Over 40 and Going Into Braces....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Epyx

#31 Post by Epyx »

Just turned 40, have had braces now for 8 months. I don't encounter adults with braces in my travels much - the oldest I had seen at work was early 30s.

I used to wonder what people might be thinking (before I got them), but it's one of the best decisions I ever made. My only regret is not getting them sooner. I used to put my hand in front of my mouth a lot when I smiled - I haven't done that for many months, and I won't ever do it again :)

I only really got them to close up a large gap between my front teeth. But nice straight teeth, better bite alignment, reduced overjet and improved spacing are all very welcome bonuses!

Go for it, you won't regret it.

Jembrace

#32 Post by Jembrace »

I'll turn 49 in a couple of weeks, got my metal mouth this past December. I also have bite problems, so no invisalign. I've had a bracket or two come off a few times, but otherwise things are moving right along. You're right in with the rest of us fortysomethings, might as well have fun!

Jembrace
1st wire change June 2007

~No dream is ever lost if we never cease to try~
Moody Blues

Graceful58

#33 Post by Graceful58 »

A few more weeks before I go in for the my full fledge consultation with all the xrays and models they took. I've just started my own blog and will journel it each step of the way. Check it out if you have the time.

Thank you again to the "40 Crowd", I look foward to hearing how you're all doing each step of the way.

http://bracefacemom.blogspot.com/

laurene

#34 Post by laurene »

Hi,

I'm 41 and will be getting braces in a month or two (finally). I have thought about it since I was a teenager, and now I'm getting them. Finding this forum was one of the greatest things. I didn't know that braces are 'in'!

Graceful58

#35 Post by Graceful58 »

Laureen,

That's great, I'm sure you're very excited about getting started! I get my pallet expanders in a couple more weeks...not excited just want to get things moving. ;) I have a wonderful ortho and he's having them make the pallet expander without all of the acrylic which will make it easier for me to talk...
Lower Jaw Advancement & Mentoplasty- Dec 31st...Happy New Year!!!

http://bracefacemom.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Graceful

acehigh

44 and in braces

#36 Post by acehigh »

Hi. I've been wearing my braces for over 4 months now. I have gotten used to them, and was recently given elastics to correct an overbite. When I first went to visit the ortho, I was telling him I'm there to get invisalign. Because of the overbite, this was not possible. I then left and forgot about it all. A month later the receptionist phoned to see if I was coming back. After thinking about it, I thought it wouldn't hurt to take the next step. X-rays, pics, etc. I once again told the doctor that I'm not there for braces, but for invisalign.....even if the overbite would go back a little I would be happy. He once again told me there was no way that would work. So, I once again left the office and that was that. The receptionist phones again, and I actually made the appointment to have actual braces put on my teeth. I went with the clear inovation....the newest ones. Of course when you have them put on for the first time and see that archwire all over the place........ohhhhhhhhh boy, it's enough to throw you for a loop. I was shocked....lol. My teeth were actually quite nice and straight to begin with. I left the office, went home, looked in the mirror, and headed straight back to the office. I told the doctor I wanted them taken off!! (I was trying not to cry....lol). He told me to give it an hour and then come back. Of course he had a nice talk with me first, trying to tell me to try them out for a week. Of course this was just too long a time frame......I was in a panic. I went home, talked to my daughter who told me to keep them on. She mentioned that my bite and the pain in my jaw would only get worse. Besides, everyone wears them. (They really are very common). I ended up phoning the office and telling them I would give it a week. It's been over 4 months, and i'm so happy my daughter was home during that one hour to stop me from having them out. Within that week I actually noticed changes, which made me excited, and glad that I made the right decision. Besides, no one really cares that you're wearing them....only you. The pain in my jaw went away immediately as my teeth were forced into new positions. I couldn't believe it. The doctor told me that he has had many patients that were unhappy and unsure, but I was the first to come back within 1/2 hour wanting them off. What a patient man he is......lol. (I'm female by the way). Go for it.....the time does fly by. (I didn't realize I wrote such a long message). :D

bracesafter40

#37 Post by bracesafter40 »

I'm 41, almost 42 and got braces on Feb. 28, 2007. Just do it and get metal!
Wednesday was my high point; I saw changes after two weeks with the bottoms! I was so excited!
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com/2007/ ... mming.html
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

sashamax

#38 Post by sashamax »

I'm 42 and been in braces since March 2 2007. I could completely relate to the story of the person who wanted to take them off after only 1 hour, however as time goes on and the changes begin I now want to leave them on and finish. I find the soft tissue damage the worst side effect. I used to cover my mouth before braces as I was embarrased by my smile, so with braces this is not different for me.

Good luck on your journey

Ready2go43

#39 Post by Ready2go43 »

Hi I am 44(in 2 weeks)got braced yesterday got stressed about it,after it was all done,I cant understand what I got stressed about,all went great,should of done it years ago,go for it,good luck
Braced 19/04/07
Damon 3s
Upper & Lower

lilsisbet

#40 Post by lilsisbet »

Braced at 46 and they will be off at 48 - June 14th, 2007 is my official debanding date unless a cancellation comes available in May :lol:.

Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. I consider it one of the best things I have done for myself. The 26 months in braces has flown - there have been no issues with friends, family or in the workplace. But I will admit... I am very happy to be at the back end of the process. It will be Peaches and Cream corn on the cob for me this summer with lots of butter and salt! :D
Elizabeth
Braces on March 15, 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months. Official debanding date - June 14, 2007 - Total of 27 months!

ellebee

Forty Plus Plus

#41 Post by ellebee »

I'm closer to 50 than to 40. Although I think my braces make me look 35. Well, there has to be a bright side. Haha.

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

Dreamsmile

Braces

#42 Post by Dreamsmile »

I had my braces put on March 6th 2007 at age 46 it has been a month and a half already. I am totally use to them now. Although as my teeth shift my speech gets a bit slurry. Eating is not painful anymore, I still cut things up. But I say go for it and good luck. I need upper and lower surgery. Won't have everythng completed for another 2 years or so.

KateEd

Hi Graceful!

#43 Post by KateEd »

I'm 48 and had my braces put on two days ago. I went to work today and no one even noticed, but they noticed my brand new tennis shoes! I have very little pain, just a few mouth sores, dental wax is my friend. I wanted Invisilign too, but my bite is way too off for it to work without a lot of hassle. Just think of it this way, with Invisilign, you're torturing your teeth, with regualr braces, someone else is, blame the poor ortho assistant. Joking! I don't have any info on the expansion thing, just hope it's not a painful thing for you. Good luck and a great smile to come. Kate

Al dente

#44 Post by Al dente »

I'm 43 and was just braced a few hours ago (my first post is in here somewhere). It seems we are unanimous: go for it, and don't let the image of ol' metal mouth deter you. My only suggestion is that you consult with enough orthos. My recommendations were pretty varied, and included surgery, but I finally decided on a practitioner who uses Damons without RPE. Good luck!