Share your experience with expanders... An update!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

peach

#46 Post by peach »

Thanks for the feedback Filip. My upper expander hasn't caused me too much trouble. I'm getting used to eating with it and I'm noticing that not as much food gets stuck up there like it used to :HugeGrin: . However, this lower expander is awful. I think my speech is getting a little better but it still ends up hurting my tongue. I use wax on it at night to give my tongue a break from rubbing on it. However, when I try to use wax throughout the day, it never stays put. I have to talk all day at work and when I do, my tongue rubs against the bar, making the wax fall off and causing my tongue to feel sore again :soremouth: . The more my tongue gets sore, the more my speech is affected because I'm trying to avoid contact with the metal bar. At least some of the sores have started to heal since I've been trying to use wax whenever possible.

Debbie

#47 Post by Debbie »

Hi Peach,

I have just got an upper expander (day four), its a removeable one with a key. I'm finding it hard to talk properly (mainly because of the lump of plastic at the front) and all the saliva in my mouth and like you I did try the "search" function on this site but didn't find anything that answered my questions.

I'm going to try using the passage that has been provided and like you my job involves talking all the time. I am also starting a new job (same company but on a different floor) in 3 weeks so I am anxious that I can talk confidently by then.

I'd love to hear how you are getting on...Debbie

peach

#48 Post by peach »

Hi Debbie :)
The first couple of days with an expander are definitely very trying. My upper expander is not removable but does have the key. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and I don't even notice it anymore (except when I'm eating and some food gets caught). It hasn't caused too much trouble with my speech but there were a few words that were difficult for me to pronounce, such as "cute". The weird thing is that now that I have the lower expander, which has caused a great deal of problems with my speech (especially words with "s" in it), I can now pronounce the words that I originally had problems with perfectly :huh: .
I must admit that I have been feeling very embarrassed since I got the lower expander in just last Tuesday. Talking at work can sometimes feel like a nightmare and I have to keep reminding myself that others don't seem to have a problem with it like I do. At first, when my upper expander caused me to have some minor speech problems, I just laughed it off. I found it humorous :biglaf: . But when my lower expander increased my speech problem, I just wanted to hide for the next 3-6 months until the thing was removed :paperbag: .
Since running off and hiding for a few months isn't an option, I've been practicing reading out loud and have to slow down my speech, which must have helped some since my coworkers have commented that I sound much better. I've also recorded myself a few times to get an idea of what others are hearing. Surprisingly, I sound a lot worse to myself. I still have a lot of practicing to do but at least I can speak a little more clearly than when I first got my lower expander.
Best of luck with your expander. It will get better. Just make sure that you keep the expander in. I think that if mine was removable, I might be tempted to take it out to talk. It's a good thing that mine is cemented in tight :lol: !

renocivik

my experiences

#49 Post by renocivik »

I have had top and bottom expanders since Thursday.. so today is day 4. They are both removable... and I am instructed to turn the key only once a week for a month. I am guessing this is because i am 26 years old.. and i didnt have the oral surgery to separate my palate... so he is just having me turn it once a week to see if my palate will move on its own without surgery? who knows.. just a guess... id rather just have the surgery.. and then be able to turn once a day or every other day.. and get this over with. Talking has been quite a mission... as well as eating... as well as maintaining the right amount of saliva in my mouth.. haha... I am just now getting used to the feeling of not having any room in my mouth for my tongue... in fact.. its already starting to feel a little bit wierd trying to talk without the expanders in my mouth.. after 4 days.. my bite already is starting to feel a little different.. hardly much at all.. but when your bite is a certain way for 26 years.. and it changes 1/4 of a half of a fraction of a millimeter.. you definitely know.. I have no idea how long i will have to have these expanders in my mouth.. ill know in 4 weeks.. hopefully by then i will know how to talk... i will say though.. i think it would be easier with permanent expanders... without all this acrylic in my mouth...

adrienne

#50 Post by adrienne »

I'm on my first week with my upper expander nearly second week and I can talk fine except for words which require my tongue to reach my palette..
Right now I've already gotten a gap and I'm so freaked out cause my mid-line is now off and my bite is totally different and my nose and my two front teeth hurt :(
I was wondering whether the gap will get bigger after every turn?"
;ADRIENNE
RPE for one month: 45 turns
quad-helix, lingual arch
ceramic braces for 18 months

braces off!

renocivik

#51 Post by renocivik »

i am guessing it will get bigger and bigger as you turn the key more and more and your palate spreads apart... but as ive read in many other posts.. it will go back on its own within a month (and sometimes your front teeth will even overlap) but im guessing you will be getting braces right after expanders (some people get braces at the same time as expanders).. and that will correct that gap between your teeth...

i wouldnt freak out too much... just look at the big picture... thats what im trying to do... focus on the end result... if having a perfect smile for the rest of my life.. means a little pain and suffering for a year or 2.. so be it... its hard tho.. when sometimes you feel like you are going in the wrong direction...

myself.. i am 26.. decided that i no longer want to hate my smile... so i went to the dentist... to get it all fixed.. and in the process... they pulled my 2 back molars on the bottom.. and gave me these expanders..which are making my mouth and nose sore (mouth sore.. nose tingly itchy feeling).. and it really feels like i am taking a huge step in the wrong direction.. but i know sometimes you gotta take a few steps back.. in order to step forward in the right direction... ya know..

so dont worry about the gap.. heck.. be proud of your gap.. because you know its part of the process to having a beautiful smile.. :)

gunter8888

#52 Post by gunter8888 »

I got gaps between some of my front teeth when I had my first expander. Once expansion is complete they all slide together nicely.

The best part of expansion is that I now have a wider, more full smile. It was well worth the hassles.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

adrienne

#53 Post by adrienne »

yeah im getting braces after my expander but the gap is freaking me out a lot cause its already pretty big and i still have 18 turns to go!!!
by the time i finish with all my turns im scared it gonna be humongous :(

okay so does anyone have any advice to soothe the PAIN on my front two teeth?? :cry:
;ADRIENNE
RPE for one month: 45 turns
quad-helix, lingual arch
ceramic braces for 18 months

braces off!

gunter8888

#54 Post by gunter8888 »

Sorry to hear about the pain. I can definitely relate. I used Ibuprofen and took solace in the fact that the pain rarely lasted more than a day or two.

The gaps do get pretty big. Personally, I loved seeing the gap widen. It meant progress! Once your braces go on your teeth will have plenty of room to move and the line up rather quickly. Once my top braces were on my teeth came together beautifully and now they look awesome.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

felix the helix

#55 Post by felix the helix »

I am 34 and have a quad helix expander which was fitted a month and a half ago. It feels fine now but for the first few days I wanted to cry :( I had some soreness from the hooks on the molar bands but then wax became my new best friend :)
I'm getting a bit frustrated :Questions: with the seeming lack of movement with my teeth - no gap etc. Is that common with quad helix appliances? or because of my age? it seems that those with a hyrax get some movement quite quickly.

QuadSquad

OW

#56 Post by QuadSquad »

I just had my expanders (upper and lower) put in last Thursday. I sound ridiculous (cannot pronounce s's and other words) and I cannot eat anything except mashed potatoes and pudding.

I have Quad Helix expanders that do not require a key to turn, they are spring-loaded. Has anyone had these?? When will I regain my ability to speak like a normal person and eat food? I've already lost 5 pounds and as glad as I am about that.. I am so hungry!! Every time I try to eat something with some substance to it, I fight with the expanders to get the food out of the wires and I've choked on anything with stringy cheese in it.

Are there any foods that I can eat besides mashed potatoes? My teeth are still really sore as well but I've been pushing myself to try more foods.. it's not working!

Has anyone had these type of expanders before?

felix the helix

#57 Post by felix the helix »

Quad Squad,
My expander is also quad helix with springs. It took me about a week and a half before I could eat properly - I too was on the mashed potato diet. I also found I could manage porridge and bread dipped into soups.
It will get better, I remember waking up one morning and thought I could manage some chips - so tried it and was fine....and celebrated with a quarter pounder! Once your confidence imporoves you will be eating normally before you know it.

QuadSquad

#58 Post by QuadSquad »

Thank you so much for the encouragement Felix! I tried oatmeal tonight and that worked but it is stuck everywhere! What a pain!

felix the helix

#59 Post by felix the helix »

I just remembered something else I did. I bought some meal replacement milkshakes - the kind dieters use - cos they fill you up and I would keep one with me for times when I couldnt bear the pressure on my teeth or couldnt get to a toothbrush. I will prob do that again when I get braced because it worked well. I get very cranky if i'm hungry you see! :wink:

QuadSquad

Pain

#60 Post by QuadSquad »

I woke up with some pain this morning from the lower expander brackets that go against the back of my 2 front teeth (on my lower jaw) digging into the soft tissue just below my teeth... I'm afraid of the skin growing over the wires... is that possible? Is this normal?