What's Next For You After Braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OneTime

#31 Post by OneTime »

After....this experience is over. I would like to get another cleaning and a deep clean. An xray exam to see if any monster attached on my brace journey. Then crest whiten for that white teeth smile.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

braceface1230

#32 Post by braceface1230 »

I too have those triangles on my lowers, but they're not visible when I smile so, I'm not doing anything with that. But, I do have a few spots on top where I have them so, either I'll have my teeth shaved a little or the gum grafted. I don't know yet... have to discuss the best option with the ortho and hygenist. Definately teeth whitened. And one for sure, maybe two teeth crowned.

Way Too Old For This

#33 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I'm lookiing forward to one implant and a frenectomy. I'm hoping the triangles close up some with tooth shaving before the braces come off.

I have several metal fillings and crowns. My dentist recommended replacing the large silver fillings because they expand and contract eventually causing the tooth to crack....which one of my molars did! It cracked in half both ways like a plus sign. I had four tooth parts. Nothing I've done with braces and oral surgery can come close to the pain from THAT ! I had a root canal on that tooth and a crown to hold it all together.
The reason I chose the gold crowns at that time was because the cost was less than tooth color. I doubt if I change any of them unless I have a problem with them. Gold crowns can take a lot more force than the tooth colored ones. Besides, its my BLING! I don't know though, I might be smiling so big when I get my braces off that the gold molars will show more than they used to!

For those of you planning to get veneers, I have one bit of advice. Not that I have ever had them, but living in So. California, the capitol of cosmetic procedures I see a lot of things not so good. My advice is research research research your cosmetic dentist before letting them put veneers on your teeth! There is a HUGE difference in the way this procedure can come out. I have seen people who can barely talk because their teeth are so thick. I have seen some that are so white they don't even need to turn the lights on at night, just open their mouth.

My husband let some dentist put them on his teeth just to close up a gap, and we spent a fortune with a real COSMETIC dentist trying to get them fixed. Remember you can't go back to your original teeth if you don't like the veneers.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

rsprouse

#34 Post by rsprouse »

Way Too Old For This wrote:I'm lookiing forward to one implant and a frenectomy. I'm hoping the triangles close up some with tooth shaving before the braces come off.

I have several metal fillings and crowns. My dentist recommended replacing the large silver fillings because they expand and contract eventually causing the tooth to crack....which one of my molars did! It cracked in half both ways like a plus sign. I had four tooth parts. Nothing I've done with braces and oral surgery can come close to the pain from THAT ! I had a root canal on that tooth and a crown to hold it all together.
The reason I chose the gold crowns at that time was because the cost was less than tooth color. I doubt if I change any of them unless I have a problem with them. Gold crowns can take a lot more force than the tooth colored ones. Besides, its my BLING! I don't know though, I might be smiling so big when I get my braces off that the gold molars will show more than they used to!

For those of you planning to get veneers, I have one bit of advice. Not that I have ever had them, but living in So. California, the capitol of cosmetic procedures I see a lot of things not so good. My advice is research research research your cosmetic dentist before letting them put veneers on your teeth! There is a HUGE difference in the way this procedure can come out. I have seen people who can barely talk because their teeth are so thick. I have seen some that are so white they don't even need to turn the lights on at night, just open their mouth.

My husband let some dentist put them on his teeth just to close up a gap, and we spent a fortune with a real COSMETIC dentist trying to get them fixed. Remember you can't go back to your original teeth if you don't like the veneers.
It is not that gold can take a lot more force than porcelin, it is that gold has hardness properties very close to natural tooth enamel. Porcelin is much harder and can wear away the opposing tooth. Gold crowns can also be burnished over the margin resulting in a better microscopic seal. The closer a restoration is to natural tooth the more resilient and long lasting potential it has. Gold is an outstanding material for dentistry, but its major drawback is lack of aesthetics. If you are going to wait until the gold crown fails to replace it, you could be waiting a long time :D

And great advice on the veneers. It is just fine to shop around and make sure you take a look at the dentist's portfolio. Cosmetic work is not for everyone and some are better than others. Any reputable practitioner will have some photographs at a minimum to let you see some of their previous work.

Best,
Rory

payoki

lot of work left...

#35 Post by payoki »

I need deep cleaning, gum grafting and implant...and I don't even have dental insurance. I don't know why I neglected my teeth for so long when I was in my 20's. I thought I was invincible or something...now everything is falling apart, condition of my skin, teeth, bone... :lol: but it's not too late, it'll cost me but lesson learned..
mother of one.

braces4me

#36 Post by braces4me »

I will be having surgery to fix my underbite(this will be done before braces come off of course). And then after that I will need three implants and I plan on getting my teeth whitened. All this will cost a fortune, but worth it in the end.

LoobyLou

#37 Post by LoobyLou »

I plan on getting them whitened, getting them filed so the edges are straight and possibly a veneer or bonding to improve the appearance of my lower right canine which has been worn over the years. I'd also like to get some gum lasering done so the same amount of tooth is showing on a few teeth at the front!

That's the theory anyway - depends if I can actually afford it!

LoobyLou xx
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*