40 something and in braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nanhut

#31 Post by Nanhut »

I'm 35 and wondered the same thing after I got mine on... What was I thinking???? But it's been 2 months now and the time is just flying by. You'll get used to them (it took me about 2-3 weeks) and then you won't even notice them. Just keep your eye on the prize! :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Wired:7/26/05
Estimated treatment: 12 months
See 'Our Braces Stories' for pics and info.

Juliet

#32 Post by Juliet »

I'm 51 and have had braces for 6 months. I'm also a teacher and the kids were so surprised and intrigued when I came back from spring break with braces last April! One little guy told me he had NEVER seen someone "old" wearing braces:) I can't say I love them, but I am so glad I had it done becasue I can see improvement and hopefully I'm 25% through treatment! I do feel obsessed with my teeth and even in the car I flip my mirror down at stoplights to see if my teeth have moved since the last time I checked. At every appointment I ask to see my original molds so I can say, Wow! This is really working!" It keeps me going to know there's progress.

bbsadmin

#33 Post by bbsadmin »

donnamac wrote:I'm a retired teacher and a grandmother, but never too late to feel good about oneself.
Will you be able to share braces stories with your grandchildren? If so, that's really neat! :wink:

Oh yeah, BTW, I'm 44 and had braces for almost 3 years in my early 40s.
You know the phrase "40 and Fabulous"? Well for us it should be "40 and Fixed Up!" :o
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

donnamac

#34 Post by donnamac »

Shasha...Thanks for your words of encouragement. Believe it or not, I'm really looking forward to this new adventure ahead of me. I really don't care what other people say. I'm not doing it for them: I'm doing it for ME. 2 weeks until spacers...Oh boy! :lol:
bbsadmin, You bet I'll get to share stories with my grandchildren. For one thing, I will definitely encourage them to have braces before 57...hahaha. My younger son, who is 28, thinks it is awesome that I'm getting braces. He says he can hardly wait to see me. Think I should do the pigtails?

Dreamer

#35 Post by Dreamer »

Good for you donnamac! Just enjoy the process! I'm 49 and so happy to have my braces since I've wanted them my entire adult life..I pick bright colors and just enjoy them! They really make you look younger so enjoy it while you can! :)
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

donnamac

#36 Post by donnamac »

I went for another post-surgery checkup today with my periodontist. He gave me the all clear for my ortho visit on Friday. I'm really not sure what will be done on that first visit. My periodontist doesn't think I will need any spacers, so we'll soon see. Dreamer, you think I'll look younger? Really? Oh boy, just what I needed to hear. :lol:

Dreamer

#37 Post by Dreamer »

:) Yep...they make you look younger, most definetely! Your first appt will probably be just for a quick check and an estimate of what they think you will need done, time and money wise.. then they will either do your records and xrays or set up an appt for that and do your impressions and then if you don't need spacers you will be back 2 or 3 weeks later to be braced! It goes pretty quickly! I'm excited for you!

donnamac

#38 Post by donnamac »

I had already had my x-rays and stuff. This past Friday I thought it would be only spacers, but no...he put in 4 spacers AND my braces on the front...top and bottom. I haven't had any real pain...just sore teeth. They feel 100% better today. I go back on Friday for back braces. My journey has begun!!! :D

Dreamer

#39 Post by Dreamer »

Wahoo! Congratulations! I know how happy you feel to be finally taking care of your own wants and needs! I'm in the same boat and it sure feels good! Keep us informed on how you are doing along the way!

donnamac

#40 Post by donnamac »

With the exception of sore teeth and my back teeth not meeting, my first week with front braces has not been all that bad, no real pain. It sorta makes me nervous about getting the back braces today. I guess from reading all the posts about all the pain, I'm waiting for my time to come... :? My tolerance to pain is pretty low, so I've really been surprised. Ohhh, I went with light blue ligs...I figured, what the heck...go for colors! Eating? Lots of soft foods and SlimFast...but I actually ate some meat loaf and scalloped potatoes Sunday night. I probably swallowed a lot of it whole... :)

privatepilot

Way to go Donnamac!

#41 Post by privatepilot »

Hope things are going well. Don't worry too much about the pain if you haven't had it. I never really had it bad. When it got uncomfortable I took life with an Appletini-it helped!! I am so glad I got braces when I was old enough to drink. I can't imagine trying to be responsible for these at 13 or 14. And... Appletini's work better than Tylenol!!
It's all about ME!

Braces went on 8/25/05. Div II whatever that means!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/

donnamac

OMG

#42 Post by donnamac »

Okay, today I got to experience PAIN. It took a while to find the right size bands, and while she was putting them on...OH MY WORD...It especially hurt on one tooth that has been extra sensitive since my gum surgery. After she gets them on, she tells me she has to take them off and then cement then on. I thought she was going to pull one of my back teeth clean out of my head while trying to remove a band!! :soremouth: I can't even look forward to getting the things out one day for the fear of it being as bad as today. Putting the new wire in the bottom wasn't a picnic either. I guess my teeth are still sore from going last week. Anyway, NOT a good visit this morning. For the first time I actually wondered what in the heck I'm doing :crazy:

Teigyr

#43 Post by Teigyr »

To all those newly braced, congrats! I've been watching this topic with interest. I got braces right before I turned 43 so it was a multiple of indignities! I went through the feelings of pain/discomfort, spitting when I talked, and being paranoid to eat in front of anyone.

It gets so much better. My initial reaction was to drink more wine with dinner and do a bit more shopping at Nordstrom. Now I barely notice the braces are there and I consider them more an individual quirk than anything else. The only bad thing is I will be having surgery in about 9 months so my bite is changing for the worse as they line up my teeth for surgery. It will get way worse before it gets better!

I also met someone (a male!) who said he noticed my braces for about 10 seconds and that was it. As I was paranoid to eat in front of him, I learned he simply didn't think anything bad (or unladylike) of me because of the braces. He was and is very patient though I will say that margaritas help! Or Appletinis. I'm not that particular. Anyway, I now have a fantastic boyfriend!

It gets better, really.

Jane

Teigyr

#44 Post by Teigyr »

Thank you KK! You are always so cheerful and upbeat!

You are absolutely correct though I have to admit I was kind of depressed about the whole thing initially. At 43 it just feels funny going on a date and worrying about my braces!

Just goes to show you though. It's all part of the journey and it really IS exciting!

Jane