50 and getting braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Marsheila10

Re: 50 and getting braces

#31 Post by Marsheila10 »

I went to see my orthodontist August 10. He put 3 spacers in my back teeth to get ready for my braces. My braces go on September 12. I am excited to get started but nervous. I am trying to get prepared with all of needed stuff. I bought a survival kit from denta kit to carry with me and I made my own kit to have at work. Any suggestion on things I may need or what will be good ideas on what I will be able to eat. I just turned 51 on August 6. It's still alittle strange to be sitting in the orthodontist office with all of the kids and teenagers but I am beginning to get use to it.

Marsheila10

#32 Post by Marsheila10 »

Well the countdown is on. This is Saturday September 10 and 10:25 p.m. CST. My braces go on Monday September 12. My appointment is at 9:00a.m. and I hear I can expect to be there at least 3 hours. How do you pass three hours while having braces put on? Help!! I'll go stir crazy in three hours :crazy: What can expect to be able to eat the day I get my braces on?

VancouverJude

#33 Post by VancouverJude »

Marsheila10 wrote:Well the countdown is on. This is Saturday September 10 and 10:25 p.m. CST. My braces go on Monday September 12. My appointment is at 9:00a.m. and I hear I can expect to be there at least 3 hours. How do you pass three hours while having braces put on? Help!! I'll go stir crazy in three hours :crazy: What can expect to be able to eat the day I get my braces on?
Hi Marsheila!

Welcome back. Bummer you had to postpone your braces treatment but congrats to you to keeping on track with your goal.

Recently you asked what is sort of crucial to have at work/home for braces. I find the #1 thing I like to have with me at ALL TIMES is a medium size proxabrush for cleaning your teeth after eating. Keep one in your purse, jackets, locker at work, pants pockets. It's very easy to forget to have around and just awful when you need one.

Let us know how long you were in the chair on monday, I bet it won't be more than a few hours. I don't think you'll be bored <grin.>

So back in the day you were asking us about colors, etc. Did you go with metal or white braces? Give a report next week.

regards, Jude

klobird

#34 Post by klobird »

Hey Marsh--

Congratulations on getting your braces!! I will be in the chair at the same time as you for my 2nd adjustment since braces!
My ortho said this appt would last 2hrs. (lots of stuff to do this time, I guess). We can be uncomfortable in the chair together!!

I have already bought rice and cream of chicken soup. Soft tortilla shells and cheese. Puddings, ice cream and jello, noodles and mashed potatos. And tomorrow I am going to have the biggest,best hamburger and fries in the whole city!

Actually, I had much more discomfort on my 1st adjustment (after 3 months in braces) than I did on brace day. No problems at all on brace day. Not even the days following. I guess I was lucky or something. No pain at all until that 1st adjustment!! :yikes: :shock: :crazy: (NOT looking forward to Monday!)

Soooo, my advice: Take Ibuprofen before getting the braces on. Stick with the soft foods for a few days. Call the ortho if a wire is poking. It takes about 5 seconds for them to clip it, but gives you a ton of relief. Best of all---use wax--on every thing that is pokey.

Most helpful items: Mack's silicone earplug wax--much softer and easier to use. A waterpik is a must!
Crest Glide Threader Floss and proxabrushes. Oh ya, and wax. Mouthwash--Act mouthwash is good. Oragel or Rincinol for the more uncomfortable times (I have rarely used it--but I'm glad it's around). Oh ya, and wax....

In a few hours you will be part of the club!!! (The seniors with braces club!!--55 here!)

Marsheila10

#35 Post by Marsheila10 »

Well I made it thru week one with my braces. The second, third and fourth days were the worst so far. I am doing pretty good with eating. We had a one week anniversary party yesterday. I did go with colors. I have pink on right now. I will get pictures up soon.

sea54change

#36 Post by sea54change »

Marshelia-

I was 59 when my braces were put on. I celebrated the big six oh in May this year.
I have ceramics on top and normal metal mouth on bottom. Since my braces were put on last Sept. I've never chosen pink for the bottom. I've used all the greens and the blues to match most of my clothes. I don't own anything pink! For my last few weeks, I'm going with HOT PINK!
Bottom braces: 9-1-10
Top Braces: 12-1-10, enamel
Debrace date:Top 12-12-11
Bottom: 1-5-2012

raider82

#37 Post by raider82 »

I'll be 50 in two months and have had metal braces on my upper teeth for three weeks, along with a palatal expander. It's good to know there are many others my age from whom I can draw inspiration and advice.