30-"really old for braces"? What's the average?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Betty Bat

#31 Post by Betty Bat »

I have yet to figure out the point that Markuhde was trying to make in his initial post on age. Do you want me to feel bad that I had braces when I was "old"? Are you trying to discourage "old" people from posting on the board? What's the point of this discussion? Isn't there something more constructive that all of us can be talking about and thinking about?

I like to think that this board celebrates, encourages, and supports adults who have braces - no matter what age they might be. Why not help other adults who have braces or are thinking about getting braces? Why put an "old" label on some of us?

On one hand, I wanted to just ignore this thread in the hopes that it would just go away. But, I think it's important for adults who are braced or thinking about braces to know that there are people, on this board and in real life, who can offer support.
Last edited by Betty Bat on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markuhde

#32 Post by markuhde »

I'm 23, having 16 and 17 and 18 year old friends doesn't seem that odd to me. Most of these guys have been my friends for quite some time too. When I was 18 graduating H.S. and they were 11-13ish, that was more noteworthy, but there's always been a bit of "big brother/little brotherishness" to those friendships and our church is a tight-knit little family so I'd really call most of the people there my friends, but a few of these guys especially so. BIG SHOUT OUT TO JAMESEN IN ATLANTA - he just graduated H.S. and is doing Master's Commission down there on a full scholarship ( http://www.mcatlanta.org/ if you haven't heard about it). My big group of friends mostly just graduated H.S. actually, I was one of the older ones and the now 16 year olds were the younger ones in our little group.

So yeah, I have younger friends, so be it :) And I'm really immature so that adds to it. LOL. Most people who meet me think I'm in high school (a fact braces HAVE NOT helped but I don't care they're my teeth and I want them to look good!).
Last edited by markuhde on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markuhde

#33 Post by markuhde »

"Do you want me to feel bad that I had braces when I was "old"? Are you trying to discourage "old" people from posting on the board? "

HECK NO!!!!! Go for it and make yourself look better and have fun with it!

What I posted was in a different thread and someone took offense and split my comment out! I didn't post it for all of y'all - I posted it for Mariah! She got some grief in her half-birthday thread and I just wanted to let her know it didn't matter how young she was and that if she wants to celebrate he half-birthday then all I can say is I now have the song Celebrate Jesus stuck in my head. If you don't know it goes:

Celebrate Jesus celebrate
He is risen He is risen
And He lives forevermore
He is risen He is risen
Come on and celebrate
Come on and celebrate
Come on and celebrate
The resurrection of our Lord

Not a birthday song but definitely a party song and yay Mariah! This board needs some more fun and some more half birthday yee-haws!

bbsadmin

#34 Post by bbsadmin »

Posting religious rhetoric in any form on this message board is not acceptable. (Same goes for political rhetoric). This thread is now locked and I expect not to see messages like this in the future.

Regarding this thread in general -- I don't understand why everyone got so upset about the comment that most adults with braces are in their 20s. Our Braces Poll from September 2006 showed that 33% of adults in braces were ages 22 to 29, followed by 27% being ages 30 to 39. So according to that poll, most people who answered the question were in their 20s. And together, the majority of adults in braces were in their 20s and 30s.

The original comment (from a post that is now deleted) about 30 being very old for braces is not correct, and in fact is quite offensive to most people on this website. I got braces at age 41, and I celebrate the fact that I don't have to live the rest of my life with crooked teeth and a messed up bite.

Many uninformed people seem to think that anyone older than a teenager is too old for braces. Adults who don't need orthodontic treatment and haven't done the research don't know that you can get braces at any age, as long as your teeth and gums are healthy. It's a perception that is slowly changing, as more adults get braces, and seeing older adults in braces becomes more commonplace.

This thread will be deleted soon.

-Lynn the site Admin.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!