Ceramic or metal .........hmmmmmmmm????

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kipepeo

Re: Ceramic or metal .........hmmmmmmmm????

#31 Post by Kipepeo »

My biggest complaint since getting the ceramic uppers is how my upper lip seems to stick to them so much, and I have purchased every type of lip product imaginable trying to keep them moist.

After reading CJP's post above, I'm starting to think it is because they are the ceramic ones. My next appt is in 2 weeks, and I'm going to ask what still needs to be done and how long it should take. I've only had these for 2 months, but they've been the longest 2 months ever. If he says I still have several months left I way ask to switch to metal. Why not? I've had every other method during this treatment!

jem

#32 Post by jem »

Hi Kip,

I am sorry to hear you are not getting on with your upper brackets. I think they are the same as mine. Whilst I have nothing to compare them with, I have found them ok. I think the upper lip sticking out feeling is probably common to all braces. My ortho warned me I would have that feeling when she fitted them. I doubt the difference in bracket depth between clear and metal makes any odds.

As to keeping the brackets moist, I was very rigorous at first about always having water to hand, but now several months in I don't bother as much and have not had any problem.

I hope the problem goes away or you find an acceptable solution.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Kipepeo

#33 Post by Kipepeo »

You know it is getting better...and I think I know why.

At work I've been drinking water from the refrigerator dispenser. It has a not so good taste, so I put a small squirt of Mio into it. I've been doing this for MONTHS.

Then one day my lips and tongue got tingly and I started to suspect it may be the citric acid in the Mio. Well last week I was at training all week and did not have any Mio. My lips got better. One day I had pineapple and got the tingling almost immediately.

So now I've joined the water club at work (5 gallon supplied bottled water), and I don't use Mio anymore.

The tingling is not totally gone, but my lips do not feel as sore and tight as they were. I'm pretty sure I have some kind of citric acid sensitivity.

Ness817

#34 Post by Ness817 »

33 and had metal placed, mainly because they are smaller, with my small mouth and lips, the ceramic brackets would have been too big. I have a retainer on bottom to help widen the arch and a rpe on top to hold my upper arch. the metal brackets have given me little problems.

Matter of preference, but braces are noticeable and so are the trays for Invisalign.

Saw a friend of mine whom I haven;t seen in awhile and she also has braces in her thirties, we are not alone.

Onanan

#35 Post by Onanan »

I am leaning towards metal. When I was younger, I might have felt self-conscious about wearing braces, and wanted to go for the lower-profile look. As an adult, though, I am not worried about wearing braces. Might as well take the less expensive option (for me, anyway.)