Butterflies Before Being Braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

decisionmade

#46 Post by decisionmade »

How is it going everyone!!..I have my first adjustment this thursday and I can't wait!!! thank goodness i have seen positive changes or I fear I would be miserable!!..I'm somewhat used to the braces but still wish I wasn't so aware of them..i've been trying really hard to get out socially and be seen but even after 5-6 weeks its still not the most comfortable thing to do as a single woman..but I am getting better!
I eat almost anything now but just have to think about when I'll be able to brush and plan when I can eat..hoping all is well mmgreco and Geri!
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

Geri

#47 Post by Geri »

Hello!

That's great news, that you've seen positive changes. There are lots more of those to come! I have seen positive changes too. On the other hand, a crooked tooth on the bottom looks worse than it did before, but then I am expecting things to get worse before they get better (lucky I found that's what often happens from reading posts on this board or I would have been worried). My first adjustment was last monday and today (a week later) is the first time my teeth are getting back to 'normal' (ie not so sore). I got my lower braces on at that time too and you might've seen my posts about not being able to chew and having sore lips - I was a bit miserable until I got used to it. Still, I got purple ligs on my lowers which I really like (I will post some pics soon).

I know what you mean about getting out socially. I go along thinking I am fairly comfortable with having braces then suddenly, out of the blue, I will feel uncomfortable talking with a stranger - but it usually doesn't last long. It must be harder for you as a single woman (I'm married). I don't know if this will help, but I don't think braces aren't unattractive - they are a sign of self-esteem and postive change! :D We should smile wide and often, braced or not. :mrgreen:

Good luck at your adjustment on Thurs!
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

genxsis

#48 Post by genxsis »

Butterflies in my stomach? More like yellow jackets! I think I'll be braced in about a month from now, and I worry myself sick about it every day!

Hope this helps! LOL :)

Geri

#49 Post by Geri »

ooo yellow jackets! ouch! hehehe

genxsis....I worried too - I think everyone does. I almost cancelled my appointment on the day before I was due to get my uppers and I am so very glad I didn't. This is a good place to answer any questions or concerns you have beforehand and being prepared will help alot. Good luck!

mmgreco

#50 Post by mmgreco »

Genxsis - I too almost canceled my appointment a couple days before I got my braces on...I'm somewhat glad I didn't.

DM & Geri - I am still having problems with these things, I still can't bite down on anything! I can't wait until my first adjustment Thursday to ask my ortho if this is right!! Everybody I talk to says it's because I have a powerchain all the way across my front teeth and I have one on each side on the bottom to close my extraction gaps. Maybe he will make the adjustment so I can eat this time......I am sick of smashing everthing on the roof of my mouth. But, hey, I should look on the bright side of things, at least I won't choke since I am cutting my food up so small :roll:
Live today as if it were your last......

Geri

#51 Post by Geri »

hey mmgreco - I have to mash food on the roof of my mouth too - mushy food is my best friend. I cooked some 'bake yourself' cookies today - but only until they went gooey and then ate them up - yummm (I did feel a bit sick afterwards though). :) I am also enjoying rice noodles - cooked well and chopped up finely. You have a great, positive attitude and that will help you through this challenging phase. :-** Hope your ortho can help on Thursday!

Gel

#52 Post by Gel »

I worried myself sick this weekend. I have had the worst migraine since saturday night. I am getting my teeth pulled tomorrow. I'm really worried about the caonyons that will bebetween my teeth for the next little while, let alone getting braces in two weeks, what can I do to calm myslef down?

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel