Approach difference US/europe?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

happyhelen

#46 Post by happyhelen »

OK I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THE RANTS AGAINST NHS.

True evry one is entitled to there opinions, but i am starting a 24 hour sfjidt in accident and emergency in 2 hours, and on a friday night as a doctor its not the nicest job at times.

Now "waiting lists". yes they can be long buut we have waiting lists for reasons - they also grow for reasons.
Did you realise following recent bombings and natural disasters our lists grew as we brought over patiets form other countries to treat? non urgent patients are delayed for this. We must prioritise patients and the reality is everyone thinks that there operation should not have been delayed - but if you were faced with 50 plus car accidents a week you would understand how these unplanned things have affect.

and as for everyone 'knowing ' people who work in NHS trusts - DO YOU?! do you know what its like to read stuff like this becasue its not nice.
i work 50 + hours a week plus all my exams + at least 10 hours on call.

Is any one part of the NHS improvement boards? or will you just type in here why its so bad but not join in the community hospitals groups who ask how to improve. Have you reported your complaints to the relevent trusts? Have you gone through "PALS" patient liasion groups? it just i always listen to complaints and when i say 2well what was the reply from the trusts' no one ever has reported it.

ok im now off to get ready fro work to no doubt get abuse from drunks becasue of my braces who will then expect me to treat them. thats not your fault i know but i need to ran and again eat chocolate

happyhelen

#47 Post by happyhelen »

AND ALSO,,,,,,,,

the reason NHS is overspent is becasue its a SERVICE. its not a buisness UNLIKE PRIVATE.
Private care is owned by stakeholders and must provide financial rewards.
THATS WHY PRiVATE HOSPITALS DO NOT HAVE ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY.

SO!
THATS WHY ITS OVERSPENT.
i really neeed to learn to type and spell

mm

#48 Post by mm »

I don't believe there's so much of a difference.

Appearances are important around the world. Maybe a little more in the US than in Europe or elsewhere. But over here, too, workout centers for all ages are all over the place, everyone seems to be jogging to keep in shape and so on.

The difference might be a little more obvious in regard to improving the appearance through medical means. Liposuction, nose jobs, breast jobs, hair implants, braces on adults seem to be more common in the US than elsewhere. But there are not worlds apart.

Braces are a bit different. You can see them as something entirely cosmetic, like hair implants, or as a means to solve a health problem that needs to be addressed for medical reasons (something for which hair implants obviously don't qualify). In the US, it seems to me and it is rather obvious as far as adults are concerned, braces have moved from the medical category to the self-improvement category. Most likely, this won't be as much the case over here (even if you'll wait another ten years, those trends are all coming from overseas), for the same reasons that the nose jobs and the hair implants are not as frequent -- or maybe simply not being talked about as much?

As far as children in braces are concerned, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are parents in the US taking their kids to the ortho because

a) they want their kids to have a perfect smile,
b) they want to correct medical issues or
c) everyone else who can afford it does it?

Over here, it's b), and yes, it's because that's what the insurance (no matter whether private or public) pays for. That's likely why braces in Europe are still more seen in the medical category rather than in the self-improvement category. You answer my question, butterfly, you might just as well answer your own.

mm

jenns91civic

#49 Post by jenns91civic »

I'd rather have to wait for a year but still go for free than have to wait forever (literally) because there's no way to afford it. I've been off my asthma meds for about two years now because I can't afford them. I can't even afford to go to the doctor to ask for samples. I wish we had some form of the NHS here. I know it has its flaws (you shouldnt have to wait a year to see a doc!!) but at least healthcare is accessible. Every country's system has its ups and downs but in my opinion, one that people can actually use without having to be millionaires is better than what the US has.

My two cents--just my opinions and not meant to start a flame war or hurt any feelings :)

Jenn
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

jenns91civic

#50 Post by jenns91civic »

Glad you weren't offended! To be quite honest, I hadn't read all of this thread. I read the first couple pages when it was brand new then never read it until last night.

There are some programs for help, but they are for very very low income people, girls my age who have kids, and the elderly. It's like they reward people my age for having kids by giving them free everything. Kinda backwards if you ask me....Drug companies have some programs to get free or super cheap meds but you have to be able to get to the doctor to have them fill out the paperwork. I start a new job in January and can get health and dental insurance for $180/month so that will be nice, if I can afford it anyway.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys