrid or stare at them , talk behind me badly !
and thinking that any one who said any positive comments would obvioulsy be lieing to be polite!

well i was actually horrified to find that most people havnt noticed until I have pointed them out !!!!
and they were all really wow! and wicked and things and had either questions or worn braces themselves , but all please for me
Ive had one bad comment which actually really surprised me and from who it came from , my friend a good one who has always expressed a little crush on me (an unwanted one!) took a look and said "oh no youve been spoiled!"
I was a little gob smacked after 2 weeks of being fine
It was the thing I had most feared being said but when it happened I actually felt completely fine and above the bad comment and said , thankyou very much and laughed with him , but it so didnt bother me because as far as Im concerned , there bits of metal ,ceramic+rubber glued on my teeth for my benifit from my choice and Ive paid for the privalige just like as if I went for a boob job ! Im actually proud to wear and be able to have them, I know im doing somthing positive towards my self esteem rather than nothing and making myself miserable!
as far as I see it (and anyone half sencible ) its like this I didnt grow them, I wasnt born with braces and one day after a mini part of my whole life wearing them they will be gone and my teeth will be beautiful (infact then my face will be spoiling my lovley teeth i should think!! lol!)

spoiled indeed!
:lol:

barbienightmare

#35 Post by barbienightmare »

hi,
the most common reaction Ive had is no reaction at all!

I was worried at first at what people would do, say or think , what if they said i look horrid or stare at them , talk behind me badly !
and thinking that any one who said any positive comments would obvioulsy be lieing to be polite!

well i was actually horrified to find that most people havnt noticed until I have pointed them out !!!!
and they were all really wow! and wicked and things and had either questions or worn braces themselves , but all please for me
Ive had one bad comment which actually really surprised me and from who it came from , my friend a good one who has always expressed a little crush on me (an unwanted one!) took a look and said "oh no youve been spoiled!"
I was a little gob smacked after 2 weeks of being fine
It was the thing I had most feared being said but when it happened I actually felt completely fine and above the bad comment and said , thankyou very much and laughed with him , but it so didnt bother me because as far as Im concerned , there bits of metal ,ceramic+rubber glued on my teeth for my benifit from my choice and Ive paid for the privalige just like as if I went for a boob job ! Im actually proud to wear and be able to have them, I know im doing somthing positive towards my self esteem rather than nothing and making myself miserable!
as far as I see it (and anyone half sencible ) its like this I didnt grow them, I wasnt born with braces and one day after a mini part of my whole life wearing them they will be gone and my teeth will be beautiful (infact then my face will be spoiling my lovley teeth i should think!! lol!)

spoiled indeed!
:lol: 8)