Poll: At What Age Did You Get Your Braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

At What Age Did You Start Your Current Orthodontic Treatment?

18 to 21
15%
22 to 29
36%
30 to 39
29%
40 to 49
13%
50 to 59
6%
60 plus
1%

Total votes: 2072

Keschluter

Re: Poll: At What Age Did You Get Your Braces?

#391 Post by Keschluter »

I was almost 53 when I got my braces. I hope to have them off before I turn 55. It took a long time to make the decision to get braces & now I'm so glad I did. The change in my teeth is amazing. I wish I had done this years age.

Arshi

#392 Post by Arshi »

Im 20 and will be getting my braces on tomorrow! I do wish i had done it earlier though!

kiwibug

#393 Post by kiwibug »

probably 22 for me by the time we get it all rolling. 21 now, but have 2 extractions left before we set a date. Getting far more nervous than I expected

Smurf77

#394 Post by Smurf77 »

34, wish Id done it in my twenties

Lamis

#395 Post by Lamis »

29 when I got mine on. Also got Rpe it worked great my whole face has changed for the better!!! Many ppl said Rpe don't work in adults. They were wrong it worked.

curious19

Re:

#396 Post by curious19 »

WOW!! This is the HOTTEST topic to speak about.

I am almost 18 years old now and got my braces a couple of weeks ago.
thisisme wrote:I was 16 when I got my braces.

crazybeautiful, I'm the same. I need surgery too. I didn't know my whole life though, I found out when I was 15.
Still at 15, I decided to go for it. It's not going to go away magically.
Hi thisisme :-1 !!
In my opinion , 15 years of age is too young to get an orthognatic surgery done. Thats because you are still in your growth process. The male body stops growing when the epiphyseal bone plates completely seals between the ages of 18 and 20 years. Women also typically stop growing around 18 years of age, but there are many hormone factors that could affect growth rate. To get to the point: making your mind up for a surgery during your growth process is not very commendable unless you have an openbite, crossbite or underbite.

Please note: My opinion is merely just not an opinion. Although I have no formal qualifications, my opinion is based on scientific analysis and research studies concerning the growth and development of the human carniofacial skeleton, and scientific studies relating to anatomy.

Heavyweight

#397 Post by Heavyweight »

Had them as a teenager and now have them again in my early 20s for jaw surgery. Really wish my first orthodontist had told me about jaw surgery. My guess is that he deliberately avoided doing so because he didn't want to deal with a surgical case.

Big Tex

#398 Post by Big Tex »

got them at 39 prior to my jaw surgery. had them on for 19 months. i turn 41 in a few months. i hope to have them off before then. in June, my orthodontist said they'd be off in September or October. well, it's mid-October and no debanding date. but i go in Monday, so i'm hoping to set it then. got the Power Chain and zigzag elastics going, so i should be at the end.

Webbie

#399 Post by Webbie »

Got them at 25.. that is 2 months back.

Mirai404

#400 Post by Mirai404 »

Age 25 years old... It's been 10 months...

Xenbuf

#401 Post by Xenbuf »

I am 36 and I have had braces for about a week. I was supposed to get them in my teens, but I threw a fit so my parents just gave up. If they had made me get them, I guarantee I would have used pliers to pull them off. I was a brat back then. :oops: It is for the best that I have them now. No way am I taking pliers to them when I had to pay for them with my own money! :D

No day but today...

rawr101

#402 Post by rawr101 »

I just got mine on and I'm 24

AdultGettingBraces

#403 Post by AdultGettingBraces »

I am about to get them at 26. Almost got the at 14 but had a bad experience with that orthodontist and it put me off and just the longer I left it the harder it was to do something about it. Its something I really regret but am excited to be doing it now.

juicyjuicy

#404 Post by juicyjuicy »

Just turned 20, and got them on yesterday! At 18 I was hesitant about being "too old" to get braces. But as I "matured" I figured what the heck, better sooner than later. Nice teeth and a great smile would definitely help me as I'm pursuing a career in marketing and PR. I was quite excited to finally get them on, and the motivation of having an amazing smile/teeth in 2 years is just great!

I am not mentally prepared for the pain and irritation though. It's been 2 days and I already feel like my head is going to explode.

Anyone also having to get corrective jaw surgery as part of their orthodontic treatment as well?

Big Tex

#405 Post by Big Tex »

juicyjuicy wrote:Just turned 20, and got them on yesterday! At 18 I was hesitant about being "too old" to get braces. But as I "matured" I figured what the heck, better sooner than later. Nice teeth and a great smile would definitely help me as I'm pursuing a career in marketing and PR. I was quite excited to finally get them on, and the motivation of having an amazing smile/teeth in 2 years is just great!

I am not mentally prepared for the pain and irritation though. It's been 2 days and I already feel like my head is going to explode.

Anyone also having to get corrective jaw surgery as part of their orthodontic treatment as well?
i had jaw surgery in January. seems like forever ago. can't believe it's been over 9 months. but i still have the braces. one of these days . . .