Help !! Metal or clear ???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

weird_wired

#31 Post by weird_wired »

kitty - if it's any consolation, it took my upper lip well over a month or more to get used to the "stretching over" the brackets. But it really is 100% used to it now.

Hope this doesn't mean it will be drooping half way down my chin when the braces come off ;)

dena

#32 Post by dena »

kirst1583--that does make sense. I think i tried that once and messed it up, so then i tried the "quote" button (next to "bold" and "underline" if anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about) and that worked out! :D

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Granola

#33 Post by Granola »

I've noticed again and again here generalizations like "ceramics are larger than metal" or "metals are smaller than ceramic." I have to point out that when it comes to size, with both ceramic and metal, it really depends on the brand of bracket within each of those categories.

With metals, I have looked at GAC Inovation self-ligating brackets versus regular small stainless steel brackets. The GAC ones have a smaller footprint on the tooth, but have a higher profile (meaning they extend out from the tooth more) than stainless. I haven't seen Damons personally but am sure they are unique in size compared to stainless or other metal brackets.

With ceramics, the size and profile differ by brand--and there are many brand names of brackets out there (3M Clarity, ICE, Mystique, etc). Also, some are opaque and some are translucent--that affects how they look.

When it comes to size, I agree that the comfort of a particular bracket, and its perceived size really depends on the size of the teeth (as some have mentioned) and mouth. I think that is why there is such a difference in how well people do with the various brackets.

I think it would be helpful, when these discussions occur (and I read them with great interest, since I am soon to be braced), for people to include what brand of bracket they have (metal or ceramic) and how that bracket works on their teeth. I find specific information like that much more helpful than subjective generalizations. That way, if someone's ortho happens to offer a bracket that someone mentioned, they can read about an individual's experience with them. It doesn't mean anyone should base their decision on another's experience, but it is helpful to read it specific information just the same.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

NotBob1

#34 Post by NotBob1 »

I agree with Granola that pointing out the make and model (brand and type) of brackets being referred to is helpful. I put on my sig line, as many others have, my type of bracket. This is the type I was told, but when they went on, the palate that they were stuck to on the little table said "Ormco". Now I am confused. They -look- like the In Ovation-Rs.....

Anyway, I went away from the topic a bit.....I'll bring this up in another thread.

Let us know when you decide on the metal or ceramic AND let us know the make and model! :D
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

Kittysopretty

#35 Post by Kittysopretty »

hmmm...I'll find out the brand of brackets I have since I have no clue

IndyBraceFace

#36 Post by IndyBraceFace »

I have clear on top and metal on the bottom. I really like having the clear brackets because it really does make the braces less noticeable. My feeling on it was that I was going to have braces for a long time and I was going to be self-conscious about them. I'm paying thousands of dollars, so an extra $300 to help my self-esteem didn't seem like much to me at all. I got the metal ties on the clear brackets that don't stain. They are so thin and just as unnoticeable as the clear o-rings IMO. I have had no problems with staining and I drink coffee, tea, and soft drinks regularly. I just make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day and brush my teeth like I'm supposed to. That being said, I am staying away from curry and mustard just in case, but I never ate much of that anyway.

That's just my opinion. I'm happy with my choice and you should choose what is best for you.

Anticipator

#37 Post by Anticipator »

I went with metal braces primarily because I didn't want to have to worry about staining. Whether they'd stain or not, I didn't want to have to add another concern to a procedure that was already going to be an impact in eating. I would rather have guilt free meals and a freedom to try anything my tender teeth would allow into my mouth. It's already hard enough for me to go through a menu and find something that I can bite into and not worry about being wrapped around wires. I didn't want to give myself a reason to limit more items on the menu.

It's peace of mind to a degree.

Yes I could get colored o-rings on ceramics, but that would defeat the purpose, wouldn't it? Plus, (with absolutely no offense towards anyone with colored o-rings on ceramics) I personally find that a less attractive alternative to plain metal brackets.

The other aspects about additional cost, difficulty of removal, increased size, etc. just made me more sure this was the right decision for me.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Natasha_26

#38 Post by Natasha_26 »

I have upper and lower ceramics. I was a bit concerned abt staining before getting the braces but the dental staff assured me that the brackets dont stain. I have white wire ties which doesnt show at all and since I am an indian, 90% of my diet consists of curry with lots of tumeric and I also drink a lot of soft drinks too. I havent had any staining at all.

As for the size of the brackets, it doesnt bother me at all.

Upper and Lower Ceramics

SkyWolf

#39 Post by SkyWolf »

My friend and I both have metal braces. We like being able to show off the colors. I like the metals ones because there small and I hardly even notice them. I have also had a lot of people comment about the wild use of colors that really show up against the metal. But it depends on you really if you want discrete go with clear. In my case being a college student I wanted the people around me to know that I'm doing something to fix what I disliked about myself. I enjoy smiling and showing off my smile whenever I can. I even convinced my friend who only wore tooth and white ligs when we became friends to be more open and try something different.