Clears or Metal

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

alliphd

#31 Post by alliphd »

I will be getting ceramic uppers and metal lowers. I'm also getting In-Ovation brackets (self-ligating), so I won't deal with the issue of lig colors. My bottom teeth never ever show when I talk or smile, so I'm not worried about those. Really I could have gotten ceramic all over, because for my ortho the ceramics are only $75 (US) extra per arch - not much in the long run.

Miss Smiley

#32 Post by Miss Smiley »

What a steal, who's your ortho!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

GinaLime

#33 Post by GinaLime »

$75 bucks extra is a great deal -- I think my clear uppers were like $300 extra!! But then again, my ortho isn't the biggest fan of ceramics -- he doesn't even do them on the bottom because he says they chip too easily.
Last edited by GinaLime on Sat May 19, 2007 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

kirjax

#34 Post by kirjax »

my ceramic uppers cost me an extra $390.00!

But to me if ceramic is supposed to be "comfortable" I don't want to know what metal feels like bc ceramic (atleast for myself) isn't very comfortable. They are a bit bigger and having small teeth they also appear larger. I got asked, "what's on your teeth" by a 9 year old today and then once I said braces he's like, "oh cool"...I think at that age children are used to metal braces. But other then that nobody and I mean nobody notices I have braces unless I'm up close and smiling largely. I also was asked if I wanted colored ligs but I opted for pearl (which is an alternative to clear but less stainable).

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

LaaLaa

#35 Post by LaaLaa »

I'm actually very happy that I got clear on top. $75 for them?? Wow, you sure got a great deal alli. Mine cost $200, which I say isn't too bad. I wanted clear on both arches and still do but since my top teeth hit the bottom brackets, it ain't happening for me. I'm envious of those with all clear brackets on.

When I only had my upper ceramics on, NOBODY with the exception of family of course, noticed that I had braces. The first day with both arches banded is when what seemed like every person on the planet asking me if I had gotten braces. Even a good friend of mine told me she loved my ceramics because you couldn't tell you had braces on and wished she could've gotten them when she had braces!

alliphd

#36 Post by alliphd »

Wow - I didn't realize they were so much more expensive! I think part of the reason is because the metals I will be getting are still In-Ovation brackets, self-ligating, so maybe those are more expensive in general? I'm very worried about breaking off bottom brackets, since my large overbite is what I'm having fixed. I know my ortho plans to put cement on my molars to prevent me from biting down so far, but it still concerns me, so I plan to get the metals on bottom.

kypsis

#37 Post by kypsis »

Wow, I paid $600 extra to get the clear on top! I guess that's New York City for you... But they really are almost unnoticable, and if people don't know you're getting braces, it takes them a while to notice you're wearing them. I think the only reason people notice mine is that I put a ton of wax on them since they have very sharp edges, so all that "stuff" makes my teeth HUGE and thus they stand out. LOL.

DirtyMartini

#38 Post by DirtyMartini »

I just posted this on a general cost query message but I'll post here again:

If I want to go with ceramic or gold brackets then an additional fee of AUD $750 per arch applies - so in USD that is 617.520 per arch

Miss Smiley

#39 Post by Miss Smiley »

Here's what my clear ceramics brackets look like viewtopic.php?t=18851&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

kirjax

#40 Post by kirjax »

I had a birthday celebration to go to today and hadn't seen much of my family in a while. Most didn't even know I was getting braces and my cousin was sitting across the table from me and she looks at me oddly and says, "did you get braces!" - It was literally 30 min after I had been sitting there talking with her! She told me she didn't really notice until I laughed. But then afterwards she kept looking at me going, "your talking funny!"

Most of my family didn't notice but all said they looked great and even complimented me on taking the step. It made me feel good that I wasn't just "wasting" my money like some others have told me!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

Dimples

#41 Post by Dimples »

Miss smiley I like your braces! You can barely seem them. And I like the pink lig's too. Are those inspire ice brackets? The brackets look like little tiny ice cubes.

I have 3 more weeks until I get my ceramic uppers and metal lowers!!!

Thathrill

#42 Post by Thathrill »

Very interesting convo. I am jealous of the $75 cost for clear. Min ran about $400 more. Believe it or not I don't really have any problems with the ceramic (other than 2 of the brackets popping off LOL) Its the last metal molar brackets that are irritating my insides of my cheeks. Today is a good day but I and off waxing them. I think its hilarious how I'll have wax on then I would eat a snack and notice the wax is gone. Just so weird to know I am eating dental wax lol

Also I usually have to tell people I am wearing braces. I have always taken care of my teeth and my teeth match the ceramics perfectly. People notice them when I laugh or they are really close up.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

DirtyMartini

#43 Post by DirtyMartini »

KK wrote:
If I want to go with ceramic or gold brackets then an additional fee of AUD $750 per arch applies - so in USD that is 617.520 per arch
Living in the big city in NSW is tough DM, as my uppers cost no extra, and if I'd got lowers, I'd had to have paid something, but I know it wasn't much ... just can't remember, as I knew didn't want them.
Enjoy! :banana:
I have NO PROBLEM with people studying for years, opening their practices and making money - no problem at all - good luck to them but (ain't there always at but?:o) it's galling to realise that obviously the brackets aren't THAT much more expensive for him to buy...he's simply adding a premium on to the cost as he knows it is a money spinner.

Based on other's experience on this board, I'm actually going to ask if they will put clears on just the front - top and bottom, metal on the side and back and charge me for only one arch.

Granola

#44 Post by Granola »

I have upper ceramics and lower metals. My orthodontist uses Inspire ICE ceramic brackets, and doesn't charge adults anything additional for cermics on the upper arch. They do charge for lowers ($300, if I remember correctly), but didn't recommend them for me although I was given a choice.

I chose metals for the lowers per their recommendation, since the brackets are not a permanent fixture in my mouth, and decided to use the $300 I saved towards new bleaching trays once my braces are removed. :D

Here is photo of my mixture of brackets.

They are clear, but using a flash always causes them to look bright white.

I would have preferred the aesthetic of ceramics on the lowers, but I don't think that the combination of metal and ceramic looks strange at all, and my lower teeth show a lot when I talk.

Sometimes people (adults and children) will ask about my braces, which is always welcome, but most people don't seem to notice them at all.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

LaaLaa

#45 Post by LaaLaa »

DirtyMartini ~ Good luck on trying to get a better deal on your ceramics because that sure is expensive. I'm not sure if this goes for all countries or states even but my ceramics cost of $200 was only for the front 6 teeth. The rest of the upper teeth are metal, which I think is fairly common.