The real deal with Damon?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anna

#61 Post by Anna »

thanks everyone for shedding more light on this. i just made a whole list of questions for my ortho.
upper row (Metal) installed March 23
lower row (Damon3) to be installed April 22
2-year metal mouth sentence

twinklehunkydory

#62 Post by twinklehunkydory »

well... update...

I think im a bit screwed on the damon front.

My only hope, the only ortho that I phoned that, I was led to believe, had experience with damons...

turns out they thought I already had them and just needed adjustments (wtf?? i never said that!). They have never, as an ortho practice, used damons. However if I come in for a consult for £55 I could be advised on invisalign (which is very new to them as well) or clear brackets.

no no no no no.

I kno everyone here says ortho more important than bracket, that damons have problems like all others, that most brace systems try to reduce extractions. I know I know... I just had my heart set on them.

Why does my country have to be so bloody backward? :cry:
dare to reach for your dreams, and dare to live those dreams

twinklehunkydory

#63 Post by twinklehunkydory »

KK wrote:Sorry to read about the confusion twinklehunkydory!

Why are you so set on having damons? Maybe this experience was to help you get past that, and instead look at the skill of the orthos and not worry about the brackets they use.

You asked an interesting question about the difference between damons 1, 2 and 3. I can't find an answer, but I suspect like many systems of brackets they're evolving. The 3's are part clear, part metal ... which gives a difference appearance to the 2's. I can't find information on the 1's. With ceramics they didn't used to have a metal sleeve for the archwire to run smoothly through. This did cause some issues and now most brands have included a metal sleeve so that time frames will not vary.
Why does my country have to be so bloody backward?
Are you sure they are, and not like my ortho, who's used damons but was not happy with the equipment or results?

Keep an open mind! Good luck with your search for your ortho ... and make sure you have your list of questions ready! :banana:
No, I'm definately definately sure, the 7 or so orthos I phoned had never used damon before. For most of them things like invisalign and ceramics are considered brand new.

I just latched onto the way damons reduce the need for extractions. I realise, before anyone swiftly replies to this particular point, that most orthos now try to reduce extractions anyway. I just liked the idea of having a broader smile, without having to go down the palate expander route.... it just seemed an easier solution.

BUT, I realise nothing in the world of braces is easy.

Also, although, as I did previously mention, that the skill of the ortho is very important, the brackets must matter, otherwise there wouldn't be so many people researching the different kinds etc.

That's the downside of living in the UK though, orthodontics here is slow to catch up on the U.S.

LizzyG

#64 Post by LizzyG »

I live in the UK and have Damon 3 braces, I have crowding but haven't had any extractions. I've only had the braces on for about 2 months, but already my arch has widened and started to create space for my wonky teeth.

My ortho uses Damon, ceramic, invisalign and of course traditional metal braces. He recommended I had Damon due to the crowding and being able to (hopefully) avoid extractions. I'm really happy with the braces so far and haven't had any problems whatsoever and I'm really pleased with my progress.

Where abouts in the UK are you? I asked my normal dentist for a recommendation for an ortho, and he referred me to him. Maybe you live near my ortho?

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

missingu

#65 Post by missingu »

Regarding US v. UK on ortho-

While I love the US and wouldn't choose to live elsewhere (just as a matter of comfort where I am), the UK system has - at least as I understand it - some real benefits over the US system for health and dental care.

I'm sure we could have a long thread on that topic, but from what I understand, NHS covers basic braces for adults. Technology aside, that's amazing to me. Maybe I have my facts wrong, though.

I still think there is a good tradeoff for NHS versus US health care system, as my job does not provide health insurance so I have to buy my own at $448 (USD) a month. But then, the grass is always greener...

twinklehunkydory

#66 Post by twinklehunkydory »

missingu wrote:Regarding US v. UK on ortho-

While I love the US and wouldn't choose to live elsewhere (just as a matter of comfort where I am), the UK system has - at least as I understand it - some real benefits over the US system for health and dental care.

I'm sure we could have a long thread on that topic, but from what I understand, NHS covers basic braces for adults. Technology aside, that's amazing to me. Maybe I have my facts wrong, though.

I still think there is a good tradeoff for NHS versus US health care system, as my job does not provide health insurance so I have to buy my own at $448 (USD) a month. But then, the grass is always greener...
Up until the age of 18 basic braces are free, then as an adult, all treatment from check ups upwards, costs money. The NHS pays half of what it would cost, the patient pays the other half.

I wouldn't live anywhere else, I'm just frustrated about the lack of vision that a lot of those in the dentist profession have here. I read pf an ortho in London who practised in America for many years because of the "can do" attitude.

Also, there are actually a lack of dentists here - when a new dentist opens it actually makes the local news, with pictures of people queuing round the block to register!

Also, the NHS has recently changed something to do with its funding of dental practices. Dentists now need 'x' amount of paying adults to get certin money benefits from the government. Those that are perhaps in a deprived area where people are on benefits and don't have to pay, or people who are students and get exemption etc, means those dentists are forced to clear their schedules for private patients to make up the books.

Still, every system has problems, and overall I think the NHS system is a blessing.