Braces at 55

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vyvyen

Re: Braces at 55

#31 Post by vyvyen »

Ortho appointment on wednesday. Getting very nervous, hope he's more positive than the last one.

Chicken

#32 Post by Chicken »

Sending thoughts your way for Wednesday. Hoping you have wonderful news!

vyvyen

#33 Post by vyvyen »

Hello,
back again. My horrid teeth journey continues. Now seeing an excellent dentist that does invisalign and also has recommended another orthodontist. Will have mouth scan to send to invisalign to see what they say and if no go shall see the other ortho. Not giving up!
Cheers

vyvyen

#34 Post by vyvyen »

Hello,

Back again, finally. Very excited too! I have found an excellent Ortho with a masters in Orthodontics no less and only 1/2 hour from me. Have had full xray's, photo's, measurements AND molds. I had to take a valium and use an anesthetic mouth wash to get through the molds (I was a real space cadet lol). He is brilliant and said it would only take 1 1/2 years and I have so much faith in him compared to the others I've seen. Will be back in 4 weeks for appointment to discuss treatment plan. Jumping for joy at finally starting my braces journey. :jump:

kids041

#35 Post by kids041 »

vyvyen wrote:Hello,

Back again, finally. Very excited too! I have found an excellent Ortho with a masters in Orthodontics no less and only 1/2 hour from me. Have had full xray's, photo's, measurements AND molds. I had to take a valium and use an anesthetic mouth wash to get through the molds (I was a real space cadet lol). He is brilliant and said it would only take 1 1/2 years and I have so much faith in him compared to the others I've seen. Will be back in 4 weeks for appointment to discuss treatment plan. Jumping for joy at finally starting my braces journey. :jump:
Yah!!! I am so glad to see you did not give up! Best of luck to you. Keep us updated with pics if you want to
:tingrin:

vyvyen

#36 Post by vyvyen »

Hi,

About to finally start my braces at 55 journey. Saw the Ortho yesterday to discuss treatment plan, costs etc (won't be getting a new car in the forseeable future! I was so overwhelmed seeing my awful photo's and pictures of the inside of my mouth that I forgot to ask which braces he uses specifically. He has sent an email with AO-Empower brackets information. Has anyone used this system? Would be very interested to know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Vyvyen

vyvyen

#37 Post by vyvyen »

Well I well and truly start my braces journey tomorrow. I'm having a metal bracket bonded to one of my teeth to see if I get a reaction to the metal and the next day I have to have a front bottom tooth removed :oops: That is going to look so bad! If all goes well I will be having my full set of braces on Tuesday 20th May. I must admit I'm really starting to feel very nervous especially being 55 yo. Also he's using American Ortho Empower brackets self ligating, would love to hear about these from anyone who has them. Thank you :)

plugnickel69

#38 Post by plugnickel69 »

[quote="vyvyen"] I must admit I'm really starting to feel very nervous especially being 55 yo. quote]

vyvyen: The waiting is the worst part. You'll feel much relieved once you actually get started. I got mine on at 64, about 50 years later than the first time, and survived without any difficulty. But I still remember the butterflies in my stomach when I made arrangements to begin the process.

parsleysage

#39 Post by parsleysage »

Hey Vyv,

Today's the day! I hope that all goes well for you! We will want pictures if you have them!

You can also keep posting here or start your own thread in the Our Braces Stories forum.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Lorianne

#40 Post by Lorianne »

good luck to you! so happy the day has finally come for you and good for you for not giving up!

cata

#41 Post by cata »

Hope everything went well. Good luck!

vyvyen

#42 Post by vyvyen »

Hello and thank you so much for the encouragement :D Wow so glad I'm not the only one getting braces at this age and wow braces in 60's that is just awesome. I now have two brackets on my back teeth to see if I get an allergic reaction, so far so good and not bothering me at all. Had front bottom tooth removed just now, haven't even seen it as I have a mouth full of gauze. Dreading just how bad that is going to look! Thank you again :BigGrin:

parsleysage

#43 Post by parsleysage »

Woohoo! Sounds like a good start. :)

Let us know how the allergy turns out! Hoping for no reaction!

Dougsey

#44 Post by Dougsey »

Great progress vy! Stick with your plan. I also have problems with sitting in the dentist chair so I take a small dose of Xanex to calm me down a bit lol. I have my ortho consult next week at age 53.

Doug

purplestar

#45 Post by purplestar »

Glad to know that you are 1 step closer to full braces, congratulation.
I just had mine 10 weeks ago, at age of 43 :).