A letter to my ortho

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceface1230

#31 Post by braceface1230 »

I think she's upset with those who she feels, were overly critical of her, for the exact same reason her ortho may not be so happy with her right now. It seems to me that she can dish it out, but she can't take it. Maybe I put it a little too harshly. But what does she expect from her ortho? He warned her that ceramics aren't as strong; one snapped off right away (he was right, not as strong). He warned her that they are bulkier. Seems to me she just didn't listen to his advise and wanted it "her way." I know we want to feel that we have a perfect grasp on everything we're doing, but that's pretty unrealistic.
The ortho's not a mind reader. He may be great at moving teeth, but that doesn't mean that he's any good at anticipating every concern you have. He's your ortho and is very busy, and asking him to sacrifice his lunch (probably the only time in 10 hrs that he doesn't have to deal with us somewhat difficult adults, and most certainly those brain dead kids!) is incredibly selfish. To write a letter to someone telling them that their time, training, and most sincere efforts aren't up to par with your expectations would cut into anyone. I think you owe your ortho a much deserved apology. He works hard treating hundreds of kids and can't be expected to explain every single minut detail on every procedure to every one of them. So if he fails to live up to your preconceived notion of what an ortho should do for you, try to remember that you aren't the center of his practice. And that even though you don't understand why he does something, there's probably a pretty good reason for it. And if you have a question, ask him to his face. And before you ask him, make sure you don't already have the only answer you'll accept stuck in your head. Try to trust that he knows what he's doing. And if he's shown to be untrustworthy, find a different ortho. But I'm sure he/she'll use the same approach to moving teeth... braces with lots of hooks that are uncomfortable.
I definately have to shut up now.

fyrelight

#32 Post by fyrelight »

Admin, would you mind deleting this entire threat. All those negative comments - not so nice to read (ouch!) There is a nice way of saying "perhaps you could have worded the letter differently" and a not so nice way.
Excuse me, but isn't that EXACTLY what I did in my post?
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

bbsadmin

#33 Post by bbsadmin »

Enough. This topic is locked.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!