how can you afford braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jzaboo

#46 Post by jzaboo »

My parents weren't even into paying for regular dentistry, much less ortho. I could relay all kinds of dental-related nightmares. But, knowing me, I wouldn't have worn my retainer, and they'd be crooked again. Plus, previously, they were going to have to put a bridge to replace a tooth when they moved my midline over. Now I can get an implant without hurting any adjacent teeth. So I forgive them, may they rest in peace, and I'm glad I have them now!

babymetalmouth

#47 Post by babymetalmouth »

I really didnt realize braces cost so much!!! Im lucky becuase NHS covers me.. but a month after i got my removable brace there has been something about making people pay for it! My parents would have payed for them, ever.

Reading this has made me want to look after my races more and make sure I do everything Im supposeed to do!

I dont know if this helps anyone, but some HONDA's in England give a dental plan for all workers and families.. The one where I do does anyway.

Sam

fantasia

#48 Post by fantasia »

That sucks. I wanted braces as a kid too but my parents couldn't afford them. I lived with my teeth until I was 22 because I couldn't afford it on my own. But the more time went on, the more I was determined to get them. I had a consultation just to get an idea. And it turned out to be 2 or 3x MORE expensive than I thought! So I was really discouraged. But bottom line, I wanted them and I made it work. I saved up money for a down payment, put some on my credit card and budgeted out for the rest. I knew it meant sacrificing some things to have the extra money but to me it was worth it. Over the 2 years I've had braces I've gotten a few raises at work so that has helped me out, but it's all been out of my own pocket, no insurance. My advice is just if you want it bad enough, start saving up for it. See where you can cut expenses in your budget and save some $$$. It may take a little longer than you like but I'm sure you can do it!
Braces on: September 9, 2004
Treatment time: 2 years