Today was my lucky day!!! I got braced!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jerseygirl

Re: Today was my lucky day!!! I got braced!

#31 Post by Jerseygirl »

Today I had my 2nd adjustment. I figured it would be less 'uncomfy' than the first but I must admit it was a tad worse. Luckily it is very fast.
But when he puts on the new ligatures - because they are tighter and pull on my teeth, the feeling is far from pleasant. LOL. And certain teeth are more sensitive than others. All to be expected I know - and no 'pain' no gain. The sensation is certainly tolerable. I also admit I'm a BIG baby, and I do have super sensitive teeth. Anyway - glad I'm done for another 3 weeks.

No significant pain now, but gonna pop an Advil as I do get a bit of a headache after an adjustment.

New top ligs - went with the tooth color ligature again, I really like them. Not sure what he used on the bottom - I think they are grey.
I notice my midline is off - he said my teeth will be moving all over the place and to not be concerned, eventually they will all line up fine. :)

Ceramic uppers and metal lowers
Estimated treatment time: 12-14 months

Jerseygirl

#32 Post by Jerseygirl »

My upper arch - progress. :)

Jerseygirl

#33 Post by Jerseygirl »

Last week I went for another adjustment and already crossed the 2-month mark! :)
My ortho is very pleased with how much my top teeth have moved - and so am I!

It was the first time I had a wire changed - just on top. A little thicker of a wire.
On the bottom he used a wire tie rather than a ligature on one of my teeth that needs to be rotated.
I'll attach some new photos.

LadyJennifer

#34 Post by LadyJennifer »

Congrats on your braces! It's encouraging to see other adults getting them.
How do you feel now?
(I just realized I didn't read all of the replies so you may have shared a recent update already. If you have, don't mind me! Lol)

LadyJennifer

#35 Post by LadyJennifer »

[quote="Jerseygirl"]Last week I went for another adjustment and already crossed the 2-month mark! :)
My ortho is very pleased with how much my top teeth have moved - and so am I!

It was the first time I had a wire changed - just on top. A little thicker of a wire.
On the bottom he used a wire tie rather than a ligature on one of my teeth that needs to be rotated.
I'll attach some new photos.

[/quote]
Okay just seeing this now. Wow!! That's a lot of movement for just two months!
I hope mine are as cooperative;-)

Holagato112

#36 Post by Holagato112 »

Congrats!! I just got mine last Friday. I'm 26 and had my first consult 13yrs ago but never went through with it. Glad to see your quick results!! keeps me motivated!!! Can't wait to see what mine will look like in a few months!! :)

Jerseygirl

#37 Post by Jerseygirl »

Thanks!! :)

Jerseygirl

#38 Post by Jerseygirl »

LadyJennifer wrote:Congrats on your braces! It's encouraging to see other adults getting them.
How do you feel now?
(I just realized I didn't read all of the replies so you may have shared a recent update already. If you have, don't mind me! Lol)
I have days when certain teeth are a bit sore but it's nothing horrible. The biggest issue is how difficult it is to eat - chewing is not easy at all. I think most people encounter this. I've adjusted and just accepted the fact that it will be this way until I get them off. ;)

Jerseygirl

#39 Post by Jerseygirl »

Hi there -

Been a while since I've posted about my progress. Time is really FLYING! I had the same typical fears so many adults have before I got braced. And I put it off for years - and YUP wish I'd done it sooner. Had I known it would be this easy, I would have indeed started the process a long time ago.

YES it is a pain to eat, and initially a little awkward. But those are just minor inconveniences - nothing more. Adjustments are pretty easy. I don't really look forward to them and some are a bit more uncomfortable than others - but it's FAST! And it's even to the point now where any mild pain following the adjustment, doesn't really prevent me from eating what I want, though I typically eat pasta the day of an adjustment. Either I'm use to it or it just doesn't hurt that badly!

I had two more brackets put on - on the bottom back teeth. So now I have wires that go past the two gaps where I have no teeth just infront of my lower back molars. I have bumpers (skinny pieces of plastic that almost look like spaghetti) that fit over the wires so they don't rub against my cheeks.

Below you can see my progress - I have 6 months finished already! :) I'm thrilled with how my teeth are looking so far! It is quite an amazing difference if you look at how I started 6 months ago.

And here is my smile just before braces

My bottom teeth before braces

The Doc is pretty much focused on my bite now - and also rotating that stubborn bottom tooth a bit more.

Oh and for those debating about ceramic vs. metal - I LOVE my ceramic tops. I am so glad I did not go with metal on top. I see NO difference in bulkyness whatsover between top and bottom. And it's not that I think metals look bad or anything - I just find the clears to be less visible in photos and some people don't even realize I have braces.

Hope everyone else on here is having a great an experience and doing well!
:)

Jerseygirl

#40 Post by Jerseygirl »

I'm getting DE-BRACED!! Yippeeeee! :jump: :jump: :jump:
Four weeks to go!

The MAIN reason for my braces was to correct my bite which is now MUCH better. I can make my top and bottom teeth meet and I can bite into things.
The sides meet better too and an added bonus, STRAIGHT TEETH! :lol:

Here are my final pics WITH braces - will post pics again once they are off.
Please excuse my ligatures - they are very stained - I go next week for my final adjustment and will get new ligs.

Thanks everyone - this board is the best!

Matilda

#41 Post by Matilda »

Congratulations, Jerseygirl. Your teeth look very straight.

Jerseygirl

#42 Post by Jerseygirl »

Today was the day and it went VERY well. I am THRILLED beyond words, on Cloud Nine!!

I was excited but also a bit nervous because I'd read it can hurt. I honestly believe it's all about how gentle the ortho is. Yes a few spots hurt a bit - but it was nothing I could not tolerate and I have VERY sensitive teeth!!! It went fast and my teeth look so white and straight, I cant't stop looking at them.

I would do it ALL again in a HEARTBEAT!! So all of you still in braces - hang in there!!!!!! It is so worth it!!

It's hard to take a really good pic of them without showing my whole face but here you go!

Funtobeme

#43 Post by Funtobeme »

ArchWired28 wrote:Congrats!!!! :jump: I wish you the easy, exciting and pleasant journey! Please let us know how it goes!

P.S. Sorry to say, but the discomfort will most likely not go away in 3 days. For me, it was still ramping up at 3 days, and I only started feeling a little bit of relief after 2 weeks. I hope it will be different for you though! The good news is that this is probably the most unpleasant stage of braces, unless you have to wear extensive appliances later on ;-)
This is the same for me! Took 2 weeks to feel normal..if that's the right word :)