Frustrated Need Opinions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jem

Re: Frustrated Need Opinions

#31 Post by jem »

That sounds really bad news,CA. Is it worth getting a second opinion?

All the best,

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Chaplains Assistant

#32 Post by Chaplains Assistant »

Jem,

I am getting my last pano to take to another ortho but he already said that if the bone and roots were going to be compromised he wouldn't do it either. i just can't justify a huge surgery and the cost just for a centered midline. I just wish he'd told me this before treatment and I would have never got my braces on.
Sentenced to 24 months
Upper & lower Metals
Braced on 8/23/2010
Debraced 7/23/12

Ellebraced

#33 Post by Ellebraced »

Hi Chaplains Assistant

Just read your story and I feel so bad for you. BIG HUGS!!!!

You must feel so disappointed to not have acceptable results and feel your ortho didn't have your best interest in mind. Its great your TMJ issues are addressed but like must of us I am sure you did this for cosmetic reasons too.

Good luck with your consult. I hope that there can be a solution that you can be happy with.

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

Amanda6

#34 Post by Amanda6 »

Hi Chaplains Assistant,

I have been having orthodontics to treat my TMJ dysfunction. I don't believe that all dentists would have done orthodontics the way yours has done to treat the TMJ. There are dentists who do functional orthodontics in adults to treat the TMJ by expanding the arches instead of extracting teeth. Some of them expand the arches sufficiently to open up gaps of missing teeth and replace the missing teeth. They don't use surgery to align midlines, or remove more teeth to align the jaw better. If I were in your situation I would seek the opinion of a functional orthodontist who treats TMJ.

OldBikerBag

#35 Post by OldBikerBag »

I think I would be acquiring detailed records of pre treatment agreements and goals, the treatment itself and final outcome, along with those before and after pictures and the consulting with a good attorney. Your results are completely unacceptable, after all the money and work you've put into it.

I don't care what people think of Tom Cruise. I think he's a putz anyway. Throwing his name into the mix sounds like a hollow, lame excuse for botching an ortho job.

That said, you are a gorgeous lady. Please don't focus your attention on your teeth. There are so many other features that make you...well, you. Don't be hesitant to smile broadly in pictures.

Regards.
385 Days in Damon Braces

Kipepeo

#36 Post by Kipepeo »

Wow CA. I'm so, so sorry for what you're going through. Truly unacceptable to me. Makes me think my petty complaining is small potatoes.

That said, I totally agree with OldBiker. I'd be contacting an attorney. Your midline did not shift that far overnight, so your ortho truly saw it happening, as did you right before your eyes. It's not like it did that despite his treatment.

I'm sorry, I would not live the rest of my life with that midline shift. But do what you think is best for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Chaplains Assistant

#37 Post by Chaplains Assistant »

So I went to the ortho today for an adjustment when I went in 3 weeks ago I told him he was going to do impressions today. He said we'd see. He had 1 tooth my #3 on the left that was tilted a bit that he wanted to tweak. You've had 23 months of tweaking I told him and nothing you can do to my teeth will ever make me happy with my midline shifted 5mm to the left. He looked at them today and said well - I still don't like that #2 to the left and I replied I don't care you're taking impressions today. He just looked at me and said he wasn't happy with that. My reply was I'm not happy with anything that has been done and every time I look at a picture of myself I cry so they need to come off. He just walked away and the tech took my impressions. He wrote on the retainer order to put a spring on the #2 tooth to help rotate it. Whatever...So on July 23rd they are coming off!!! Ordered a zebra pattern with hot pink and black retainer!!
Sentenced to 24 months
Upper & lower Metals
Braced on 8/23/2010
Debraced 7/23/12

LadyJennifer

#38 Post by LadyJennifer »

I only read the first page of replies, but I'm appalled as well! I would pursue legal action and find another orthodontist:-( that's just so wrong.

Eta, read the rest and I'm so sorry. I would still recommend legal action. He should know better than to think, no assume, anyone would want their midline that far off. I think that's a bad excuse for a botch job he doesn't want to pay for! He should refund you your money AND fix it, IMO.
((hugs)) I'm so sorry:-(

Chaplains Assistant

#39 Post by Chaplains Assistant »

Thanks LadyJennifer! I'm pretty tired of the excuses he gives me too. Will see what an attorney will do.
Sentenced to 24 months
Upper & lower Metals
Braced on 8/23/2010
Debraced 7/23/12

xanidu2012

#40 Post by xanidu2012 »

CA I went to the beginning and read your entire topic thread and like all others posted I would be looking at legal possibilities. Your before pics much nicer than after. Truth is truth. I know when my ortho took before pics I requested a set for myself (not that I expect to be disappointed after this journey). He did beautiful work on my son.
But CA keep us posted and let us know how you are doing. Best of luck to you. Hugs.

Lauralee

#41 Post by Lauralee »

wow. I cant beleive hes making you pay for the extra months!
My ortho gave me a 24month fee and if it goes longer then expected he pays the rest.

Chaplains Assistant

#42 Post by Chaplains Assistant »

Well today was the day I finally got debraced even though my ortho totally messed up my midline. It is off 5mm to the left but he said only way to fix was breaking both jaws with surgery. It makes me sad to see how off my smile is and to think I paid $6000 for it :'(

Trying to adjust to wearing my retainers (hawley's both top and bottom). I've gagged a few times with the bottoms - hope it gets better soon. The way my smile is make me not want to even bother wearing them.
Sentenced to 24 months
Upper & lower Metals
Braced on 8/23/2010
Debraced 7/23/12

xanidu2012

#43 Post by xanidu2012 »

I am so sorry you did all this and the end result was not to your liking/loving. Im so :cry: :( and :evil: for what you have gone through.